Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] What are you eating on World Vegan Day?

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Shepherds pie for me with some cauliflower, courgettes and carrots on the side.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Tonight is mince and onion in beef gravy with mash, peas and yorkshire pudding. A real rib sticker.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember going into a veggie restaurant in Prague and discovered that the soup had bits of bacon in it. When we protested about it, we were told there was only a little bit and 90% of it was vegetable. Prague has changed a bit since then (this was 26 years ago) but by much

Ha. This still happens in Bavaria! My vege friend also repeatedly asked for a small beer. “Ha ha English funny guy” as a mass was slammed on the table... was the response.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And to be honest I’ve found that people are far more unpleasant to vegans than vice versa. The days of vegans only being white guys with dreadlocks called “Storm” (real name: Ian) who stage protests outside abattoirs are long gone- it’s a ridiculously quick growing section of Society and I think more people are doing it more for environmental reasons than animal welfare these days and don’t feel the need to preach or aggressively chastise those who eat meat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You missed the riduculous Vegan protest at Tesco Church Road the other weekend then ? Blocking the meat isle so people couldn't get to the meat. Alledgedly it was a silent protest so some of them taped their mouths up ...... ignoring the utter prat on the megaphone demonising meat :facepalm:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Strangely I saw a lot of council estate types there. That surprised me.

There for the free food samples. Duh! :lolol:

I bloody love a good steak, a chicken breast, Pork - you name it. I won't eat Veal or Lamb (give the poor buggers a chance to get past childhood) or Foie Gras (as that is proper abuse).

That said, Linda McCartney sausages I'll choose over normal ones! Lumps of Quorn formed into stuff which looks like a piece of meat I'm not sure about, but I'll eat it if it's offered to me... It's all pretty tasty actually!

I'm cool with vegetarians and vegans as long as they don't get all 'preachy' with me. I don't entirely agree with producing a living entity just to slaughter and eat, but eat we must - and we have evolved with those pointy teeth in the four corners of our mouths for a reason. We used to chase and catch them, now we do it the easy way..

Best of luck to all Veggies and Vegans on World Vegan Day. You are doing something you truly believe in, which harms nobody (as long as you don't get all cock about it..), and I cannot argue with that. :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I remember going into a veggie restaurant in Prague and discovered that the soup had bits of bacon in it. When we protested about it, we were told there was only a little bit and 90% of it was vegetable. Prague has changed a bit since then (this was 26 years ago) but by much

I had very similar in Brussels on New Years Eve 1999. I was also asked "You do eat foie gras, don't you?" on the same trip.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I had two beefburgers, 4 poached eggs, beans and 8 hashbrowns for brunch. Vegans are weird.

FOUR eggs and EIGHT hashbrowns ?? Wow ..... impressive ..... as I'm sure your girth is too !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
FOUR eggs and EIGHT hashbrowns ?? Wow ..... impressive ..... as I'm sure your girth is too !

Very occasionally I'll have a monster breakfast. I have just finished 7 nights on the run and now have two weeks off so it was a rare blow out to celebrate. I took a photo but it won't load on here. I'm 6' tall, 33 waist and weigh about 12.5 stone so I reckon I'm about right on. I felt like a beached whale after though!

Oct 25, 2003
You missed the riduculous Vegan protest at Tesco Church Road the other weekend then ? Blocking the meat isle so people couldn't get to the meat. Alledgedly it was a silent protest so some of them taped their mouths up ...... ignoring the utter prat on the megaphone demonising meat :facepalm:

Yes I did miss it- I don’t shop at Tesco’s

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't have meat because I don't believe animals need to be killed in order for me to eat.

You eat them ALIVE? Sick *******.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have just enjoyed a sirloin steak, fried egg, tomatoes, mushrooms, peas and chips.

"Vegan Day" always seems to pass me by!!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The planning hasn't been brilliant though ..... World Vegan Day being held in National Sausage Week :facepalm:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I have my eye on a very big pitta with TWO veggie burgers within it tonight. Some olive oil, and away I'll munch. I plan to be asleep by 9.15pm.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The whole concept is weird. A vegan doesn't want to eat meat so I don't understand why they'd eat something pretending to be meat.

It's like getting served a pork sausage and being told it's a "carnivore cucumber".

I agree. We're about 90% veggie at home but all our veggie meals are 'proper' vegetarian food, not stuff pretending to be meat. If I want minced beef then I'll buy minced beef, not some shaped pieces of mutated fungus. That Quorn stuff is awful, and the Linda McCartney products are inedible.

However, like music, beer, comedy, etc it's all down to personal taste.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Ha! Yes, I've had that in Germany with ham. They looked quite surprised when we told them that vegetarian food shouldn't have ANY meat in it

Not sure if I got this story from here, or whether someone else told it to me, but somebody had an interesting experience in China. They went to a restaurant and said they were veggie, eventually getting them to understand that meant that they didn't eat meat. When their food arrived it was simply a bowl of bones and chicken beaks. When they complained the waiter said: "But there is absolutely no meat there!"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Went to Casa Don Carlos. Had kidneys, rabbit, mussels, chicken and sausage. Fairly sure none of it was vegan.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
From my personal experience the vast majority of vegetarians I know do it for health and/or environmental reasons. The best thing about this approach is it heads of that tiresome “but you’re wearing leather shoes” quip.

Personally, I eat meat but believe the whole animal should be eaten so I’m into offal restaurants. I always consider the provenance and welfare of the meat. I am also completely happy going to vege restaurants/cafes and one of my favourite dishes is vege.

Oh, and to answer the question....left over chilli concarne from yesterday.
Yeah, I agree with you. However the one thing that pisses me off with veggies and vegans is when someone has gone to the trouble of cooking them a meal and they push it away because they don't like the ingredients and they expected their hosts to have catered for their dietary foibles. This has never happened to me, (and most of us do respect veggies), but I'd be really tempted to shove their plate back in front of them and say "****ing eat it you ungrateful **** and stick your First World vanities up your arse."

To steal a quote from Big Bang Theory:
Leonard: "Hope you're hungry!"
Sheldon: "Interesting. A friendly sentiment in this country, a cruel taunt in the Sudan."

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
To start with I am wearing leather shoes and have leather belt and a leather watch strap so have already missed out on World Vegan day.

I have had milk in numerous drinks and had a couple of toasted cheese muffins at lunchtime, and for dinner will be eating chicken, with potatoes and veg, so I am fully embracing the day.

If you want to be Vegan fine, but why is there a need for a Vegan Day. When is it World Rhubarb Crumble and Custard day?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here