Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What football laws would you like to be introduced or changed.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I really like rugby's move the ball forward 10m rule for backchat/slowing the free kick. The language used towards referees is appalling, not just in professional football but all the way down the pyramid. It can be a pretty intimidating experience being a ref, anything to help curb the bad language is good in my opinion.

No refs=no games.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
No subs allowed after the added time board has gone up. This would put a stop to all the ridiculous time wasting when subs come on for a matter of seconds to run the clock down.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
When a player is penalised for "denying a clear goal scoring opportunity", the opposing captain can chose whether the ref awards a red card or a penalty (even if not in the box).

have a "powerplay" in each half where the offside rule doesn't apply.

Love your first idea.

But hate the second. Too gimmiky.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
You can only be offside in the final third of the pitch. A line would be added to the pitch in a similar position to the shooting line on a subbuteo pitch perhaps a bit nearer to the half line though.

This would stop play being so congested in the middle of the park as defences would not be able to push up and play a high line.

yjune7a5.jpg

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Any foul using the arms/hands = Booking

Ball striking the hands/arms when they are not by the player's side = free kick/penalty
Deliberate handball = booking/red card

Enforce obstruction when a player sheilds the ball out of play

3 point deduction for every game an ineligable player is fielded in

The game ends after the time is up and the ball leaves play. (Except for corners, free kicks and penalties)

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
If a player scores a goal, and said player plays for Crystal Palace, then he should be shot immediately.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If you win by 3 clear goals you get an extra point. I've always thought that should be given a try in a lower league somewhere. You would have thought it would stop those games that are all over when a team scores two quick goals in the first half and closes the game out, especially towards the end of the season. The game would still be interesting.

If it is clear that a player dived through video replays after the game then he should get a three game ban. And if the ref is sure of a dive during a game then a red card and a two game ban. A couple of players banned for three games after a 'it was just the momentum that took me over' incident would make players think about staying on their feet a bit more.

And one more that would be interesting- whoever 'wins' the penalty has to take it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Law 187c subsection h12

"Any action by any player, substitute or club employee, which the referee at his absolute discretion believes is intended to waste time shall be added up and recorded by the referee. The referee will then add double this amount of time at the end of the half".

Implement that and you watch teams who are 1-0 up with 10 mins race to get the ball back into play

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Two for me
If in anyway a foul is exaggerated, the foul is not awarded

Only the captains are allowed to (politely) question the ref

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
On the field, couldn't agree more with Edna on this one. Crack down on dissent, and ban the divers via video evidence if need be.

Off the field, very simple, introduce a maximum wage pool for each division.

Ie, Premier League clubs can only spend £xm a season on player wages and signing fees for the entire squad

and have a different level for each division, say £30 for prem, £10 mill for Championship, £4 mill for League 1 and say £2 for league two.

Make it a true level playing field, and cut back on TV money given to clubs (it only goes on wages), and plough it into grass roots football. Think what a local estate, or local boys club could do facilites wise with £200,000. All day floodlit pitches for kids and youngsters to play on all the price of certain premiership players weekly wage. Never know, if they done that maybe in 10 years time England would rule world football!

Whilst we may initially lose a lot of the "talent" to overseas clubs, long term I think the game will be better for it.

Not sure I agree with the actual limits, but the principle is a great idea.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Law 187c subsection h12

"Any action by any player, substitute or club employee, which the referee at his absolute discretion believes is intended to waste time shall be added up and recorded by the referee. The referee will then add double this amount of time at the end of the half".

Implement that and you watch teams who are 1-0 up with 10 mins race to get the ball back into play

If that rule was implemented, we'd still be playing the Huddersfield match now.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
1.The wrestling /holding/ obstructing in the area for corners and free kicks is already against the laws. Just needs enforcing.Penalty or disallowed goals would cut this out if enforced for the whole season rather than a couple of weeks.

2.Advantage should mean just that. If they play for 2 minutes or even more without gaining advantage then bring play back.

3. sin bins for yellow cards.

4. 4th official keeps time and plays all wasted time even if 10 minutes or more.

5. Move free kicks 10 yards forwards for dissent or holding up by not retreating 10 yards. I think this was tried a while ago but not consistently applied.

6. Citing of feigning injury or diving = 3 match ban if found guilty.

7. Wage caps and strict FFP enforcement.

That will do for now :)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
When a free kick/throw in/goal kick etc is awarded the other team must not touch the ball before it is taken,a red card would be issued for this offence:moo:

Not sure about the red card, but I often voiced that opinion.

Also, if a fouled player has to leave the pitch for treatment, the player that committed the foul should have to as well. Why should a team gain an advantage for having fouled a player badly enough to necessitate him leaving the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here