Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Broken Road - Patrick Leigh-Fermor

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Secret History - Donna Tartt. Think i must have previously abandoned it as it seemed familiar for the first 100 or so pages but just can't remember.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Duel of Eagles - Peter Townsend - an account of the Battle of Britain in which he served as a Squadron Leader.

More interestingly in my opinion, it has a detailed description of how the RAF and Luftwaffe started out and then ended up facing one another in 1940, in terms of men, machines and crucially organisation. Basically one side used Science and the other didn't...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The Diaries of Field Marshall Alanbrooke 700 plus pages and only half way through. Kept a diary throughout the war. Very clear one rare people that stood up to Churchill

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Bloke came I the pub where I work and recommended SCRUBLANDS by Chris Hammer.

Mystery tale set in outback Australia.
Excellent recommendation that I am happy to pass on

I've just finished this, after choosing based on your recommendation. I very much enjoyed it too - particularly the Aussie colloquialisms, which meant I was reading with a full-on Aussie accent in my head.

I've just lined up the next in the series (Silver) to read too and will report back.

Thanks for the recommendation Baz :thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stupid White Men - Michael Moore

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Great British Journeys - Nicolas Crane

theboybilly

Catastrophe 1914: Europe goes to war by Max Hastings. Picked it up for free on Amazon Prime and was a bit sceptical about it as I nailed Hastings as the author of a load of "Why, oh why?" articles for the Mail, but it's rather good. It's a detailed look at the first year of the war, right from when the ostrich is killed by someone called Archie.

There's been a lot of painstaking research, with sources from all sides of the conflict, and is very well written. My initial thought was that it was going to be a lot about the brave and stout-hearted British rescuing the cowering French from the sneaky Hun, but it's nothing like that at all - the reverse, if anything. I've not finished it yet, but the French are depicted as fighting bravely while the British spend most of their time trying to avoid conflict. It's scathing about the commanders of all the armies though.

Politicians come off even worse though, particularly Churchill, ironically given his reputation as a war leader.

I'm going to dig out a few more of his books - I've had a complete about-turn.

I love Max Hastings histories. As you say he has a way in the mainstream press but is a pretty good read book-wise. He has a new one out about the battle for Malta. That's on my Christmas list.
With regard to the build-up to WW1 I found Barbara Tuchman's 'The Guns of August' almost thebenchmark for thst period but surprisingly is now not considered so highly. Its still a very enjoyable book and one I often revisit on audio.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Just started re-reading 'The Foundation' series, by Asimov. Loved them decades ago and thought they warranted another airing.
I've often wondered why they've never been turned into a decent film series....perhaps they will, eventually.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Lost at School - Dr Ross Greene. An excellent book on how to cater for kids with behavioural challenges in schools.

Steven Morris' memoir of Joy Division - Soon to be moving on to his time with New Order.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Elite - The history of the Rhodesian S.A.S by Barbara Cole.

Just started but great so far.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Queen Of Our Times: The Life of Elizabeth II
by Robert Hardman.

Loving this book. ��

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I love Max Hastings histories. As you say he has a way in the mainstream press but is a pretty good read book-wise. He has a new one out about the battle for Malta. That's on my Christmas list.
With regard to the build-up to WW1 I found Barbara Tuchman's 'The Guns of August' almost thebenchmark for thst period but surprisingly is now not considered so highly. Its still a very enjoyable book and one I often revisit on audio.

I finished the book. It got a lot more positive about the British Army towards the end but it was very well balanced. I'll check out Tuchman, that's a new name to me.

I'm going to look at more Hastings' books: I was impressed. I think Beevor is the doyen of 20th century military history but Hastings did a good job.

My current read is something totally different: Winchelsea by Alex Preston. I like books set in Sussex and this has got some terrific reviews - a modern-day Moonfleet. I've only just started it but it looks like a great read

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here