Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is a false number 9?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That's Jonathan Wilson. His book on the history of football tactics is highly recommended. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inverting-...-Tactics/dp/1474609295/ref=asc_df_1474609295/

He wrote this excellent piece last year on the press. Something that obviously Potter is also very taken by. As is Klopp.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ng-tactical-forefront-germany-jonathan-wilson

I've been slowly working my way through his other book Angels With Dirty Faces: The Footballing History of Argentina

I say slowly because as much as I love football I'm actually finding the most interesting parts are the bits of non-footballing history he's peppered in.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
If he hates false nines what does he think of the others - up front you can have a advanced forward (sturridge) deep lying forward (Messi), target man (Duncan Ferguson), poacher (Liniker) , complete forward (Kane), trequartista(maradonna) false nine (Firminho)
Either side you can have a inverted winger (salah), ruamdeuter (pascal Gross) wide target man (Bendtner at Arsenal)

In midfield apart from the obvious you can have a mezzalla (modric), carrilero (Fabinho) anchor man (khedria), regista (pirlo) half back (Xabi Alonso)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Another piece of footballing terminology that has crept in!! My understanding, correct or not is to avoid having a striker playing in the recognised role of a traditional "No.9 " who would typically play right up against the back 4, primarily to engage the centre-backs. With the false 9, a player will drop deeper or into any number of positions meaning the Centre-backs have to decide whether to follow, leaving spaces or to stay, leaving a player unmarked creating an overload for the opposition midfield. It seems to work best with midfielders running from deep to fill the holes left by the false 9, making them more difficult to pick up. This is where it differs a little from a simple case of a No.9 dropping deep t get the ball e.g. Harry Kane. There maybe more technically accurate descriptions, but this is my basic understanding!!

Despite your modesty, I'd say that this is one of the better descriptions.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's basically an unconventional lone centre forward. Typically, it'll be a player with attributes more commonly associated with an attacking midfielder. Rather than acting as a target man, the false 9 will drop deep, thus drawing out the centre backs and creating space.

Think Cesc Fábregas for Spain, Foden for Man City or Trosssard for Brighton :)

Think also Firmino who, for me, is the master of that particular art. As others have said, it's not just about the position itself, it's about how it's integrated alongside other players, and also about making the opposition make (uncomfortable) decisions.
In terms of the former and staying on the theme of Firmino, the beauty and ruthlessness of Liverpool's system is that while Firmino is dropping deep and finding pockets, Salah and Mane stay higher up the pitch and wider. This disrupts the defensive organisation of the opposition, especially those playing a flat back four; it means that their CBs have the (uncomfortable) decision of whether to go wide to challenge and/or counteract Salah or Mane thereby 'splitting the CBs' (which the defensive team wants to avoid) or to retain their defensive shape.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's Jonathan Wilson. His book on the history of football tactics is highly recommended. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inverting-...-Tactics/dp/1474609295/ref=asc_df_1474609295/

He wrote this excellent piece last year on the press. Something that obviously Potter is also very taken by. As is Klopp.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ng-tactical-forefront-germany-jonathan-wilson

Agreed. If you want to follow football tactics and formations, no-one is better at it than Jonathan Wilson. Good writer too.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If he hates false nines what does he think of the others - up front you can have a advanced forward (sturridge) deep lying forward (Messi), target man (Duncan Ferguson), poacher (Liniker) , complete forward (Kane), trequartista(maradonna) false nine (Firminho)
Either side you can have a inverted winger (salah), ruamdeuter (pascal Gross) wide target man (Bendtner at Arsenal)

In midfield apart from the obvious you can have a mezzalla (modric), carrilero (Fabinho) anchor man (khedria), regista (pirlo) half back (Xabi Alonso)

Keep 'em coming.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
False 9?

Pah. What you need is a Raumdeuter :)

Calling Pascal......

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

OK we get it. You play Football Manager :clap:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What was Lamps when he come on?

Was he a mild mannered janitor?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports