Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have gone back to the Jo Nesbo series (Harry Hole). I missed one in the series a couple back (has to be read in order; Aspergers, innit) so I am reluctantly reading The Redeemer.

I like Harry Hole. My kind of bloke. There is a bit in the book where his line manager bollocks him about discipline, citing the Japanese, and how they were so disciplined that an officer would shoot his own soldier during the war for slacking off. Hole listened patiently. After the homily he asked: "So, remind me, boss, how did it work out for the Japanese in the end?" :ROFLMAO:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Geoff Boycott Autobiography
AKA "I never laid a finger on her, by 'eck I didn't, and anyone says t'otherwise, is a bloody liar!"

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
'The Murder Book'. The newest in the Thorne series by Mark Billingham. Highly recommend if never read this series before. All are fantastic.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I have gone back to the Jo Nesbo series (Harry Hole). I missed one in the series a couple back (has to be read in order; Aspergers, innit) so I am reluctantly reading The Redeemer.

I like Harry Hole. My kind of bloke. There is a bit in the book where his line manager bollocks him about discipline, citing the Japanese, and how they were so disciplined that an officer would shoot his own soldier during the war for slacking off. Hole listened patiently. After the homily he asked: "So, remind me, boss, how did it work out for the Japanese in the end?" :ROFLMAO:
I'm just reading The Jealousy Man by Jo Nesbo. My word, it's a tough read! It's a collection of short stories in the style of Tales of the Unexpected. So much so, I would swear I saw at least one of them int the Roald Dahl series on TV. The title story is interminable and I couldn't finish it. I didn't finish another either. Three stories left to go which I'm determined to finish as the book was a gift. But it's just so derivative of the Roald Dahl stories which must have influenced him and he just isn't as good at the genre.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Happy Isles of Oceania - Paul Theroux

As you all know I read quite a bit and I have to say this book is stunningly good, highly recommend

Last edited:

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Updated edition of Mudhoney: The Sound and the Fury from Seattle by Keith Cameron

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fifty Miles Wide - Julian Sayarer

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
True Believe by Jack Carr.

The sequel to The Terminal List. Boys own adventure but done well. Silly but intelligent, if it can be both.

Alongside

Dick Turpin by James Sharpe.

A history of the infamous highwayman. And it’s fascinating. Loving it.

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
 Nadar by James Rubin (French edition). Short bio and the best photos from the 19th century's first portraitist of stature. (Think Yousuf Karsh)

Et Franquin créa la gaffe. Out of print for nearly 40 years, finally republished just last month. 500 pages of interviews given by pioneering cartoonist André Franquin (Spirou, Gaston Lagaffe, Marsupilami) in 1985 to Numa Sadoul, who had done the same with Hergé (Tintin) a decade earlier.

The Beatles : Get Back by Peter Jackson. For my 21-year-old musician son, who's watched the complete 8-hour doc 9 times, so far. (I passed my Beatlemaniac genes on to him!)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Just finished the second Richard Osmon book. Much like the first, good mix of puzzle/murder to solve and some great characters and laughs.
Started 23 Things They don't you about capitalism by Ha Joon Chang based on the Radio 4 programmes on his new book Edible Economics

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
**ALERT** I am actually reading a book.
I'm reading Brain Hortons biography, '2000 Games', very enjoyable so far, the first book I've read since Bob Bookers biography came out.

I just don't get books. I've signed up to a 'beer and book' subscription club, 6 craft beers and a book every so often, I have a feeling the books will gather dust.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Answering The Call. The Extraordinary Life of Sir Wes Hall by Paul Akeroyd.

Seriously brilliant book and highly recommended as a Christmas gift

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The Night Manager by John le Carre, but it goes on a bit and I don't think its one of his best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here