Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What if Tony Bloom wanted to change the Club's name?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I wouldn't mind, like Hull supporters and Cardiff supporters shouldn't....as soon as those chairmen get bored the new incumbent will change them back to their original names/colours to huge supporter acclaim.

Just take the money, stop moaning, then change it back later.

:shrug:

I can only assume you've missed a sarcastic simile off your post ??

If TB suggests it, which he never will, then he can eff off.

D

Deleted User X18H

I can see Hove being dropped at some point sadly. Bloom is a Brighton man.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
TB wouldn't change us - but who knows, in the future, some egotistical idiot might. If we change to red or change the name significantly then I'm off

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Indeed. Not a bad thread though.
Well said. "Dull" seems to be growing in popularity as a lazily arrogant and unpleasant put-down of others' contributions.

(It goes without saying that the self-appointed arbiters of interestingness hardly challenge Stephen Fry with their own offerings...)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This looks good:

Bright-Town-White_2211_800x600.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There is as much chance of Tony Bloom changing the clubs name as that I will be named Primo Ballerina of the Bolshoi Ballet!
Can't imagine, what with the families history with the club he would ever contemplate such an idea. Not a chance.

For someone who gives themselves the name "fat old seagull" to be going for Prima Ballerina at the Bolshoi Ballet shows a lot of courage and admirable self-confidence. Well done and good luck. See you at the auditions.

But seriously, I agree. It wouldn't happen with Tony Bloom.

Or in the remote possibility that it did, he would go about it in a very sensible way, so as not to alienate the fans. he's like that

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I can only assume you've missed a sarcastic simile off your post ??

If TB suggests it, which he never will, then he can eff off.
Perhaps a bit of sarcasm, but can you honestly see Cardiff playing in red after Tan moves on? Of course they won't. In the mean time they are playing in the big league (impossible without Tan's investment) and having a right old laugh. Lets say five years down the road, Tan has decided that he wants an American football team (perhaps the relabled Dallas Red Indians) Cardiff City is in the hands of some Turkish kebab meat producers playing in blue in the third division. Everyone is happy again. The red PL disaster a distant memory.

:)

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
The Hull City Chairman wants to change the club name to Hull Tigers. He has threatened to walk away from the club, with his £millions, if fans continue to object and protest. Cardiff have changed team colours at the demand of their wealthy chairman. Money talks.
We are blessed with a Chairman that understands the fans and loves the club as well as being prepared to invest £millions. But if Tony Bloom announced that he wanted to change our name or club colours and it was a take it or I leave offer, which way would you go?
Keep the money and go for glory or keep the heritage but perhaps go back into football oblivion?

Seagulls? probably the stupidest nickname in English football, no wonder opposing teams take the piss.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Tony Bloom wouldn't do anything like this.

But hypothetically IF anyone changed our home kit to red or changed the name I would show my opposition in the only way modern football clubs would care about and never set foot in The Amex again.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The name, colour and the nickname changes show a huge lack of understanding by the owners involved about the domestic market (and this wouldn't happen under the likes of TB because he does understand why this is important). But on the other hand, if you are trying to sell the English game to the Non English Speaking world, then universally recognisable logos like Dragons and Tigers are better then long-standing titles which embody the history of the club and their geographical location. Do the populations of SE Asia really understand why some clubs are ... City and some are ... Town? Or more complex concepts like our own Albion, or United/Wednesday/Hotspur (FFS!)?

I can see us dropping the "and Hove" part one day (but then I can see the whole City dropping it one day) - but really hope that this is as far as we ever go!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Nothing we could do, As Lawro said on the radio a little while back " The golden rule in football is that the man with the gold makes the rules "

I'm glad we didn't have that attitude when Archer was Chairman

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The name, colour and the nickname changes show a huge lack of understanding by the owners involved about the domestic market (and this wouldn't happen under the likes of TB because he does understand why this is important). But on the other hand, if you are trying to sell the English game to the Non English Speaking world, then universally recognisable logos like Dragons and Tigers are better then long-standing titles which embody the history of the club and their geographical location. Do the populations of SE Asia really understand why some clubs are ... City and some are ... Town? Or more complex concepts like our own Albion, or United/Wednesday/Hotspur (FFS!)?

I can see us dropping the "and Hove" part one day (but then I can see the whole City dropping it one day) - but really hope that this is as far as we ever go!

I have never understood having a double barreled City name. We would have been better off being umbrellaed by Lewes and just being called the City of Lewes, which is far more classy, less of a mouthful, and would make us a bigger city.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here