Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What chance do you think England have of getting out of the group?

Chance if England qualifying through the Group?

Votes: 9 6.6%

Votes: 34 25.0%

Votes: 63 46.3%

Votes: 20 14.7%

Votes: 10 7.4%

• Total voters

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
gone for a safe 3, depends how well we can adapt our pacey game to the climate in Brazil - if we get a point of Italy I reckon we will qualify for the next round.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
If we beat Italy and Costa Rica, we'll be okay. I don't think a draw against Italy will do it though.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Will be interesting. If we get a draw against Italy I think we might be okay. Uraguay have everyone in a blind panic but they finished fifth in a South American qualifying group that lacked Brazil. Good going forward but equally as bad at defending.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'm very confident about England. It's nice to be going to a major tournament with a manager who has been so bold and ambitious in his selection. Even if we don't progress, we've got a good number of talented young players now who will have some great experience to their names. But I think we will, I predict Uruguay will miss out. I also think Costa Rica will be tougher than everybody expects.

Agree about Costa Rica. They have nothing to lose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Going all the way.

This is the most confident I've ever felt about England at a World Cup.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Right-back appears to be our Achilles Heel. I think we'll qualify after a struggle but the good teams will have had 3 matches to realise we can't defend down the right. I think we'll either lose to Ivory Coast in the last 16 or Brazil in the Q/F.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Italy were appalling against ROI the other day and Uruguay were also shocking against Northern Ireland. I think we could surprise a few.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
3. Very tough, but our attack and midfield has plenty going for it. Draw against Italy and then it's all about the Uruguay game.

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
From 1 - Definitely
To 5 - No Chance

I can't quite decide, the first game against Italy, we simply cannot lose. Then it's a toss up as to whether we can beat Uruguay. Awesome in attack, poor in defence whilst we are mediocre in both- hopefully Rooney can finally show his worth in a WC.

Ooh matron

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
3 for me. There's not much in it between ourselves, Italy and Uruguay. I have it in my head that Italy are slow starters to tournaments(although I have no facts or research to back that up...) so that could be of benefit to us. Plus we are much bettered prepared to face them than two years ago, we have speedy, skillful players who can genuinely hurt them on the counter rather than relying on a lump forward to Andy Carroll.

I'm unsure on Uruguay. Cavani and Suaraz is obviously an excellent partnership and they won the last Copa America, but...they finished fifth in a group of nine that didn't include Brazil and lost five of their eight games outside of Uruguay. So their must be some hope there for us.

As for Costa Rica, we should be able to beat them particularly if it's known we need the win.

Having said all that, having down my wall chart predictions I have us winning the group and going all the way to the semi's where we lose heroically to Argentina. I also have Honduras finishing second and Spain not getting out of the group, so...:shrug:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Look at our squad - its very inexperienced and the midfield is weak - Look at the teams we're playing - Italy who completely dominated us two years ago; and Uruguay, in South America with Suarez and Cavani up front. Look at where we're playing - first game against Italy in Manaus in the middle of the Amazon, so hot and humid.

I haven't put 5 because to say no chance is silly, but I'd be amazed if we qualified

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Look at our squad - its very inexperienced and the midfield is weak - Look at the teams we're playing - Italy who completely dominated us two years ago; and Uruguay, in South America with Suarez and Cavani up front. Look at where we're playing - first game against Italy in Manaus in the middle of the Amazon, so hot and humid.

I haven't put 5 because to say no chance is silly, but I'd be amazed if we qualified

We're much bettered prepared to play Italy now, I think. 2012 was very much a make do tournament with Hodgson being parachuted in two(?) months before it started and only given a couple of friendlies to work with the squad. It was always going to be a highly pragmatic effort. And lets not forget that despite dominating for 100 of the 120 minutes Italy didn't beat us, or even score.

We also now have a squad that is capable of playing fast, counter attacking football which will give Italy much more to think about than the aimless hoof up to Carrol that we employed last time. This will, I think, lead to us getting a number of free kicks as Italy won't want to be faced with dangerous 1 on 1 2 on 2 breaks, so they'll do what the can to stop them at source. We possess a real set piece threat so there's this angle to think about too.

The heat will play its part in our favour too. I can't imagine either side is going to be doing a whole lot of high intensity pressing in their opponents half so we shouldn't be under the constant pressure we were last time. Both teams, I'm sure, will indulge in a lot of 'aimless' passing/keep ball in their own half to give themselves a breather.

As for Uruguay Suarez could be key. They reckon he'll be fit for the world cup, but we know from our own previous experience that talismanic players(Owen, Rooney, Beckham) might well technically be recovered from injury but they struggle to exert the kind of influence on the tournament that might be expected of them. As for them being a south American team playing in south America...they only finished fifth out of nine in qualifying in a Brazil-less group and outside of Uruguay they lost 5 out of their 8 games, including some proper tonkings at the hands of Argentina, Bolivia and Colombia(3-0, 4-1, 4-0 respectively).

None of this means I think we're favourites to qualify or even that we will. It's just food for thought and enough to suggest to me that it won't be an amazing feat if we do get out of the group.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
2 and a bit. I don't think we'll beat Italy, but reckon we'll get 6 points from the Uruguay/CR games.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Given the climate and 2 of the group games being tough, I would go for 4. Can only see us winning one of those games

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Walk in the park, straight through.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Draw against Italy, lose to Uruguay, beat Costa Rica. Out on goal difference.

D

Deleted member 22389

Italy aren't the team people think they are. They don't fill me with fear at all. I predict England and Uruguay will progress, unless the Suarez injury is worse than claimed.

You must never write off Italy. Yes I think England can beat them, but Italy are always there or thereabouts at nearly every single tournament. I find it strange how the pundits write off Italy at every single tournament and then two weeks or three weeks later Italy are there.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/ed...ps-and-28-european-trophies-why-are-italy-the

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here