Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What invention ?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Hundreds of years ago a scientist came up to me and asked me what I thought of ink, his new invention. I said the idea looked good on paper.

Probably writing.

It allowed society to plan itself around the principle of the division of labour and for agricultural surpluses to be produced and distributed / traded. And for different social classes to develop, in particular a non-productive class that could wage war and expand the territory occupied by a particular social group.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a few not mentioned yet: steel, plastics, transistor.

(btw cant have language, it not invented but evolved from primitive, inate desire to communication. Or penicilin, a discovery)

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Probably writing.

It allowed society to plan itself around the principle of the division of labour and for agricultural surpluses to be produced and distributed / traded. And for different social classes to develop, in particular a non-productive class that could wage war and expand the territory occupied by a particular social group.

You get division of labour and trading of surplus in hunter gatherer societies. For me the most important development is farming.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Probably writing.

Not sure how valuable it would have been with a largely illiterate society.

My vote is for the printing press. It was a key factor in helping to create higher levels of literacy as well as assisting in the devolution of power of the Catholic church in Europe. Win-win in my books.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
cooking

allowed humankind to release more nutrients from food to allow us more time to go about developing other stuff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here