Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What club do your KIDS support ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dave the Gaffer said:
But why?

What happens if people move.....my mate's Dad was in the RAF and he lived all over the country and abroad...are you suggesting he should have switched allegiances every time he moved?

No. I should have said "where you live or where your family's allegiance lies".

After all, I lived near to Selhurst Park for 20 years and it didn't turn me into a Palace supporter.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Croydonbloke said:
Shall be quite interesting next season then. :D

Admittedly when we played them in The Championship she diplomatically wanted a draw.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Man of Harveys said:
So you think everyone should just blithely drift towards this Sky and other telly-fuelled crap whereby all non-Premiership football is perceived to be a risible collection of goalkeeping howlers watched by nothing but Sid and Doris Bonkers? It is still 1994 where you are?

Meanwhile more kudos to the Pezzas and the Palace fans on here who have done the right thing by theirs - in the longer term, their kids will thank them for it. Good times seem better when they're few and far between.

No not at all....where i live in Mile Oak around the corner from me are a family who all support Chelsea...their cars are adorned with chelsea kits, they go home and away, are Season Ticket holders. Accross the road, the family are Arsenal fans who likewise go home and away. they enjoy their football, they do it as a family and Yes their kids walk around in Chelsea and Arsenal shirts.

So according to the arguments above, they should somehow be forced to watch Brighton because they live here? Why? they are all Brightonians, but they dont give a monkeys about Brighton...why should they? If people want o support their local team than good luck to them, if they dont then again, fine.

And to use your final argument, fans that support Brighton are "better" fans than those who dont? How do you possibly work that one out?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
pasty said:
Last Sunday morning Que Serra Serra by Doris Day came on the radio. Imagine my delight when my 14 year old step-daughter joined in, totally unprompted, with When I was just a little boy...I asked my mother what will I be.....etc etc.

I bet it brought a tear to the eye of a proud step-dad.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Our boy loves Arsenal, but he always wears his Albion tops on matchdays! Considering where we live none of his mates are Saints fans, most are into Chelsea and Arsenal and even Pompey! :ohmy:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dave the Gaffer said:
So according to the arguments above, they should somehow be forced to watch Brighton because they live here?
Who's ever said that?
Dave the Gaffer said:
And to use your final argument, fans that support Brighton are "better" fans than those who dont? How do you possibly work that one out?
Who on earth has said that and where? Are you OK?

Although yes, if you mean to say that anyone - of any age - who chooses not just to buy into the unsubstantiated and boring dish-selling drivel about how the Premiership is the best league in the world, or chooses to turn their nose up at Russian mafia money financing their side and buying the league, IS definitely a far better, more dedicated football fan than those who pick "their" side based on who's top of the table while they're at school, then I'd agree. Quite simple, really.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Race said:
Our boy loves Arsenal, but he always wears his Albion tops on matchdays! Considering where we live none of his mates are Saints fans, most are into Chelsea and Arsenal and even Pompey! :ohmy:

when tank was playing for Gillingham did he put a gills top on then...ie was he supporting his Dad as opposed to the team?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Kids will ALWAYS be drawn to the more 'popular' clubs, simply because of the exposure on TV and in the Media. When I was growing up in the late 60s and 70s I was obsessed with FOOTBALL in general although my team has always been The Albion. Manchester United were the glamour team and then in the 70s Liverpool took over.

My eldest is 17 and he likes football although he doesn't have a specific club he supports. He came to Orient a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it so all is maybe not lost!

My eldest daughter is nearly 15 and having been born in Southampton regards herself as primarily a Saints fan. I don't have a problem with this, especially as she has been with me to loads of Albion games and is coming on Saturday to Crewe. Good girl.

Next in line we have Fraser who is 6 and I have high hopes for him. He LOVES football and LOVES The Albion. He is also coming on Saturday and is so excited about the whole day.

This is him:

30jan0262tb5.jpg

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Our youngest is 4 and also seems to like football so there is hope for her as well. She basically wants to do the same things as Fraser so expect another full Albion kit for her next birthday!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Man of Harveys said:
Who's ever said that?

Who on earth has said that and where? Are you OK?

