Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What if Poyet hadn't got the Sunderland job?

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
He would never have been accepted by the fans. Parish and co would have known that. They lived through the Mullery debacle after all.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Parish and his cronies saw Poyet's abject behaviour at the play-off second leg. Do you honestly think they would approach a man who carried on like that? They would have seen his lack of passion, his sulking, his hissy fit and his couldn't care less attitude. They would have seen the way he handed them the tie on a plate. If he behaved like that at one of the biggest games in BHA's history, what hope is there for the future?
No way would they have even been remotely interested in him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Poyet's stock having been pretty high pre the play off semi final second leg, surely plummeted with the mess after it. I'd think he was always going to be seen as gamble for Premier League teams afterwards. I doubt Palace would have taken the gamble even if he was available, someone like Pulis is a much safer bet. Don't see there would have been any interest in him whatsoever by Palace, they hardly need a manager who appears to put himself before the club he is handsomely paid to manage, especially when he managed their biggest rivals and was out manoeuvred by the man they have just seen resign.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Poyet's stock having been pretty high pre the play off semi final second leg, surely plummeted with the mess after it. I'd think he was always going to be seen as gamble for Premier League teams afterwards. I doubt Palace would have taken the gamble even if he was available, someone like Pulis is a much safer bet. Don't see there would have been any interest in him whatsoever by Palace, they hardly need a manager who appears to put himself before the club he is handsomely paid to manage, especially when he managed their biggest rivals and was out manoeuvred by the man they have just seen resign.

I'm still surprised that Sunderland took a punt on Poyet. Surely Pulis, experienced at survival at PL level, would have been a better bet. As far as Poyet is concerned, there seems to be no limit to his ego. IMHO he would have been better off at another decent Championship club or abroad. He still needs to cut his teeth and prove that he can get a club promoted to the PL.
I honestly don't think he is going to cut it on Wearside and like PDC, I believe that its all going to end in tears.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Does anyone not think that Gus didn't know that Holloway's days were numbered the moment Palace beat Watford at Wembley?

He could have bided his time if he wanted that gig. But he didn't.

Plus... would Steve Parish have wanted Gus? Different proposition entirely.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I still can't believe that Sunderland, after the disaster of Di Canio, went for a similar gamble. They should have gone for Pulis all day.

If Pulis goes to Palace (and I really hope he doesn't) they will finish above Sunderland.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
I am sure Palace would have gone Poyet over Pullis if Poyet was available - and I don't have any doubt Poyet would have taken because its a no lose situation and with a lot less pressure than at a club like Sunderland. If anyone thinks Poyet cares about having a legacy at the Albion then they are deluded, he's a professional person interested only in getting to the top. Whatever we may think of them Palace do seem to find (I don't say produce) young flair players often who they go on to sell at a profit, that is their basic business model. Would any sane owner therefore bring in a dinosaur like Pullis who would inevitably pick 11 big but without any real skill players rather than attempt to build a team and game plan around fast quick and skillful players who keep the tills turning over? If Palace go for Pullis they will not only go down this year, they will go down without even having had a 'go' however doomed that maybe at trying to win. Their fans won't tolerate that kind of negative rubbish and in fairness, nor would we if faced with that option!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I am sure Palace would have gone Poyet over Pullis if Poyet was available - and I don't have any doubt Poyet would have taken because its a no lose situation and with a lot less pressure than at a club like Sunderland. If anyone thinks Poyet cares about having a legacy at the Albion then they are deluded, he's a professional person interested only in getting to the top. Whatever we may think of them Palace do seem to find (I don't say produce) young flair players often who they go on to sell at a profit, that is their basic business model. Would any sane owner therefore bring in a dinosaur like Pullis who would inevitably pick 11 big but without any real skill players rather than attempt to build a team and game plan around fast quick and skillful players who keep the tills turning over? If Palace go for Pullis they will not only go down this year, they will go down without even having had a 'go' however doomed that maybe at trying to win. Their fans won't tolerate that kind of negative rubbish and in fairness, nor would we if faced with that option!

So the Palace directors completely ignore the events of the last two months ( of last season ) at BHA and go for an untried manager at the highest level over a seasoned pro, experienced in keeping sides in the PL.
A lot of people questioned Allardyce going to WHU but Gold and Sullivan knew what they were doing. They bought into experience and stability.
Give any PL Chairman/Owner the option of pretty football + relegation or a more direct style + survival and its a no brainer ( TB included ) You slag off Pulis for negativity but we were scuppered by a manager dogged with caution ( 18 draws! )
Lets just see how the multi-talented Gus does in the Premier League. Early indications are that it is going to be a long, hard winter. By the time he realises how tough it is, time will have run out. Unlike the excuses, which will be plentiful.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So the Palace directors completely ignore the events of the last two months ( of last season ) at BHA

When we went unbeaten for 10 matches, you mean, and took the club to it's highest finish for 30 years?

...and go for an untried manager at the highest level over a seasoned pro, experienced in keeping sides in the PL.
A lot of people questioned Allardyce going to WHU but Gold and Sullivan knew what they were doing. They bought into experience and stability.
Give any PL Chairman/Owner the option of pretty football + relegation or a more direct style + survival and its a no brainer ( TB included )

Hilariously ignores the fact that the Sunderland directors obviously don't agree with you (I'm sure you know much better, however)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gus would be Palace manager by now, and the Ultras would already be planning their Poyet Out 'display' :lolol:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
He would never have been accepted by the fans. Parish and co would have known that. They lived through the Mullery debacle after all.

Whilst I don't totally disagree , fans are fickle - if he started to get the team playing well he'll win over some I guess.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'm still surprised that Sunderland took a punt on Poyet. Surely Pulis, experienced at survival at PL level, would have been a better bet. As far as Poyet is concerned, there seems to be no limit to his ego. IMHO he would have been better off at another decent Championship club or abroad. He still needs to cut his teeth and prove that he can get a club promoted to the PL.
I honestly don't think he is going to cut it on Wearside and like PDC, I believe that its all going to end in tears.

It may all well end in tears but in any field there are always focused people willing to take the gamble in order to get to the top. It is those who take those risks and win the gamble that are considered 'great'.

IF GP succeeds at Sunderland then his stock will be far higher than if he had taken the cautious route - of course if he fails then he will be back to square one and will probably end up managing a Championship team with the hope of proving that his success with us wasn't a fluke.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It may all well end in tears but in any field there are always focused people willing to take the gamble in order to get to the top. It is those who take those risks and win the gamble that are considered 'great'.

IF GP succeeds at Sunderland then his stock will be far higher than if he had taken the cautious route - of course if he fails then he will be back to square one and will probably end up managing a Championship team with the hope of proving that his success with us wasn't a fluke.

I know that you're speaking mainly about the Sunderland board but for all the great things that Poyet did achieve here, being very reluctant to take a gamble was his Achilles Heal imo. More gambles last season in games we drew and we could have got Auto maybe even another Championship. He is going to have to take gambles this year though to have any chance of pulling off an unlikely surge up the table. I will be watching with interest, neither hoping he fails nor succeeds, just interested to see if he is learning from experience.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I know that you're speaking mainly about the Sunderland board but for all the great things that Poyet did achieve here, being very reluctant to take a gamble was his Achilles Heal imo. More gambles last season in games we drew and we could have got Auto maybe even another Championship. He is going to have to take gambles this year though to have any chance of pulling off an unlikely surge up the table. I will be watching with interest, neither hoping he fails nor succeeds, just interested to see if he is learning from experience.

Similarly I don't really care if he succeeds or fails there, I just can't see them staying up with that squad - they look woefully short of talent from what I've seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here