Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are Peoples Problems With The GB Football Team at the Olympics?

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
people say it has no place in the Olympics, fact is its the longest running football comp going.

I think it will be good we dont stand a chance but will be good to see us representing in most if not all sports in the Olympics

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because if we play a Team GB, the rest of the world will ask why we don't do that all the time.

This would then stop us from having 4 seats at the FIFA top table.
This will also stop us having 4 times the amount of 'suits'.
This would then lessen our grip on world football politics.
This would be disaster and would stop us getting all the decisions going our way.
This would also strengthen our nation team.
This would mean we'd probably be a world force, instead of barely qualifying.

So obviously it would be an absolute travesty if we team GB'ed it.

Esp if your an over stuffed suit.

Oct 25, 2003
people say it has no place in the Olympics, fact is its the longest running football comp going.

I think it will be good we dont stand a chance but will be good to see us representing in most if not all sports in the Olympics

we're entering every sport this year...........they were openly recruiting for handball as we didn't have a team before....i was too short :(

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I going to be at the first GB football match. I cannot wait!

I'd personally be in favour of us having a GB team competing in the Euros and WC.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
What are they? Whats the problem?

It's a broad question.

On a personal note, couldn't give a toss about Olympic football. The real deal is only 2 weeks away.

On a political note, countries like Scotland don't trust FIFA when they say it won't make a difference to their international position. I don't blame them (Scotland).

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
IMHO.......if Beckham plays then that sums it up , joke of an event.
Personally I think any player from any home nation that plays for the GB team should be banned from playing for his birth country ever...... Harsh to some but for me fair.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Personally I think any player from any home nation that plays for the GB team should be banned from playing for his birth country ever...... Harsh to some but for me fair.

I understand the Becks bit but not your second point.

Why should they be banned?

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Because FIFA under Blatter would love to use it as a reason to getting rid of the individual teams. And in my opinion those players willing to play for team GB this summer are helping to make that end easier.

snedger

Jun 13, 2011
A team that will probably be picked with multi nation equanimity, rather than the best 11 from GB is not something that I could be proud of - and is that really the Olympic spirit/selection process - not picking your best "athletes"?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
A large group from work are going to the England game at the end of July. Travelling by train. I am going too but staying put in the pub whilst they watch the game and meeting up with them after. I know---- Freeloader.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Because FIFA under Blatter would love to use it as a reason to getting rid of the individual teams. And in my opinion those players willing to play for team GB this summer are helping to make that end easier.

even though his written to every FA and gone on national and international tv and radio saying this wont happen, so if they tried it legally they wouldnt have a leg to stand on i would think

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolutely. Thin end of the wedge. And Blatter has pledged it won't be like that - so it's a done deal then! Football shouldn't be in the Olympics, anyway - the Olympics has become far too big, with this trying to include every 'sport' that has ever been heard of - darts, snooker, shove halfpenny and crib soon to be included no doubt'

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
even though his written to every FA and gone on national and international tv and radio saying this wont happen, so if they tried it legally they wouldnt have a leg to stand on i would think

Since when has Blatter worried about any laws or legal action , I don't think they ( he ) would make a sudden decision more a drip,drip wearing down.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...

A ridiculous statement (not the becks bit). Why should someone be banned just because they want to represent their nation? It is an opportunity for some young players to get much needed international experience while the old crap are clogging up our real squad. Can't see why anyone wouldn't want to be in the Olympics myself.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As others have said because FIFA do not agree with each of our home countries entering the World cup individually and would love to use it as a lever to make us just enter 1 GB team.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yet nations pick and chose if they want to compete in it.

as said, football doesnt need to be at the Olympics, it has its elite event in the World Cup. then theres the professionalism aspect, i dont think there should be any other professional sports at Olympics either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here