Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What famous celebrities have you seen in the real world?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I am very jealous.

Not sure if I appreciated it at the time - but it's worth explaining why.

When I was at University in Manchester in the early 90s, I did a sort of Media Production course.

We wanted to interview him for a project about the music industry so I wrote him a letter at the BBC thinking it would never get to him.

One afternoon he found the number (god knows how) of my halls of residence - hundreds of students and one phone.

I got a knock at the door from another student saying a John was on the phone.

I'd didn't put two and two together but soon found myself talking to the great man on the payphone.

I asked him whether we wanted to come to London but he said well why don't you come down to my house ?

That was a bit complicated for all of use - so I had an idea. I was going home down to Sussex anyway a few days before, so I borrowed one of my dad's cars (he sold them) drove it up to Manchester, picked up the others and headed off to Suffolk.

Unforunately one hell of a snow storm dropped on us. We had to stop off at a pay phone and ring my new mate John. We turned up hours late, but he took us into his kitchen and made us soup and tea to warm us up.

We did the interview and after he showed us all his records and all sorts of other stuff. The thing that sticks in my mind was just randomly sitting on a shelf his back stage Live Aid pass.

His collection was everything you could possibly imagine. He explained he was slightly complusive about never throwing music away. He rarely bought a record and they simply turned up through the post or at the BBC.

Piles and piles. You've never seen anything like it. Boxes of cassettes sent by bands trying to get a break.

He was genuinelly depressed about the fact he had only listened to small percentage. There was just too much there.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Seen and spoken to a few whilst working around the country.
Spoke to Tim Brooke Taylor whilst working on the Buxton Opera House. Stood behind Terry Waite pre Beirut capture days. Ran straight into Vera Duckworth at Deansgate Manchester, and apologised. Met actor Philip Madoc whilst digging in Buxton. Seen a few stars on the train.
I suppose one that i missed out on was whilst working at Chi hospital, i was up a pair of steps second fixing some lights, when a grey haired gentleman came along the corridor towards the theatre, i smiled and said hello, and had a few pleasantries when he came out....did not have a clue who it was, my mate said he was sure it was somebody well known, asked the nurse, apparently it was David Gilmour.
In 1992 i was working on the Grand and Manchester United were playing against Brighton. The Utd players arrived around midday, and they were shown to their rooms where they could have an afternoon nap. We were told to not drill and keep the noise down...... i'm sure that i kept drilling...in fact i know i did.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Had a great conversation with Garth Crooks about Peter Ward.

He was sitting near me in a bar and I told him I remembered seeing him playing against Brighton.

"What happened to Ward?" he said.

Told him what I knew and he replied. "That lad was simply unplayable when he was at Brighton, simply unplayable."

Loved that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Used to be an aircraft engineer and saw a load of celebs. Met Richard Branson often and he certainly is a Dick.

Whilst owning pubs I've met, Christopher Ellison regularly, Status Quo, Bono, McCartney, Darkness, Alun Armstrong (New Tricks), Oatway, Cullip, R Slade (he lived in the village), Mike Smith & Sarah Greene (he landed his helicopter in the field next to the pub, SAFELY), Chris Adams (Sussex CCC captain, lived in the village and loved his beer!)

Cricket- lunched on a number of occasions with D Shepherd, Dickie Bird, and numerous other umpires (used to score for Sussex and Duchess of Norfolk at Arundel and met her on many many occasions), Colin Cowdrey, Alan Knott played cricket with Tony Pigot, Adrian Jones, Tim May (Aussie), Graham Roope. Played against M Parkinson. And met many many more famous cricketers over the years.

Been very lucky over the years.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
I let Peter Stringfellow and entourage through train ticket barrier just before last Christmas.

Oh you meant celebrity...

and famous :wozza:

northseagull

Dec 30, 2012
got pissed with Janette Kranky a few years ago; she did xmas panto in Hull and went to my uncle and aunts pub for a drink after - she was pretty decent and good laugh.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
President Kennedy -- I was 5 at the time.
Middleweight world champion Marvelous Martin Hagler.
Yo-Yo Ma.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
lunch with Gary Bailey(i was not chuffed he was the bloke we were waiting for)
sat on a plane next to Bruce Grobbelaar (even unhappier,what a ####)
gave Gordon Banks a lift....(i drooled open mouthed like a lovestruck teenager)

i seem to have a thing for goalkeepers ???

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
got pissed with janette kranky a few years ago; she did xmas panto in hull and went to my uncle and aunts pub for a drink after - she was pretty decent and good laugh.

image.jpg

fan dabi- dozi

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
I once had a pee in the urinal next to George Takei (Sulu from star trek)in the theatre royal (upstairs loo). I had taken my sister to see a panto to Barbara windsor in it. After, in the second half she gave him a shout out - who'd of thought they'd be mates...

Anyway, i can report he has an average sized penis. Errr, thank god for relative anonymity on the internet.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
[SUB][/SUB]Had diner with the great J.C and June

Stayed with Phil Anselmo over Christmas.

uncles sister is Blunderwoman.

Paul Weller tripped my pregnant wife while walking in the park by accident.

Punched Liam Gallagher whilst wrecking in a nightclub in Manchester in my student days.

wife's mother had Glenn Campbell play at her birthday party, so got to meet and chat with him.

Bez pinched my wife's arse, saw that I saw him do it, so he bought me a drink.... Fair swap I thought.

Last edited:

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
Vanessa and brother corin, redgraves ... oh and the muchos swooning david harewood when they were in a play at the Arundel festival in the mid 90s.. had to look after them.. monty don.. he did a tv thing from there that year too..

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I sold cigars to John Craven and cigarettes to Adam Faith at Gatwick Airport.

I've also had a conversation with Paddy Ashdown whilst he stood stark bollock naked on a set of scales (that wasn't at Gatwick Airport).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here