[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I’m sure you do, but you know it’s a novel (a terrific one) and not an actual journal, don’t you? De Foe was five when the plague raged so he would’ve been fairly aware of it, and probably heard lots of stories that he fictionalised too. But it is fiction primarily and our hero is a character.

There are certainly parallels with how people reacted to a virus, then and now, although of course the plague was way deadlier. Catch it and 99% of the time it’s a death sentence.

Yes indeed (which I now realise my post admittedly didn't make clear), and his uncle, who probably had a closer first-hand knowledge, was supposedly a major source. The watchmen paid to guard infected houses (sometimes people who had lost jobs elsewhere) were real and were perhaps an early equivalent of an attempt to redeploy furloughed workers. Mind you. I'd rather pick fruit than force people to stay in buildings with plague-hit relatives..

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Brilliant book about the story of how the SAS was formed, with tales from its early days raiding in the deserts of North Africa, & beyond.
Thoroughly recommend for those into military history.

View attachment 123138

I've read a few of his and they're very good and easy to read. Bbc4 are showing a few of his docs this week at 9pm- Operation Mincemeat and the Double Agent one

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Due to lack of new material, have just started trying to re-read Jpod by Douglas Coupland. Doubt I'll get beyond the first couple of chapters, just seems horribly contrived and HACKNEYED now, same as Generation X and Microserfs before it. Really really haven't aged well. But enough about myself already :moo:

Robinson Crusoe .... the look, not the book :O

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
And Smith Did Score. Dug it out for a re-read. It hasn’t improved. Full of Self interest and opinion that must have grated on his teammates.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
ive gone for something light,,, first they killed my father,, story of a girl who survived the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. Having visited the Killing fields and remembering listening to it on the news at the time it is an interesting account.

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
I don't read as often as I should, but in the current lockdown situation I have particularly enjoyed Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. Beautifully written, haunting and powerful.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Just finished re-reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Forgot how descriptively gruesome McCarthy's novels are

Now re-reading The Sound and The Fury by Fulkner

Unfortunately I don't seem to have any happy, jolly stuff to read!

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I am reading The Diary of Samuel Pepys, just over half way through (1665) and am amazed at the similarities between the Bubonic plague,which also started in China, and Covid19 outbreaks, Pepys giving weekly totals of dead and infected people and describing the relief as the plague starts to ease down. A fascinating read and remarkable insight into 17th. Century Britain.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Just finished Let me be Frank with you, by Richard Ford - hard to find any better or funnier commentater of US society, at least the well off East Coast mob and somewhat older age group.....at least in this one, now moving on to a darker read re the dissappearance/massacre of the 43 students here in Mexico 6 years ago La Verdadera noche de Iguala by Annabel Hernandez a very brave Mexican investigative journalist - there is a doc on Netflix which to a degree is based on her book if you want some sombre viewing....

Endus

Feb 17, 2020
The Bible. Figured I'd challenge my atheistic beliefs. This book is a damn trip and a half and I'm not even done with Genesis yet.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Bible. Figured I'd challenge my atheistic beliefs. This book is a damn trip and a half and I'm not even done with Genesis yet.

It livens up at the end :D

This morning I started re-reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Hunter S. Thompson with wonderful illustrations by Ralph Steadman)

Only got to page 6 and had to take a break from laughing so much

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It livens up at the end :D

This morning I started re-reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Hunter S. Thompson with wonderful illustrations by Ralph Steadman)

Only got to page 6 and had to take a break from laughing so much

Superb book, Mr Gonzo and the birth of a whole new writing/journalism.

Gets messier and crazier.....

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Long Road To Mercy - David Baldacci

It's an excellent read. Thoroughly enjoying it, like I do most of his.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have just finished re-reading The Bridge by Iain Banks. I first read it over 25 years ago, and it had a massive effect on me then.

What a truly magnificent book. Mind-bending, emotional, funny and unique.

I'm gonna have to read some of his other books again now. What a writer that man was.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Like This, For Ever - Sharon Bolton

Only two books left after this, if anyone is interested in Chris Stewart books PM me as I have three going free

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
For anyone even vaguely interested in HST, I can't recommend The Great Shark Hunt highly enough. Sort of his journalistic Greatest Hits from when he was at the peak of his powers. It's about the size of a housebrick and a glorious read from beginning to end

I had a copy of that, but never got round to reading it :down: ....

Finding re-reading books during lockdown really good. I am actually taking the time to read them and not just skim quickly during train journeys or whatever

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
For anyone even vaguely interested in HST, I can't recommend The Great Shark Hunt highly enough. Sort of his journalistic Greatest Hits from when he was at the peak of his powers. It's about the size of a housebrick and a glorious read from beginning to end

Yes I haven't read it for about 25 years but loved it. Wonder how well it has fared.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports