Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What did you enjoy more, getting to Europe or playing in Europe?

billhems

NSC Patron
Oct 23, 2022
With the contrast between Chelsea home last season and this season fresh in my mind as I queue for the train, I'm already thinking about next season with no European away days. We knew it might not happen again, and we made the most of it, but it's still going to leave a void next season.

Which season did you enjoy more: sweeping (almost) all before us last year, or the reward of the tour of a lifetime this year?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As one of of the 25,000 who didn’t travel to the away games in Europe, last season as a whole and the finale was by far and away the pinnacle. Beating almost anyone with a beautiful game. My European highlights were Ajax at home, Ajax away on the box, we missed Marseille at the Amex due to a holiday.

I expect those who got smashed in Amsterdam, Athens, Marseille and Rome, as part of a blue and white ‘legion’, will deem that the greatest.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
With the contrast between Chelsea home last season and this season fresh in my mind as I queue for the train, I'm already thinking about next season with no European away days. We knew it might not happen again, and we made the most of it, but it's still going to leave a void next season.

Which season did you enjoy more: sweeping (almost) all before us last year, or the reward of the tour of a lifetime this year?
Last season comfortably. The football we played last season was sensational, I actually think we deserved to qualify for the Champions League and would have done if we hadn’t been so knackered with all of the games piled up. We were better than Man Utd.

We’ve obviously not been anywhere near as good this season, I’ve found it a bit of a struggle to watch at times.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

A void. Christ. If I had ever managed to enjoy a night of Ugandan Discussion with legendary French actress, Fanny Ardant, back in the day, I'd hardly be moping the following morning about the void left after she departed.

For the record, if there is a record, and frankly I suggest, young man, that you curate that record, I had the time of my life this season, with Amsterdam away the icing on the cake.

And I expect more. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But soon.

:wink:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Definitely playing in Europe. Yes, it did have a knock on effect to our league form (coupled with a ridiculous number of injuries) but it was fantastic seeing us play some of the best sides in Europe.

We've learnt a lot about what it takes to compete in 4 competitions this season, and will be better for it going forward. Hopefully next season without it, we can push harder to regain it for 2025/26.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Playing 100%. I regret not going to Athens but had an absolute ball at the other away games. Definitely playing.

Last edited:

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
That group stage was like a fairytale, proper Roy of the Rovers stuff. After a pretty terrible start, we topped a group containing two European champions.

The end of last season was great fun, but it did feel like the team were hauling themselves over the line by their fingertips (e.g., I still think we effectively "threw" Newcastle away at the end of last season to focus on getting the points in the following, easier home game against Southampton).

So on balance I have to go for "playing in Europe".

That said, the fact we're not in Europe next season is part of the reason I'm so optimistic (too optimistic, some might say) for next season. I really think we're gonna have a great transfer window this summer, and with a lighter fixture schedule next season, we'll light up the league again.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
getting to Europe means many more wins along the way, so better for that.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think, on balance, the being there was better.
I saw 5 of our 8 games live and enjoyed them all.
Amsterdam in particular was a highlight and the series of coincidences that led to me stepping off a cruise ship to enjoy it made it the most memorable an away trip can be.
I am almost pleased we won’t have European games this autumn as I completely forgot to save some annual leave for them! Hopefully back the following year when I’ll be better prepared as much as the Albion will be!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
That said, the fact we're not in Europe next season is part of the reason I'm so optimistic (too optimistic, some might say) for next season. I really think we're gonna have a great transfer window this summer, and with a lighter fixture schedule next season, we'll light up the league again.
I still don't see any real reason to think that playing in Europe makes that much difference.

Apart from anything else, our league form's been pretty consistent all the way through bar our really bright start, regardless of any extra games in Europe. And the drop off in points overall is pretty much exactly what I'd expect from a team that lost MacAllister and Caicedo without having any equivalent replacements available.

Edit: but to answer the question, definitely playing in Europe.
1000016222.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here