Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] What films had the the most profound effect on you

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Mississippi Burning - first exposure at a very young age to the KKK, Jim Crow laws and Civil rights movement. Pretty shocking and eye opening as a youngster.

Jaws - has a film ever made so many people think twice about getting in the water!!

Jurassic Park - as others have commented just groundbreaking was light years ahead of its time and was blown away by effects when saw it on big screen.

Star Wars - it’s just timeless isn’t it and never tire of watching it. Gives a profound sense of nostalgia from my youth.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Soldier Blue
After watching it I was curious to discover more. I subsequently read 'Bury my heart at wounded knee' which led me conclude that what happened to the indigenous people in the Americas was awful to say the least. Further research on other countries including ourselves suggested that it was the norm.

This was going to be my choice. I saw it when I was about 16 in the 70s and it made me question so much that I had been led to believe and contributed to the world view that I have had since. Not a film I would ever want to watch again though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not the biggest QT fan in the world but talking to some friends who grew up in SoCal several decades ago the movie set was very nostalgic. Was impressive QT believed much of old LA still exists and his sets used very little to no CGI.

Film has a lot more depth and backstory, and it’s not a simple suicide note to Hollywood like what Swans says but if you’re going to take the time to watch it (not an easy watch, IMO) being buzzed or distracted would be a waste of time as it’s not a good popcorn watching movie.

Thanks, and good to see you posting on here!

You're right, half cut and being asked every five minutes what is going on is not the way to take any of it in. Alone and sober next time!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Jaws , still don't like swimming in the sea , the Chrissy attack with her clinging to the bell gave me bloody nightmares for years

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
This was going to be my choice. I saw it when I was about 16 in the 70s and it made me question so much that I had been led to believe and contributed to the world view that I have had since. Not a film I would ever want to watch again though.

It depicts the he Sand Creek massacre (also known as the Chivington massacre, the battle of Sand Creek or the massacre of Cheyenne Indians) which was a massacre of Cheyenne and Arapaho people by the U.S. Army in the American Indian Wars that occurred on November 29, 1864. There is a detailed account about it and other injustices perpetrated on the so called savages by the USA in Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown.

I have never wanted to watch it again, too disturbing.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Most of you will make fun of this but Green Street Hooligans. As an American in my late teens I had never seen a British film that wasn’t the Hugh Grant/Notting Hill type and felt like I was watching something about a real culture I didn’t know existed. I remember showing it to my roommates in college and every single of of them not saying a word the entire movie. They don’t follow EPL like I do but something they would’ve scoffed at now they respect when I bring it up.

Was a gateway to so much entertainment I know consume, esp British stand up comedy, oddly enough. Would’ve never wanted to find out more about that world if it wasn’t for that movie.

Other than that - Rear Window, A Christmas Story, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and Catch Me If You Can.

Saw an interview with Danny Dyer (played a hooligan in The Footbal Factory) where he was asked about Green Street and in particular Elijah Woods performance, which he was less than complimentary about, but then said, "he was a ****ing good Hobbit though"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I remember watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in awe. I had never seen a movie like it. 7 years later I married the niece of one of the main characters.

Which was nice.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Good thread.

Saw the original Ring at the Duke of Yorks about 20 years ago. Had just started seeing a Japanese woman and thought oh look a Japanese film, how about it? Love it when you watch films completely cold, knowing nothing about them. I thought the film had ended at one point and was almost going to stand up and leave when the final scene began. Remember the hairs standing up on the back of my neck. Find most horror films a bit dull but that managed to spook me out.

Remember watching Fargo too knowing nothing about it and loved everything about it, especially the whole atmosphere of the place. Really enjoyed the TV series too.

This had an effect on my too. My dad, who is Spanish, told me about this film once but I hadn't seen it. Then a friend did too but pre-net I don't think I ever saw it until, god knows, Channel 4 late one night?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H1_p6B4Ugo

And although I'm no anime maniac, one of my favourite ever films is Spirited Away. It's just beautiful.

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Stand By Me.
The film evoked memories of summers in the early fifties when “our gang” would just wander off for the day walking from Shoreham, over the toll bridge, along the river bank to Cuckoo Corner and Coombes. So lucky to have had such freedom.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I'll never forget watching SE7EN at the cinema.
Me and one of my flatmates walked home in silence.
We ended up watching Ace Ventura on VHS to literally force a change in mood.

Bloody hell, yeah I remember watching that on a shitty portable tv on vhs with my flat mate one cold winter evening. Even on that tiny screen....shiver.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Born free....wept buckets and still do.

Circus of horrors - Rank. Scared me witless when I was 8. Clowns still to this day scare me!

Blazing saddles - one of the best pieces of satire from Mel brooks. Wrong yet right on so many levels!

With you on Born Free would add The Incredible Journey to that. Saw that at an early age and have been a hopeless Dog lover ever since.
Blazing Saddles for non PC. Airplane, always makes me laugh and throws up hidden gems that only people in the Aviation Biz (like me) would only get.
Space Odyssey 2001 which started me on anything Sci-fi (Star Wars,The Expanse etc.) loads of others, but one of my favorite is Seven Samurai the original Japanese version (The Magnificent Seven was Hollywoods version) This got me into Japanese history and on my bucket list to visit.

Great thread.

Nibbler

710 77345
Aug 12, 2014
Westdene
Good thread.

This had an effect on my too. My dad, who is Spanish, told me about this film once but I hadn't seen it. Then a friend did too but pre-net I don't think I ever saw it until, god knows, Channel 4 late one night?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H1_p6B4Ugo

Good shout on La Cabina, or 'The Telephone Box' as it was called when I saw it on telly in the early 80s. My brother and I were stunned by it - the ending was completely unexpected. My children are about the same age now so I shall see what they make of it :)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good shout on La Cabina, or 'The Telephone Box' as it was called when I saw it on telly in the early 80s. My brother and I were stunned by it - the ending was completely unexpected. My children are about the same age now so I shall see what they make of it :)

This is a terrific little film.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
While I initially thought I was going to see a Judith Charmers type travel film Debbie does Dallas certainly had a profound effect upon me

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
The Thin Red Line - saw it the same year as Saving Private Ryan, a few months later, and somehow it had more of an effect on me. That opening monologue with Faure's requiem behind it, and the slow build of the story, the long silences, stunning visuals and inaction broken by sudden brutal violence. Something about it really stuck with me more than just about any other film I can think of.

FannieMac

Jan 4, 2014
Back to the Future was the first film I ever watched at the cinema aged 7. I think my parents took my at least 4 times in the end as apparently it was the only thing I talked about for weeks. Always been into films since then.

Three that spring to mind are

Requiem for a dream; truly tragic
Live Die Repeat; best of the modern sci fi alien fun time travels blockbusters
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid; comedy gold and to this day I find myself saying 'Cleaning Woman'

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Saving Private Ryan on the big screen brought home the sheer brutality of war in a way that no other war film had before, or since. A packed cinema left in complete silence. In contrast, I went to the cinema in Brooklyn around 1998 and it was without doubt the most bizarre movie experience of my life. I was the only white “dude” in a crowd of 2000+, so that was pretty intimidating, in an area of NY that at the time had 2 murders every day. We watched The Matrix. Absolute scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here