Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
England’s Dreaming by Jon Savage. A brilliant book about the punk scene in general and the Sex Pistols in particular.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That’ll be that my next stop.

Hook’s isn’t a 600 page rant against Sumner and Morris. Some bitchy comments, it all boils down to the age old issue in any workplace and 99.9% of bands, of (excuse the pun) control. Hook felt that as time went on, the others had manipulated it so Sumner was the de facto boss. But the book’s in the main a great read on the music, creativity, and countless incidents on their tours.

I’ve parked the book in recent weeks. Because I stumbled online across a bio by the manager/assistant manager of The Top Rank Suite, Busby’s and The Pink Coconut from 1976 to the late 80’s. So I bought the paperback. A personal thing to me, it’s fantastic ... I enjoyed that scene as a youngster from 1982 onwards ... had the time of my life. New Order was very much part of that time too.

Similar to Bernard's really. He devotes a couple of chapters to the fall out and seems perplexed as to what Hook was so upset about.

Who knows the truth of it. Big personalities both wanting control as you say.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Five Lives by Hallie Rubenhold. It's the story of the five women killed by Jack the Ripper and presents them as real human beings, rather than mere victims.
It's a brilliant book, full of warmth and humanity about real human beings who loved and were loved and whose only connection was a miserable death.

Highly recommended

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Im on a bit of a theme at the moment and, after reading books by Laurent Fignon, & another about Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault in the '86 TDF, Im now on to Geraint Thomas.

20200305_091051-01.jpeg

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Into The Fire by Gregg Hurwitz, the latest in the Orphan X series.

Just finished A Delayed Life by Dita Kraus, the autobiography by the woman The Librarian of Auschwitz was based on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A Parrott In The Pepper Tree - Chris Stewart

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Had sort of resigned myself to having to wait halfway through the year to be able to buy the paperback version of Bill Bryson's 'The Body - A Guide For Occupants' but have just this very morning scored an Airport Exclusive copy at Gatwick. Result! :clap:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
England’s Dreaming by Jon Savage. A brilliant book about the punk scene in general and the Sex Pistols in particular.

Superb book punk:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Daunting - over 800 pages, starts with a 5-page list of characters, and about 15 of them are called Thomas :mad:

61KxZV3VAiL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Let? Let?! I'd INSIST on it!

He really is the love of your life then. :kiss::love: And surely the s on the end means he is even better. Like a reverse Wash and Go. Why take one Sidwell into the shower when you can take multiple.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This arrived from Amazon today. Big fan of his other, grunty Cumbrian, detective stories. Looking forward to starting it on the train tomorrow. Anyone read it (came out in 2015)?

Craven.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Im on a bit of a theme at the moment and, after reading books by Laurent Fignon, & another about Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault in the '86 TDF, Im now on to Geraint Thomas.

View attachment 120715

They're all legends, amazing athletes. But do they ever allude to performance enhancing drug taking/blood doping by them or their teams, or do they maintain innocence? It was even more rife in the Hinault era than now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here