What football laws would you like to be introduced or changed.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Players walking off the pitch at glacial speed (unless injured ) when substitutes are able to run on. Come on, 25 year old fit, professional, footballers can jog off rather than walk if substituted, after 50 minutes. Let's stop the slow walk of death...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Id also introduce a rule something along the lines of:

Each MatchDay squad has to include 6 English players. Each staring 11 has to include 4 English players.

Each MatchDay squad has to include 3 players that have come from the clubs youth team. 1 of which has to start.

That would reduce the playing strength of teams and possibly fall outside of Euro employment laws. Supporters want to see their team play their best players irrespective of nationality.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Id also introduce a rule something along the lines of:

Each MatchDay squad has to include 6 English players. Each staring 11 has to include 4 English players.

Each MatchDay squad has to include 3 players that have come from the clubs youth team. 1 of which has to start.

Didnt Scotland try similar and it was a failure.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm glad you asked this. I was pondering it the other day.

The ones of the top of my head...

Outlaw shielding the ball.
Longer advantage before calling plag back.
If they don't retreat, move the free kick forward (trialed and dumped).
Any foul language should result in a yellow at least.
Dump bookings for shirt off.

I'd like to see an end to play acting. The previous match (FOR vs BHA) saw two players (for either side) make a miraculous recovery from near death. So, what are the best rules for that?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
When a player is penalised for "denying a clear goal scoring opportunity", the opposing captain can chose whether the ref awards a red card or a penalty (even if not in the box).

have a "powerplay" in each half where the offside rule doesn't apply.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Penalise Pogrebnyak any time he goes anywhere near the ball. Just gets it out the way nice and quickly.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'd like to see an end to play acting. The previous match (FOR vs BHA) saw two players (for either side) make a miraculous recovery from near death. So, what are the best rules for that?

If the ref stops play for an injured player to receive treatment, they must be taken straight off and into the changing room to be assessed. even a miraculous recovery would leave thier comrades a man down for a couple of mins.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
On the field, couldn't agree more with Edna on this one. Crack down on dissent, and ban the divers via video evidence if need be.

Off the field, very simple, introduce a maximum wage pool for each division.

Ie, Premier League clubs can only spend £xm a season on player wages and signing fees for the entire squad

and have a different level for each division, say £30 for prem, £10 mill for Championship, £4 mill for League 1 and say £2 for league two.

Make it a true level playing field, and cut back on TV money given to clubs (it only goes on wages), and plough it into grass roots football. Think what a local estate, or local boys club could do facilites wise with £200,000. All day floodlit pitches for kids and youngsters to play on all the price of certain premiership players weekly wage. Never know, if they done that maybe in 10 years time England would rule world football!

Whilst we may initially lose a lot of the "talent" to overseas clubs, long term I think the game will be better for it.

Good grief, I agree with you. That's a first!

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Don't stop game for subs. New player can only come on pitch when subbed player leaves field.

This will stop all the slow long walks off the pitch.

TB

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Retrospective three match bans via video for simulation, and five game bans for going down clutching their face when the contact (if any) was nowhere near it :ohmy:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Unlimited time added on for all time wasting including throw-ins taking ages and goalies titting around with goal kicks. With the 4th official having sole control for this calculation, properly policing this aspect, and having no qualms about awarding lengthy added time.

I agree, this is my biggest complaint about football, they only actually play for about 70 minutes anyway, add in time wasting and it starts to get ridiculous. Millwall this season started time wasting in the 4th minute, if they knew it would all be added on at the end they would stop doing it

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Players walking off the pitch at glacial speed (unless injured ) when substitutes are able to run on. Come on, 25 year old fit, professional, footballers can jog off rather than walk if substituted, after 50 minutes. Let's stop the slow walk of death...

How about the sub being sent on immediately and play resuming? If the player coming off ends up getting in the way free kick and yellow card, red if considered to be deliberately obstructing play.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Shirt pulling , holding. Instant booking as clearly deliberate

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
If the ref stops play for an injured player to receive treatment, they must be taken straight off and into the changing room to be assessed. even a miraculous recovery would leave thier comrades a man down for a couple of mins.

I'd forget the changing room and just have a 3 minute minimum.
Also to allow for genuine minor patch ups players should be able to leave the field at the technical area at any time, though would need to be waved back on.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Sin bins should be introduced. Imagine the hurt if you concede a goal as you have fouled and got booked .It benefits the the opposing team instantly rather than another team down the line when he serves a suspension due to trotting up points

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
That would reduce the playing strength of teams and possibly fall outside of Euro employment laws. Supporters want to see their team play their best players irrespective of nationality.

Admittedly i answered the question purely on a footballing basis.

I believe that these rules could be implemented gradually over the course of say 4-5 seasons also the rule would be announced a few seasons in advanced to help clubs adjust.

This rule would ideally help the national team as clubs would need to spend time and money producing home grown players, resulting in more English players given the chance.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Having refereed rugby, albeit only at uni, I would .....
Get rid of the ridiculous rule of having to leave the pitch and change a shirt due to a blood injury. Most rugby matches look like A&E on a Friday night and they don't bother!
Only the captain talks to the ref. who is called sir or ref if he prefers.
sin bin, then red.
Continuous cynical play would lead to the .. ' next player who does anything cynical is in the bin, regardless of first offence or not.'
Any swearing at the ref is a binable offence or if particularly offensive a straight red. Personally it should be straight red but footy players aren't exactly very bright.
Diving ... In the bin
Go by managers sent to the stand.
External time keeper.
Treat injured players on the pitch.
Advantage is just that, it last for more than a couple of seconds.
Sighting committee to lock at diving ang general foul play. A player sent off because someone dived would result in the diver receiving a two match ban. Simulation that causes a straight red would be a six match ban.
It would help if existing rules were informed.
And finally repeat offenders to spend 'time' with the All back front row ....

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
haven't read the whole thread so sorry if fixtures....

When a player receives treatment and he has to go off the field and has been the victim of a bad challenge it seems unfair. The player who fouled should leave the pitch too.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm glad you asked this. I was pondering it the other day.

The ones of the top of my head...

Outlaw shielding the ball.
Longer advantage before calling plag back.
If they don't retreat, move the free kick forward (trialed and dumped).
Any foul language should result in a yellow at least.
Dump bookings for shirt off.

(

Agree with all those (shielding the ball out of play should be a free kick as technically it is obstruction!!)
Independent time keepers and stopping the clock when goal scored, substitutions, goal kicks and injuries.
Citing of players for diving/foul play.
3pt deduction for playing an ineligible players no matter what the reason!!!
Relegation for entering administration.

Probably loads more that would improve football but doubt I will ever get asked officially!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports