What have Palace done with their money?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
120 Million includes ~60 Million of parachute payments ( unless of course palace don't go down :lolol: )

So they have around 60 million to play with.

Take off 6.5 million for Gayle giving 53.5 million.

25 players @ ~20K per week is a 25 Million wage bill.

I should think the Zaha money paid back the owners investment, not sure how much would be left, perhaps half ?

Let's say that leaves 30 Million+. If they are sensible that should pay for 2 stands to be rebuilt ? ??? and leave 4-5 Million in the transfer kitty ???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The big advantage we will have over the palace situation when we reach the premier league is that we will not have to spend any of the '120 million' on ground development and it can all go into the playing side.

I'd see this as the plan initially, and then if we were to establish ourselves, to start reimbursing Tony on part of his investment in later years.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
The big advantage we will have over the palace situation when we reach the premier league is that we will not have to spend any of the '120 million' on ground development and it can all go into the playing side.

I'd see this as the plan initially, and then if we were to establish ourselves, to start reimbursing Tony on part of his investment in later years.

I would think TB would need some of his money back IF you go up.
The longer you stay in the Championship, the financial restraints will choke you.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I would think TB would need some of his money back IF you go up.
The longer you stay in the Championship, the financial restraints will choke you.

Probably. But not year 1 ( or 2) - when the largest investment in new players is required - if he views staying in the PL as the aim, I would suggest.

He has actually said he doesn't necessarily expect his investment back.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Probably. But not year 1 ( or 2) - when the largest investment in new players is required - if he views staying in the PL as the aim, I would suggest.

He has actually said he doesn't necessarily expect his investment back.

But you are talking as if it's a given that you will be promoted, but there are no guarantees about that.
With money being tight, and FFP biting hard, TB needs promotion, but there are a few clubs in the championship with bigger budgets and chances.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But you are talking as if it's a given that you will be promoted, but there are no guarantees about that.
With money being tight, and FFP biting hard, TB needs promotion, but there are a few clubs in the championship with bigger budgets and chances.

No I am not thinking that anything is guaranteed, nevertheless I am very optimistic that promotion will happen ( within the next 2 - 3 years ).

Everything is in place now, and we are already a better side than last year.

Last edited:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

More than a few with bigger budgets and chances but very sure we are building in the right way and will reap the rewards sooner rather than later.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
120 Million includes ~60 Million of parachute payments ( unless of course palace don't go down :lolol: )

So they have around 60 million to play with.

Take off 6.5 million for Gayle giving 53.5 million.

25 players @ ~20K per week is a 25 Million wage bill.

I should think the Zaha money paid back the owners investment, not sure how much would be left, perhaps half ?

Let's say that leaves 30 Million+. If they are sensible that should pay for 2 stands to be rebuilt ? ??? and leave 4-5 Million in the transfer kitty ???

They also bought their trainning ground for £2 million, and had to upgrade their stadium for at least another couple of million.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Think Parish now gets his hair permed/bleached every morning at great expense against the club wage bill so it won't last that long

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Putting rivalries aside,, if Palace are sensible with the money-crazy concept I know, they should be in good shape for a couple of years. To get anybody half decent they are going to have to offer decent wages (for decent read suicidal for clubs like Palace and ourselves). This will eat into their first year's pot. Also, they are going to have to knock down Selhurst, one stand at a time and re-build them up to Premier League standards/requirements which will be hugely expensive. They need to stay up to make the re-build possible but that will take money out of their playing budget which will make staying in the PL more difficult. A perfect Catch 22.

We, on the other hand, already have a Premier League quality stadium that has been paid for and a training academy which should start producing decent players in a year or two so we can hopefully develop a few money making youngsters as Palace heve done. IF we had gone up this season we would have been in an enviable position. It didn't happen (thanks a frigging lot Gus) so our plans have changed slightly. As have Palace's because they were not ready for promotion. They wanted it as did every other club in our division but in reality they were not fully prepared for it.

