Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What formation were we playing, and what was Pascal Groß's position?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Igor left-back and Groß right-back was the consensus pre-match.

Pascal didn't spend much time back there though...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The back was a regular 4 imho, Webster the RB. A very imperfect one in a very imperfect arrangement, leaving Willian completely unmarked time after time, he created danger with Robinson.

Contrast to Ajax and Fulham who had a RB man marking Mitoma, bolted to his side. The way Veltman operates.

Gross wasn’t a RB, he played in front of Baleba and Dahoud, with Lallana trying to feed balls to Evan.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Igor left-back and Groß right-back was the consensus pre-match.

Pascal didn't spend much time back there though...
Igor definitely LCB in a three, and looked pretty decent there.

We finished the game (once Veltman came on) with Igor at LB in a flat back four - and he was a bit crap there.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The back was a regular 4 imho, Webster the RB. A very imperfect one in a very imperfect arrangement, leaving Willian completely unmarked time after time, he created danger with Robinson.

Contrast to Ajax and Fulham who had a RB man marking Mitoma, bolted to his side. The way Veltman operates.
It was a three. Igor, Dunk and Webster until the introduction of Veltman.

I thought RDZ got it wrong today. They pushed Willian and Reid up once we’d gone ahead, leaving us 3 vs 3 time and time again. Should have changed to a four earlier

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was a three. Igor, Dunk and Webster until the introduction of Veltman.

I thought RDZ got it wrong today. They pushed Willian and Reid up once we’d gone ahead, leaving us 3 vs 3 time and time again. Should have changed to a four earlier

Anyone able to get a heatmap of Gross or average player locations …. Sofascore?

Gross was upfield in the main, I can’t recall him operating as a RWB marking Willian.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Anyone able to get a heatmap of Gross or average player locations …. Sofascore?

Gross was upfield in the main, I can’t recall him operating as a RWB marking Willian.
He wasn’t marking Willian, Webster was. Gross was in the middle of the four alongside Lallana in the 3-2-4-1

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Igor definitely LCB in a three, and looked pretty decent there.

We finished the game (once Veltman came on) with Igor at LB in a flat back four - and he was a bit crap there.
This, although I thought he was okay at LB in the flat back four.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
3-2-4-1
Back three, Dahoud and Baleba holding. Lallana and Gross in the 10/free role in a box midfield. With Mitoma left, Adringa right and Fergie up top.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Pascal pushed up in final 10 mins superbly. Found space and dragged the Fulham defence around superbly. He is so talented it wouldnt surprise me if he is a keeper in the making too!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Gross wasn’t a RB, he played in front of Baleba and Dahoud, with Lallana trying to feed balls to Evan.
Umm…I’m going to disagree with you there ..at least for the first half it was a back three …..and on that note I thought Webster had a good game

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Umm…I’m going to disagree with you there ..at least for the first half it was a back three …..and on that note I thought Webster had a good game

First half right in front of us NS police box, Willian was repeatedly unmarked, causing countless problems. Working with Antonee. Their most dangerous player, madness.

Perhaps it was our system and formation.

And Gross wasn’t part of the defence at all, he and Lallana sat between Ferguson and Dahoud/Baleba.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
First half right in front of us NS police box, Willian was repeatedly unmarked, causing countless problems. Working with Antonee. Their most dangerous player, madness.

Perhaps it was our system and formation.

And Gross wasn’t part of the defence at all, he and Lallana sat between Ferguson and Dahoud/Baleba.
Yep that’s how I saw it ….apart from I didn’t think Willian caused countless problems in the first half 😏

Slight edit……countless problems that weren’t solved …apart from one cross he made that was blazed over the bar

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here