Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Shadow of the Titanic. Fascinating book about the survivors - exposing the darker side of those (largely first class) passengers who survived - bribes being paid not to turn back the half empty lifeboats to pick up people in the water, men who took the places of women in the lifeboats etc. and how their reputations were ruined because of it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Girls Like Us by Sheila Weller - about the careers of Carole King, Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon. And and I'm steadily ploughing my way through Simon Schama's Embarrassment Of Riches and the History Of The World In 100 Objects by the British Museum chappy. One day I'd like to be reading only one book at a time.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Anyone ever read Infinite Jest by David Foster-Wallace - something like 1000 pages long - is it worth it would be my question as it's one that's forever been on my 'to read' list.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Just finished Heartstone by CJ Sansom. Last book so far in the Shardlake series set around the reign of Henry viii. Great author - highly recommend all his books.
While I am here, can anyone recommend any other good historical fiction apart from Cornwell.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
(2011)Marcus Tullius Cicero, In defence of the Republic Translation by Siobhan McEleduff, Pengiun Classics

I have to report sources exactly now for my OU degree stuff, so I am getting into practice...LOL

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just finished Heartstone by CJ Sansom. Last book so far in the Shardlake series set around the reign of Henry viii. Great author - highly recommend all his books.
While I am here, can anyone recommend any other good historical fiction apart from Cornwell.

If you want ancient history, try the Manfreddi books. His trilogy on Alexander is excellent as is his books about Sparta.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Back From The Brink - Alasdair Darling. Bought it because it was cheap in the Kindle sale, it's turned out to be incredibly engrossing. Way more interesting than I thought it would be and makes you realise just how close things got to being completely f'd.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Language, Saussure and Wittgenstein by Roy Harris

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here