• White and gold

Votes: 120 75.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I've just seen the dress on tv and it is clearly black and blue. The optical illusion seems to be restricted to the light, shade and composition of the still photograph rather than a trick of the dress.

Adjust it to the correct contrast instead of bleachout mode and then you get the correct colour of the dress.

bluedress-315-new.gif

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What I don't understand is this: if people have difficulty telling these colours apart, does this mean that an Inter Milan v Luton match would be difficult to ref? :)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Blue and Black for me ...... But then I am colour blind so I really don't have a scooby!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've just seen the dress on tv and it is clearly black and blue. The optical illusion seems to be restricted to the light, shade and composition of the still photograph rather than a trick of the dress.

Adjust it to the correct contrast instead of bleachout mode and then you get the correct colour of the dress.

That would be the case if we were all seeing white and gold.

Here there are two people looking at the same picture on the same screen at the same angle. To one it is white and gold - there is absolutely no doubt about that. To the other it is 100% blue and black. Neither can believe the other can see the colours they are claiming to. We only do believe it because of discussions like this from independent people.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Here there are two people looking at the same picture on the same screen at the same angle. To one it is white and gold - there is absolutely no doubt about that. To the other it is 100% blue and black. Neither can believe the other can see the colours they are claiming to. We only do believe it because of discussions like this from independent people.

Wait until it flips and you both start seeing the other colours instead.

Happened here to a few of us, which prompted much apologising and more than a little 'Oh, I see what you mean now!'.

Wonder how long it'll be before some enterprising individual produces a white and gold version for sale. Personally prefer the look of it, and I was seeing blue/black originally.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
On the work pc it was White and Gold (but the machine is old and slow and graphically next to useless)

Now at home and it's alternating between white and gold & blue and black every 3 seconds.

Is one the negative of the other?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's caused a right family argument here, the wife is in a right mood now as she thinks we're all taking the mickey saying it's white and gold (she's not seen it on the internet yet). Looking at the same device, like others are reporting, we're seeing different things.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
On the work pc it was White and Gold (but the machine is old and slow and graphically next to useless)

Now at home and it's alternating between white and gold & blue and black every 3 seconds.

Is one the negative of the other?

No, that's because me and Sym put up 'gif' files where somebody has done a white balance edit on the photo to create 2 photos forming the gif file.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

I've tweaked (to an extreme degree) a lot of digital scans of old, poorly exposed slides and negatives. Going up and down the contrast and exposure sliders has never made any colour differences as extreme as this.

I am amazed, but I don't dare ask my wife about this...

Yoda

English & European

But I've looked at the same image on the first post of this thread, at different times of the day, on the same pc/monitor at work, with the same contrast etc, and seen both colours combinations at different times.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Yep, in that photo an optical illusion is created, and I can make it switch between the two, I first saw white and gold, and now it is lilac and brown,however after I saw the designer wearing the dress on the TV, it looks like a third version with a rich royal blue full black, and nothing like the ones our brains are trying to figure out in the image.

This is a good optical illusion.

If you see this lady turning clockwise, you are using your Right Brain.
If you see it counterclockwise, you are using Left Brain.

dancinggirl.gif

phoenix

May 18, 2009
White-and-gold-ists - if you start at the bottom of page 1 of this thread and then scroll slowly upwards to the original picture of the dress, does it briefly look blue/black to you before returning to white/gold?

That's happening to me now.

It stays blue/black for a good 5 seconds, then back to white/gold.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Blue and black. Anyone seeing anything else is fooking weird

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here