Palace have the bragging rights right now because of their league position but if any of their fans are thinking that the £120,000,000 will set them up for a rosy future they only have to look at Wolves to see what can happen. Similar sized clubs, both needing/needed massive changes to their stadia, both need/needed big investment in the playing side. It all looks great, £120 Million even if they get relegated, but the Premier League's army of grossly over paid mercenaries soon eats it all up-and more. It's not an easy task for a club in Palace's situation, it would have been a lot easier for us but...thanks again Gus.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Attachments

• shrek.jpg
    shrek.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 46

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Putting rivalries aside,, if Palace are sensible with the money-crazy concept I know, they should be in good shape for a couple of years. To get anybody half decent they are going to have to offer decent wages (for decent read suicidal for clubs like Palace and ourselves). This will eat into their first year's pot. Also, they are going to have to knock down Selhurst, one stand at a time and re-build them up to Premier League standards/requirements which will be hugely expensive. They need to stay up to make the re-build possible but that will take money out of their playing budget which will make staying in the PL more difficult. A perfect Catch 22.

We, on the other hand, already have a Premier League quality stadium that has been paid for and a training academy which should start producing decent players in a year or two so we can hopefully develop a few money making youngsters as Palace heve done. IF we had gone up this season we would have been in an enviable position. It didn't happen (thanks a frigging lot Gus) so our plans have changed slightly. As have Palace's because they were not ready for promotion. They wanted it as did every other club in our division but in reality they were not fully prepared for it.

Palace have the bragging rights right now because of their league position but if any of their fans are thinking that the £120,000,000 will set them up for a rosy future they only have to look at Wolves to see what can happen. Similar sized clubs, both needing/needed massive changes to their stadia, both need/needed big investment in the playing side. It all looks great, £120 Million even if they get relegated, but the Premier League's army of grossly over paid mercenaries soon eats it all up-and more. It's not an easy task for a club in Palace's situation, it would have been a lot easier for us but...thanks again Gus.

Some good points there.
The high paid mercenaries are on 1 year deals, so they won't eat into the playing budget for next season if we go down. Long term deals for Gayle and Campana will be good investments, Gayle will be a threat once he gets use to playing at this level, and Campana is already proving what we all hoped he would be, a classy footballer who won't be bullied off the ball.
Any club who go up will be odds on to go down, that is the gulf between the Premier and Championship.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Any club who go up will be odds on to go down, that is the gulf between the Premier and Championship.

Any club coming down will be odds on to go back up.

This season is the last season where championship clubs only have to compete against relegated premiership clubs with relatively small parachute payments. Next season, they will have obscene parachute payments. It will only get harder if we don't do it this year.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Any club coming down will be odds on to go back up.

This season is the last season where championship clubs only have to compete against relegated premiership clubs with relatively small parachute payments. Next season, they will have obscene parachute payments. It will only get harder if we don't do it this year.

Parachute payments are 16million this year, maximum, and 18million next year. More, but not obscenely more.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Happy Holiday Pee Wee, back again I see. Good 'ere ain't it? Once again (and this is the second time in two days) you are right there maybe clubs in the Championship with bigger budgets and chances....... Whilst I don't suppose you've considered there is every club in the Premier with a bigger budget and chances, and a proper stadium than your Palsarse.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Happy Holiday Pee Wee, back again I see. Good 'ere ain't it? Once again (and this is the second time in two days) you are right there maybe clubs in the Championship with bigger budgets and chances....... Whilst I don't suppose you've considered there is every club in the Premier with a bigger budget and chances, and a proper stadium than your Palsarse.

Feck me Fatso, are you a stalker ??

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Parachute payments are 16million this year, maximum, and 18million next year. More, but not obscenely more.

After this season, the parachute payments go from £32 mill to £48 mill.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

Parachute payments for teams relegated at the end of this season will be £23million in the first year, £18million in the second and £9million in years three and four. It would mean a possible total of £59million over four years compared to the maximum now of £48million.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
We, on the other hand, already have a Premier League quality stadium that has been paid for

Not by the club it hasn't. Do you not think that Bloom might - quite understandably - look to recoup some of his huge investment if you made it to the obscene money pot that is the Premier league?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports