Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What conspiracy theory do believe may be true?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think it's Genius, cannot find it on the net and I heard it here first. Hopefully it will now be spread :thumbsup:
I tried to make one up about Harold Wilson faking England's 1966 World Cup win to gain popularity for the Labour government! That was so OBVIOUSLY faked, I mean if there were any truth in it England would have got close to winning the World Cup again, wouldn't they?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I tried to make one up about Harold Wilson faking England's 1966 World Cup win to gain popularity for the Labour government! That was so OBVIOUSLY faked, I mean if there were any truth in it England would have got close to winning the World Cup again, wouldn't they?

Don't be so stupid

Aliens did it

This I like but feel it does stretch the bounds of credibility, particularly the bit about winning it again.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The only conspiracy I think there is, is that alternative forms of energy have been developed and are ready to use instead of fossil fuel, but because of the wealth and power oil brings, will never see the light of day.... until a few months before the worlds oil reserves run out!!

The Chinese are running away with thorium energy, sharpening a global race for the prize of clean, cheap, and safe nuclear power.

Thorium clean nuclear power

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
I believe that rich and powerful people , try and make sure , that rich and powerful people remain in important positions : such as Presidents , Monarchs , Prime Ministers , CEO's etc..

The only conspiracy I think there is, is that alternative forms of energy have been developed and are ready to use instead of fossil fuel, but because of the wealth and power oil brings, will never see the light of day.... until a few months before the worlds oil reserves run out!!

These are not 'conspiracy theories'; they are reality.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I don't accept any of the grand conspiracy theories banded around.

Ultimately, unless only 1 or 2 people were involved, no conspiracy would remain a secret for any significant amount of time - somebody would tell a spouse who then becomes an ex or make a deathbed confession or would generally let slip a little too much after a drink or two.

Derren Brown coherently explains why he doesn't use stooges in his shows and that's because paying them off to stay quiet would cost too much. Likewise with the grand conspiracy theories - someone somewhere would have more to gain then lose by letting the truth out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't accept any of the grand conspiracy theories banded around.

Ultimately, unless only 1 or 2 people were involved, no conspiracy would remain a secret for any significant amount of time - somebody would tell a spouse who then becomes an ex or make a deathbed confession or would generally let slip a little too much after a drink or two.

Derren Brown coherently explains why he doesn't use stooges in his shows and that's because paying them off to stay quiet would cost too much. Likewise with the grand conspiracy theories - someone somewhere would have more to gain then lose by letting the truth out.

You mean like it would be impossible to keep quiet something like dozens of police statements being altered to provide an alternative truth ? That could never be covered up !

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's not even a conspiracy theory to be honest, that is a cold hard fact.

Dec 29, 2011
Not for ever. That's the point. If too many people are needed to make the conspiracy happen, the truth always comes out in the end.

So you're accepting things like Diana's murder, 9/11 etc could be conspiracies? Not enough time has passed since the events to ensure people in the know might still come out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
These are not 'conspiracy theories'; they are reality.

not really. i mean the first isnt a conspiracy, its just a self perpetuating nature of wealth and power, you look after those who got you there.

the second though is clearly untrue. there are plenty of known alternatives to fossil fuels, we just chose not to use them because they are either impractical (like electric cars), have considerations we are scared of (nuclear), or just cost alot more (wind). the problem is burning fossils is extremely cheap and convienient compared to other power sources, we have become hooked and want it to continue. consider that for 50 years Russia and the Chinese were free of the hegemony of western corporate interests, yet they have embraced the same technologies.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
So you're accepting things like Diana's murder, 9/11 etc could be conspiracies? Not enough time has passed since the events to ensure people in the know might still come out.

I believe there is a direct correlation between the number of people required to pull it off and the length of time it could remain secret...

Diana: 4-man squad, commanding officer, couple of logistics people getting equipment into France, at least 4 MOD people who knew special ops team in Paris, half a dozen politicians, civil servants, private secretaries, 15 intelligence gatherers/surveillance team, couple at GCHQ "losing" the communications, etc - far too many people would need to have been involved for no-one to have let out the truth!

Likewise 9-11. Whilst I may accept that over time it might become apparent the US knowingly "relaxed" some security measures because an attack (any attack) would galvanise public opinion and there are such things as acceptable loses in their minds, too many people would be involved if this specific incident was internally planned or known to be planned externally and ignored.

I believe that a line from Mark Walhberg's "Shooter" is the perfect counter argument to most government-led conspiracies...
FBI Agent1: "How did we get this information so quickly?"
FBI Agent2: "Because we're good at our jobs"
FBI Agent1: "We work for the government, we're not that good at our jobs!"

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

How do you choose who to ask to carry out the Diana deed?

Do they go through a process of asking potential candidates where if they say "no I don't want the job" they mysteriously die themselves within 5 mins.

If you ask someone to do it and they refuse, you can't let them go can you? I would have said it would have been very hard to recruit for this particular job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here