Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What happened to 52 players that Gus Poyet signed.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Aah Vicente, magic alongside Lua Lua. Never forget someone on here describing him as a unicorn dancing in a waterfall. Just as beautiful. Marvellous. Will always thank Poyet for bringing him in, even though they badly fell out. Plus Bridge and Upson who were also players better than our current level at the time (edit - :facepalm: and Bruno!).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lee Hendrie played for us ??

I honestly have absolutely NO recollection of that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus had a great ability to spot a quality player, except in the forward line once we got out of League One. When he did have a good one in Ashley Barnes, who’d done so well in League One, he ended up sticking him out wide in midfield.

We won’t mention the other forward :wink:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Good to see him doing chirpy wing-man work on Sky. His life unravelled after he left Villa.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Great memories for Vicente . How did we sign him ? That must be another story.

Bruno knew him, which was the connection.

The actual signing was one of the most exciting threads I’ve ever read on Nsc, with one of us, who was working at Gatwick, dashing to the gate to find him.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Staggering to think that we had Bridge and Upson playing for us in the Championship. I know that they were at the tail end of their career but clearly a class above us at the time and my favourite players on the list after Calderon, Bruno, Ulloa, Barnes and Crofts.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bruno knew him, which was the connection.

The actual signing was one of the most exciting threads I’ve ever read on Nsc, with one of us, who was working at Gatwick, dashing to the gate to find him.

But Vicente was already at the club (SINGED on 2 September 2011) when Bruno joined (25 June 2012) :shrug:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I definitely saw him on the pitch in an Albion shirt near a football. But I wouldn't say he "played"for us

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
That brought back some memories! Apart from Barnes and Wood, not too many went to to do any better than the Albion. A few old Withdean faves on that list though. Bruno, Barnes and Vicente surely his best signings.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Staggering to think that we had Bridge and Upson playing for us in the Championship. I know that they were at the tail end of their career but clearly a class above us at the time and my favourite players on the list after Calderon, Bruno, Ulloa, Barnes and Crofts.
Criminal that squad didn’t get promoted with ease TB gambled and it didn’t pay off instead of blaming himself for to many cautious games playing 100 passes around in defence Poyet decided it was everybody else’s fault, anyway water under the bridge now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here