Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] What is best ? A long breakfast, a long lunch or a long dinner?

What is the best?

• Breakfast

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Lunch

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • Dinner

Votes: 17 25.0%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A long brunch is not an option.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Always a long lunch

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
For us working classes, dinner is the main meal of the day, but a good long lunch lasts into the evening. So must therefore be the winningest choice?

Last edited:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
My dining habits altered a lot over the past couple of years, partly through preference, partly through pecuniary necessity.

In leaner times, if I had to pick one meal a day it would effectively be brunch.

My gut doesn’t wake up first thing, it wants tea or coffee, but not solid food.

Around 10:30-11:00 the desire for food creeps in, and provided I didn’t have any activities planned in the evening a hearty brunch could fill me for the day, though an earlier than usual bedtime was recommended to prevent hunger making it difficult to sleep. Bed before 10pm for safety.

A different story if I needed to remain active into the evening however, where some additional fuel would be required. I’ve marked lunch in the poll, as to me the time I’d eat on those days was closer to lunch than breakfast.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Best part of going away is the 'all you can eat' Premier Inn breakfast. Pint of juice, 2 coffees, toast and 3 sausages, 3 bacon, 2 hash browns, scrambled eggs and beans (there's a subject, beans for breakfast?). Downside is I have to make two stops later in the day to, err, well you know.
Long lunch would be a pub lunch so afternoon nap required.
But living in Spain previously, we'd go out at 4:00 and sit around for a meal for hours. Even now when we go out my first words to any waitress/waiter is 'we're in no rush'. I hate main courses arriving just as they clear the plates away for starters. In fact I tend to order warm breads, olives and oils first without giving my main order so they go slowly.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A long lunch at Claridges is heaven .
A long breakfast from 7 till 10 in a greasy spoon cafe, sets you up to go and splash some plaster about for £500 for the next 5 hours, before knocking off for an early session in the boozer.
I guess a Pilot might prefer a long lunch, possibly a bit like being at work though, switch auto pilot on, chat with the person Sat next to you for a few hours while a young lady brings you food and drink.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I've gone for lunch. I'm having a birthday brunch tomorrow though, all you can eat Texas BBQ and all you can drink alcohol from 12-4. Can't wait! Supposed to be having a breakfast before hand as well because we will need to sober up from tonight! 🙂

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've gone for lunch. I'm having a birthday brunch tomorrow though, all you can eat Texas BBQ and all you can drink alcohol from 12-4. Can't wait! Supposed to be having a breakfast before hand as well because we will need to sober up from tonight! 🙂

Where's that?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I hope you have a great day, fwiw the above sounds horrific, I’m sure it won’t be 😀

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Working on the old adage that ‘A meal without wine is called breakfast’, we are left with a choice of two. I’ll go for lunch as that can very easily become a 4 hour wine tasting session, or more, without changing venue. Very difficult to do that in the evening.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The utter treat is a long lunch, by which I mean start at midday and keep going until you get thrown out as the evening seating starts to emerge. I do this with a few friends about once a year, always at a BYO restaurant. But it requires a day off, so what I more regularly enjoy is a long dinner either at a restaurant, round our parts, or at friends.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
PS probably the best one -- long lunch, that is -- I've had is at The Sportsman with their tasting menu. About 13 courses, a bottle of pop, a very nice red Burgundy, and then something sweet. Lasted about 5 or 6 hours. Sublime food.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here