Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you LIKE/DISLIKE about living in Brighton and Hove?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not blaming the greens for our history - just that not only they can't sort it out, they have made things worse.

I disagree.

I don't think Brighton & Hove has got worse in these past 18 months at all.

I still think it's a great place for many of the reasons people list above. Regarding the things you don't like; I do find it a bit baffling how any council can be directly blamed for a cyclist deciding to go the wrong way down a one-way street.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wish out-of-towners, particularly those with a free bus pass would stop driving in the city centre.

You wouldn't have to deal with cyclists.

Most of them have little choice if they wish to spend their money in Brighton as it is virtually impossible to drive safely and park in Brighton at a reasonable rate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like: Sea, Downs, pubs, music venues, chilled, the fact I do not to have a car and can get to anywhere with either a bus, train or cab. Craft Beer Co.

Dislikes: the recent down turn of Hove (The Chip Basket replaced with an Essex chain chippy and my newsagents and Harry's have both closed), the art scene which does not go very far beyond middle-class wannabe artists with photos of the pier or a Brighton sun set. No shops which sell any clothes I want to buy apart from the Levi's store and trainer shops; I have to buy most of my clothes in London.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Most of them have little choice if they wish to spend their money in Brighton as it is virtually impossible to drive safely and park in Brighton at a reasonable rate.

Whereas many other successful cities around Europe you can just bowl up with zero traffic and park up outside your favourite store...:facepalm:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
All my family as far back as we have traced 1703 have been born in Brighton.
Loved Brighton in the 50s/60s/70s,the Trams,not too much traffic,clean,wonderful gardens....trouble is being that good it attracted the homeless,the Druggies and the useless ones looking for an easy life. Still love Brighton but could'nt live there now....althiough my mother at 96 still lives there. I will never stop loving the Albion.

Bloody hell....living in Hailsham is better than living in Brighton? I really have been away to long.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was suggesting that people who get free travel should stop driving in.

I would agree with you and would say that I think the majority do. The first bus after 9.30 from Haywards Heath is always packed. I believe that anybody who has a free bus should make a use of it or lose it, there must be a way of recording the use of each pass.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
insane bus lanes like the one at rottingdean have made traffic horrific. if your policy is to make driving such an unpleasant experience you are forced onto a bus, then how democratic is that? yet another mob forcing their ideas on to people where there is no need. do as I say merchants, the opposite of freedom and democracy. incentivise people to use public transport. the buses are brilliant in brighton now compared to years ago. but its gone hand in glove with a gleeful whipping of motorists. if you are a bit snobby or holier than though you probably think they are fair game. hide behind poor little rufus's asthma or something as you just hate people in the suburbs as they are not as cool. but in reality its a nasty way to run a place.

it cracks me up how everyone thinks voting for the greens somehow makes the town a cut above. to the rest of the country they just roll their eyes yet again.

you make it sound like The Greens are the only party pushing their agenda, every party and corporation do and have done for ever. The difference is that the major party's agenda are to keep themselves and their mates rich, whereas The Greens is to stop Brighton and Hove sinking into the sea as the sea levels rise from climate changed caused by...........oh yes, partly exhaust fumes.

Why is tyring to stop poor rufus and his mates getting asthma 'hiding behind"? you have lost me there. While we spend fortunes on trying to sure illness and disease, why not have a think about how we can prevent them. Is it really so much of a hardship to take public transport, car pool or ride a bike.

I for one applaud the greens for trying to make a difference to the environment and improving the town, country and world. So apparently do a large number of other people which i guess is how they got voted in. If you want to continue to vote for your selfish croniest party who don't give a f*** about you then so be it but The Greens were voted in by an election and are in power in Brighton because that is what the people want(ed)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I really enjoy the liberal outlook most of us have in this city. It's a very comfortable place to be. Loads of local business and nice outdoor spaces, Queens Park is great.

My only complaint is the amount of drunks and junkies littered about all over the place. I live in Kemptown and I'm luck to go a day without some waster asking me for money.

This, Kemptown has got really bad for bums recently. I'm sure they have recently dumped a load of them up here. Some of them I used to see in Hove and are now mooching round up here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I for one applaud the greens for trying to make a difference to the environment and improving the town, country and world. So apparently do a large number of other people which i guess is how they got voted in. If you want to continue to vote for your selfish croniest party who don't give a f*** about you then so be it but The Greens were voted in by an election and are in power in Brighton because that is what the people want(ed)

Like the Tories and Labour before them they lead a minority council by virtue of doing the least shit on election day. That's nowhere near the same thing. Let's see how they get on after 4 years of increased parking fees, insufficient school places (and transport) and embarrassing u turns and internal fall outs.

Back to the question:

Like: The Amex, the seaside, Regency architecture, excellent local pubs, restaurants and independent shops (albeit still mourning Rounder and The Chip Basket). The not blinking an eyelid at the weird and wonderful. Proximity to country walks and pub lunches. A truly diverse community.

Dislike: Litter, street drinkers, house prices, unenforced 20mph zones (utterly pointless waste of money), people who moved here from Clapham when they got pregnant and the local edgy estate they bragged about suddenly got a bit too real and who think they know all about the City after 5 minutes living here.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I like pretty much everything but the house prices. I like the fact that it's very easy to drive around without getting stuck in congestion unlike virtually every other city, thus I'm completely contradicting [MENTION=3788]Barrel of Fun[/MENTION]

My favourite thing is the house prices...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
All my family as far back as we have traced 1703 have been born in Brighton.
Loved Brighton in the 50s/60s/70s,the Trams,not too much traffic,clean,wonderful gardens....trouble is being that good it attracted the homeless,the Druggies and the useless ones looking for an easy life. Still love Brighton but could'nt live there now....althiough my mother at 96 still lives there. I will never stop loving the Albion.

I could have written that, only we go back even further. My Mum didn't make 96, she died a couple of months ago at 95. The Church yard at Slindon is full of her Family.
I didn't think I could ever leave. Women........ The University changed my town irreparably by leaving people behind when they had finished their courses. These people have a big influence on the City for better or worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here