Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are we gonna do about Richards?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
His loan is about to expire, which has kind of caught me by surprise a little bit as I'd started to think of him as our player, he's been here so long.

He's been an ever-present as far as I can recall this season although the performances I've seen haven't been great and popular opinion on here would seem to back up the fact that he's been disappointing.

Problem is of course that there's NOBODY else to fill his place and if he goes I don't want Virgo being crowbarred into his position for lack of any better options.

When Richards first arrived fans were delighted to have him in and many on here declared him to be the best left back we'd had at the club for many a year. Now clearly his performance has dropped this season but are we just expecting too much of him now we've gotten used to him being in the side? Does anyone really think that Kerry Mayo would be no worse?

So what're the options? Another loan? Sign him permanently for a small fee? Or search for somebody new altogether?

I must admit I am undecided myself.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wait until 12 hours before he's due to go back and then start negotiations with Ipswich about keeping him on and act all suprised that there is a delay in getting him back? This is what we did last time I believe? Mind you if we f*** up this Jan's transfer window like we did the last one we're gonna be going down anyway.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Shouldnt of realesed Rents, Still think the boy would of done a better Job, although im sure plenty on here wouldnt agree.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
He's been doing alright at Crawley but surely if he were head and shoulders above the rest of the team we'd know about it. And ultimately we don't want players who are only alright in the Blue Square Prem

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ultimately I hope the we sign Richards permanently. I would only have kept Rents as back up and to see if he devloped more and became a bit stronger in the tackle.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ultimately I hope the we sign Richards permanently.

Same here. He's had the odd stinker of a game, but fewer than most. Generally a cool head and a decent level of skill. Get the feeling he likes it here. Plus a bit of insurance for the forthcoming penaly shootouts :thumbsup:

woody257

Jun 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope we do sign Richards on permanant. He's not the best left back but he does a good enough job. Also I'm not sure whether there's a better LB around to sign

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
How do you solve a problem like Matt Richards?
Many a thing you really want to tell him,
Many a thing he ought to understand
But how do you make him play?
Defend in the right way?
Why is it him and Whing aren't playing grand?

(sorry, I'm BORED)

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Sign someone better, or get Lynch back. Infact I'd rather have El-abd at left back than Richards. At least a tackle would be made.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Sign him or extend his loan to end of season. Would think he will not cost much and is probably as good as any LB in this division. Yes he makes mistakes but his attacking play is a bonus.
Much rather we spend big money (by our standards) on a creative midfielder and another forward.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
sign him up or pray that Adams has some one of similar standard ready to step in at short notice. Going by past form left backs are a bit rare so don't fancy the second option

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sign someone better, or get Lynch back. Infact I'd rather have El-abd at left back than Richards. At least a tackle would be made.

Lynch is a SHIT left back, and I won't even dignify the suggestion of El Abd with a response.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Lets face it, there aren't many players who have played consistently well this season, but Richards seems to have fewer bad games than most and I wouldn't consider him to be a liability like I would Mayo.

Sign him up!!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sign him... we need a lb!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I agree I would have kept Rents but didnt he fall out with Wilkins.

Who knows?

All we know is that when Wilkins released both him and Mayo, you assume he must have had left backs as a priority for his summer strenghening.

Of course as we know now, he couldn't implement his plans so we don't know who he may have had in mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here