Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is de rigueur in suiting for men these days?

D

Deleted member 18477

waistcoats only look good on beckham.

go for a 2 piece def! and 2 buttons! i bought a couple for work. didnt spend a fortune. only £240 on each. i'd rather replace them every few years rather than go really expensive and get to the stage where you just cant get rid as you've spent so much on it originally. i bought 1 dark charcoal grey and 1 slightly light grey, but not too light. a mid grey. (obviously if your loaded then why not spend more. hugo boss etc are bound to do bloody nice ones! i personally cant justify spending that much on a suit though. to me its a waste of money and everyone says i look very smart anyway. i'm also not a twaty banker in london who competes with other twaty bankers to look the best.)

wear a nice shirt and tie as well and your look the dogs bollocks! and you will feel it too. dont be afraid to try a load of suits on. get the one that fits well BUT is also comfortable to wear.

it was easy for me as i'm fairly slim but there is a suit for everyone!

I'm six foot and skinny, what would suit me best?

Do not get one of those fashionable too-small suits with the silly jackets that look like you pinched it off a mannequin and didn't check the size!

If you are skinny, don't get a dark suit as black is 'slimming' and you need to be seen.
Avoid pinstripes.

images

Don't forget you may need to get ties that go well with the suit, and go for something versatile so that you can feel comfortable about your appearance when you finish work.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Plain skinnyish suits seem to be popular at the moment. Navy or black nothing too exciting. Stripes seem to have died a death for now.

My choices in terms of brands

Cheaper end off the peg:

M&S

Reiss

More expensive off the peg

Paul smith (seem to last the longest of any suit I have)

Richard James

Ozwald boateng

Bespoke

Richard James

Nb I've had very bad experiences with lower end Armani suits (especially emporio) and Hugo boss is generally dreadful - the trousers always wear out quickly and they get shiny within 7-8 months

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Depends what it's for. Debenhams do some good everyday suits which I then get tailored so look good. Ben Sherman are decent for everyday purposes and do some nice colours.

For higher end agree with Paul Smith. Always go a bit bigger and get them tailored though, as it will look better than off the rack and then be taken out if you put on weight

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Plain skinnyish suits seem to be popular at the moment. Navy or black nothing too exciting. Stripes seem to have died a death for now.

My choices in terms of brands

Cheaper end off the peg:

M&S

Reiss

More expensive off the peg

Paul smith (seem to last the longest of any suit I have)

Richard James

Ozwald boateng

Bespoke

Richard James

Nb I've had very bad experiences with lower end Armani suits (especially emporio) and Hugo boss is generally dreadful - the trousers always wear out quickly and they get shiny within 7-8 months

Boateng suits are lovely. I almost bought one for my wedding.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
2 piece certainly. 2 button jacket probably. Personally I don't like pinstripe, prefer darker colours, usually blue for me. Wear one every day for work in the City, and really don't mind. It's a little like a uniform, and saves me having to think about what to wear ot 4:45 every morning.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Oh and another thing ....

I pretty much think made to measure and bespoke are pointless as I tend to find my weight fluctuates especially between summer and winter.

What I tend to do is buy a suit somewhere in the middle of the two weights. Paul smith 38 - 34/30 fits me perfectly so when I need a new one il often just buy off eBay (usually for half the price) . It really helps if you can find a suit maker that fits the way you like off the peg then you can just go back to them every time without worrying.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I am afraid that asking me for fashion tips is a bit like asking my wife's opinion of the offside rule. This is when you need advice from someone in a shop who knows what they are talking about (as opposed to a Saturday temp who is just on commission).

I'm six foot and skinny, what would suit me best?

airman

Patriae Fidus
Jan 25, 2012
Salisbury Plain
Being a fashion leader, I see this coming back into fashion - but perhaps gradually. Maybe best to wait, if you want to create an impression of suave business attitude.

If your work is in a forward-thinking industry, then it can work;

images

I wish I had the confidence to wear something like that, it is awesome.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
A few years since I last posed this question, and once again I am on the search for a couple of new suits.

Common sense still says dark, un-patterned, single-breasted, slim-fit, two buttons with a crisp white shirt, plain tie and hint of white handkerchief in left breast pocket. But what do I know? What's the latest in the world of gentleman's tailoring?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here