"I think kids should support their local club. There's nothing wrong with supporting Man U if you live in Manchester, but there's plenty wrong if you live in Croydon or Bromley".Posted by gwynlan....and yes I am ok...no need to patronise me

Although yes, if you mean to say that anyone - of any age - who chooses not just to buy into the unsubstantiated and boring dish-selling drivel about how the Premiership is the best league in the world, or chooses to turn their nose up at Russian mafia money financing their side and buying the league IS definitely a far better, more dedicated football fan than those who pick "their" side based on who's top of the table while they're at school. Quite simple, really.

But surely isnt that how people get into football anyway.....I will give you an example.....my wife asked me if I wanted ( she wanted really) to go to watch London Irish...she had seen the game played on Sky, enjoyed it, seen the ground and liked the look of it and wanted to experience the occasion....we bvoth went and loved every minute of it. If it wasnt for Sky, she would not have even asked the question. I am sure young kids living in Brighton have asked their Dads to go and see these demonic premier sides and have become hooked.. what is so wrong with that? So for all the " I hate Sky " bollocks, perhaps there are people out there who actually like Sky and have made decisions to go and watch a sport they may not have bothered about...is that so wong?

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
You never know how much you influence your children by your own words and actions but I just feel my 8 year old has an attachment to the club. He goes to games, has been a ball boy and gets to actually meet the players at Junior Seagulls events.

This just makes the club more real I think, something I don't think you can have when you support a big club even if you go to the odd game.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
My son is only 13 months but I can't imagine him not coming to Palace with me eventually. As my dad and grandad did before me.

I'm a bit worried by some of the comments here. Do kids really have a choice in some households?

My wife is from Norwich but that won't impact the decision, although she wants to keep the boy from a lifetime of pain - character building I say.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
MOH you are a naughty boy are you stalking DTG. :lolol:

I have noticed that you seem to have taken an objectionable line against him in recent months.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Dave the Gaffer said:
when tank was playing for Gillingham did he put a gills top on then...ie was he supporting his Dad as opposed to the team?

To be honest he wasnt really into football at all when when his dad was at Gillingham, probably a bit too young then. He wore his Gills shirt when they got to Wembley but dont remember him ever showing much of an interest apart from that!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
No Dave...you're scaring me now...everyone should just "support" Man Utd because they're always on telly and that's how anyone and everyone gets in sport isn't it - erm, apart from all Brighton fans, of course - we aren't on telly very often these days - and a whole load of others on this thread, obviously - but let's agree to ignore them because it might be "patronising" to mention them.

All together now:
SIR ALEX'S LOVELY RED ARMY
WITH THAT FAT BLOKE UP FRONT WHOSE NAME ESCAPES ME BUT I RECOGNISE FROM THE WORLD CUP...DWAYNE SOMETHING
woohooowoo RA RA :lolol: :shootself

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
rool said:
MOH you are a naughty boy are you stalking DTG. :lolol:

I have noticed that you seem to have taken an objectionable line against him in recent months.
No way, seriously, not at all. We're good mates and, as such, when I think he's talking bollocks I say so and when I do, I'd very much want and expect him to do the same (time permitting - it would be quite a full time job).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kids can, and will, support who they feel the most affinity with. To try and brainwash or bully them into following your club is understandable but you live your life and let them live theirs. if they don't want to follow a club like Brighton at Withdean that's up to them. If we ever do a Reading/ Wigan then expect all the young sprogs to start supporting the Albion.

None of the above applies if your son decides to be a scum fan of course.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Dave the Gaffer said:
No not at all....where i live in Mile Oak around the corner from me are a family who all support Chelsea...their cars are adorned with chelsea kits, they go home and away, are Season Ticket holders. Accross the road, the family are Arsenal fans who likewise go home and away. they enjoy their football, they do it as a family and Yes their kids walk around in Chelsea and Arsenal shirts.

So according to the arguments above, they should somehow be forced to watch Brighton because they live here? Why? they are all Brightonians, but they dont give a monkeys about Brighton...why should they? If people want o support their local team than good luck to them, if they dont then again, fine.

Advocating the devil David?

I have not too much of a problem with what you say. But what I will not tolerate is the likes of the Chelsea and Arsenal familes looking down thier nose at me or my boys because we are loyal to a club in a lower league.

We should live and let live but I am afraid I have zip all respect for individuals who 'choose' a successful team to follow. Ultimately it will be the death of football as we know it.

As posted on another thread I was quite rudely told that I had no opinion to offer on a football related matter because of this very fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here