Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What is a "Bognor Regis"?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Whitehawk fans have a song about "I dont ever want to go to Bognor" or somesuch. Apart from the obvious, as can be deduced from the other comments, I`ve often wondered why they sing this.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Whitehawk fans have a song about "I dont ever want to go to Bognor" or somesuch. Apart from the obvious, as can be deduced from the other comments, I`ve often wondered why they sing this.

' We are NEVER EVER EVER... going back to Bognor'

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Used to work there for a while, always glad to be on the road out. Used to be lots of Polish and Romanians living Bognor that worked crop picking and packing locally, lots of animosity between the locals and said foreign workers. I think Bognor voted " leave " by quite some margin so they got their wish.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to Wikipedia: "Bognor is one of the oldest recorded Anglo-Saxon place names in Sussex. In a document of AD 680, it is referred to as Bucgan ora meaning Bucge's (an Anglo-Saxon name) shore, or landing place."

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I'd never actually been there until my stint delivering for Argos during lockdown. Some nice bits, some rough bits. Like everywhere else really.
I wonder if those from Bognor who started following Pompey at their peak are feeling the pull of their Sussex roots from the east.

You chose your bed now lie in it, you glory hunting fackers!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I know its a town or a village or something but why is it called like that? I refuse to google it, it sounds like a nasty skin condition.

Tell me all you know about Bognor Regis.

You would fit right in.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I did have a very strange celebrity encounter in Bognor. When the kids were little, I went to look at some furniture at Reynolds (proper furniture store) so after wards went down to the prom to get an ice cream and let them go on the kiddies rides near the pier.

I went to put the kids on the roundabout only to find film director Michael Winner sitting on it. I got to chat to him for a few minutes and it turned out he was there writing about seaside resorts for one of his newspaper columns.

Fair to say he wasn't a fan of the place either - https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/wish-i-wasn-t-here-michael-winner-has-a-bad-day-in-bognor-6899299.html

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
How very weird.

Me and a few friends/family (Lads on Tour) usually go away every year to a boat party to Finland and stay there or go on to Sweden. It was supposed to be Tunisia last year, as my best pal is Tunisian, and we were all up for it.

Only this afternoon did we speak about a 90's weekend at butlins in November, instead of all the bullsh8t and extra expense to travel abroad.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Tuesday in Bognor?

If you're imprisoned at Butlins you can go on the go karts, watch ex children's TV personalities and people what have been on BGT and the X Factor, drink warm over priced lager, eat terrible English food, go on the go karts again and get measles / flu / covid / rabies depending on which toddler's phlegm you accidentally ingest.

Outside the camp the lager, terrible food and life changing diseases are still an option though less of a risk

My daughter just took her kids there last week for a few days, their holiday to Portugal was cancelled and they took over a friends booking at Butlins as they had a case of Covid in the family...

Anyway they enjoyed it...I'm sure she said she stayed in Butlind hotel? but I thought it was Chalets ? or at least it was when we went on a family summer hoilday from Portslade.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here