Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What football laws would you like to be introduced or changed.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't like arbitrary nature of the penalty rule. Pens should be awarded for fouls that deny a goal scoring opportunity, whether they're inside the box or 1 inch outside.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Just 3 law changes for me...

1. All youth players that have joined a teams academy cannot be signed by another club until they are 21 and out of contract.

2. No goal line or further technology interference.

3. Scrap all seater law. Bring back standing.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I don't like arbitrary nature of the penalty rule. Pens should be awarded for fouls that deny a goal scoring opportunity, whether they're inside the box or 1 inch outside.

like everything in football the laws arent enforced. a great under rated thrill in football is a free kick inside the box. how often do you see them.

i hate penalties and the modern hysteria about them and constant 'should have been a pen' debates looking for an undeserved goal on the cheap.

we are debating how to improve football with new laws, when it could be dramatically improved by simply enforcing the existing ones. but then footballs an amoral crooked game riddled with cheating, and secretly everyone loves that.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
We have so much to learn from rugby. In rugby players are treated on the pitch, so in certain areas of the pitch it should be possible in football.

The biggest difference between rugby and football seems to be the respect that the players give to the referee.
Perhaps someone who understands the rules of rugby could explain how it works.
Also how about an automatic yellow for shirt pulling.It seems hard to believe but shirt pulling did not used to exist until 30--40 years ago.it does not need to happen at all
In the last 5 years all this wrestling with corner kicks has now become a regular part of the game. I have no idea what can be done because they are all at it.

Straight red for shirt pulling

zego

Jul 10, 2003
haven't read the whole thread so sorry if fixtures....

When a player receives treatment and he has to go off the field and has been the victim of a bad challenge it seems unfair. The player who fouled should leave the pitch too.

This, more or less.

I suggest simplifying - the trigger need only depend on a player requiring treatment off the pitch. Opposition captain to specify one of his players to go off at the same time, both players to return to play simultaneously, at the referees signal.

Junior football allows temporary substitutions. This allows the option for a player to be temporarily replaced by a substitute. Keeps the game flowing, and fairer to both sides.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Another vote for shirt pulling here (being punished, I don't support it). Everyone bangs on and on about diving but we rarely hear about shirt pulling. Some players might be inclined to go down less if the referee actually blew up for fouls like this. No you don't have to go down but you've been held back, you can't continue your play as you like, if the ref isn't going to notice it, players will keep going down.
Other than that, I just hate it. It's for rugby not football.

Agree with The Spanish and the hysteria around penalties and in fact ALL decisions. Football is a difficult game to call. All those asking for red cards for diving. How can the referee ever know 100%? Won't really help the game if you ask me. Just another decision to get over analysed by the pundits and fans and which the ref will inevitably get wrong. Retrospective punishment though, yep. Got to be done.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So often extra-time is boring. I'd cut it to 15 mins, and if the scores are still level then play 7-a-side in the second period.

I'd also like to see Coaches Appeals - 1 per half.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
No red cards... only yellows but each yellow means a game ban. So if you come off the pitch with 7 yellows you miss the next 7 games. Managers would then manage their players.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
- Individual dissent to actually be punished
- Only captains (or those involved in an incident) to approach the ref
- Obstruction to be obstruction all over the pitch, no more hugs from defenders looking for a goal kick
- If a wall isn't retreating to 10 yards, after a warning has been given, a wall will not be allowed for the rest of the half (never going to happen and a bit nuts but would be fun to watch)
- Kicking Joey Barton, Nile Ranger or Marlon King should, by law, be applauded by both teams instantly
- Stop the clock for any injuries/halts in play and actually finish bang on 90 minutes, similar to rugby. Bit difficult to make work but should cut out some managerial moaning over the course of a season

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Time-wasting is the thing that gets me. It's now a game-strategy as, for instance, Sheff Wed and Millwall as the worst culprits have demonstrated this year. Beyond being 'unfair', it's turgid. Fans are investing fortunes into football and for that the least we can expect is an increase in and improvement of entertainment. Cracking down on time-wasting would assist in this.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
While I agree about diving and time wasting, I profoundly disagree with those who say shielding the ball out is obstruction. I love seeing a skillful defender doing it - I used to be a full back myself and got a real thrill out of blocking off an attacker. I'm all for enterprising play but football is about defence as well and I don't want to see everything loaded in favour of attackers.

One rugby innovation to try is the bonus point if you score four or more goals (three more if it's away from home) - that would tempt teams not to shut up shop

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
agree with sin bins
teams with large quality squads are not really penalized by a suspension for
accumulated yellows - just another bit of squad rotation
enforcing obstruction for shielding of a ball dribbling out of play
personally I hate the automatic red card for the last man foul
everyone should be allowed to make an honest attempt at a tackle
without a red card for mis timing or just being beaten by a skillful attacker
if a penalty is awarded a goal scoring opportunity is not lost!
if you want to stop professional fouls outside the box then introduce a rule
to award a penalty if the foul is committed by the last man regardless if it
is in the box or not .
but only issue reds for cynical dangerous fouls not for raised hand handbags either

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What football laws would you like to be introduced or changed.
Retrospective bans for diving. Huge ones.
Video ref: Each manager/captain give 1 review per half for specific instances (eg, for a goal, penalty, offside that leads to a goal, red card incident). Review not used if decision overturned.
Tighter rules on time wasting, with refs being aloud to add a lot more time on. Also, at the start of the time wasting, warn the captain, and then when the time wasting continues, book the captain (otherwise the team just rotates who's doing the time wasting.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
I think video evidence and future bans are the best way to tackle diving
even with video evidence we see pundits deliberate over what is a dive
it is just too hard for the referee at the time and we do not want minutes lost to
study countless replays from different angles.
Another point about diving is referees very rarely give free kicks when players do not go to ground
it is rare for a single foul a game to be given if the victim stays on his feet
we have to distinguish between diving - simulating a foul and going to ground claiming a foul

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How can it not be ? Only one person is looking to play the ball. The other is solely concentrating on preventing them.

Because. according to the Laws of Football, if a player is within playing distance of the ball (generally assumed to be about two yards), then he is deemed to be playing the ball - even if he is shielding it, preventing it from going out. There's a FIFA document that specifically covers this instance - but it's a PDF so I can't quote from it

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Not a match rule, but my feeling is that the senior management of the FIFA, UEFA, the FA etc, should come from within the game. I know in a lot of cases they do already, but it would stop career businessmen coming in and making decisions which turn the game from being a sport to being a conveyor belt of ways to extract cash from fans.

And to knock on the head, or at least considerably reduce the amount of sponsors and corporate tickets being dished out at football finals, and to make them a fair price for ordinary fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here