Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What are our left back options now?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Albion boss ready to put his faith in Calderon

Albion boss Chris Hughton has backed Inigo Calderon to be an able deputy for the stricken Liam Rosenior.

Calderon is set for a run in the defence throughout a key December for the table-topping Seagulls.

Rosenior is sidelined by right knee damage sustained in Saturday’s 2-1 win against Birmingham at the Amex and first-choice left-back Gaetan Bong (thigh) is out until January.

Hughton has faith in long-serving Calderon, better-known as a right-back or right-midfielder, filling in.

“I think you have to,” Hughton told The Argus. “It’s not as if he hasn’t played there before. Certainly in Calde we’ve got somebody who can adjust to that position.

“It just leaves us a little bit light defensively, so we’re certainly going to have to look after the players we’ve got in that position.

“Gaetan is in good shape at the moment. His recovery has been quite good but we’re still waiting a while.”

The only obvious alternative at left-back to Calderon is Adam Chicksen, who has not featured under Hughton since his first match in charge in January, as Albion prepare for a six-match December which includes games against their nearest pursuers, Middlesbrough and Derby.

Connor Goldson was on the bench as centre-half cover against Birmingham rather than Uwe Huenemeier, who was scheduled to start in the previous game at Burnley until withdrawing with an ankle injury.

Hughton explained: “I made up my mind I was going for the same team and, that being the case, I didn’t want to take a chance with him (Huenemeier).

“If I needed him to start he could have started, no problem, but I thought I would just give him an extra week and certainly with the defensive problems we’ve got I’m glad I did that now. Although it’s a different position it’s a defensive position.”

Albion could stretch their unbeaten sequence to 19 games at home to Charlton on Saturday. That would equal the record 19-match start in the Championship of QPR in 2010-11 since it was rebranded six seasons earlier.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Guilty as charged I must admit I WAS in the past prone to posting 'facts' to cause controversy and discussion but those days are now gone, I cant be bothered anymore. There will no doubt be other examples forthcoming at some time in the future.

That's the game / risk that you play / take when making statements of fact that are, at the time, unfounded. To begin with people will think highly of you as someone either in the know or smart and know their stuff. Wow, a football scout, he must be in the know.

The danger is when you get a few [most] wrong and the perception changes to a know-nothing bull-shitter, no-one will ever believe another word you say, even if you happen, on occasion, to be correct. Credibility is blown and it is very rare that credibility can ever be recovered.

If you continue to post well intended facts, you must, unfortunately, with credibility lost, expect to continue to face ridicule :dunce:.

Posting just to be controversial will also fail once you get labelled as a:fishing:

Might have to do a "Yorkie"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's the game / risk that you play / take when making statements of fact that are, at the time, unfounded. To begin with people will think highly of you as someone either in the know or smart and know their stuff. Wow, a football scout, he must be in the know.

The danger is when you get a few [most] wrong and the perception changes to a know-nothing bull-shitter, no-one will ever believe another word you say, even if you happen, on occasion, to be correct. Credibility is blown and it is very rare that credibility can ever be recovered.

If you continue to post well intended facts, you must, unfortunately, with credibility lost, expect to continue to face ridicule :dunce:.

Posting just to be controversial will also fail once you get labelled as a:fishing:

Might have to do a "Yorkie"

I fully accept what you are saying and hindsight being what it is I shouldnt have gone down that road but at the time I thought it was funny. My general posts on players and tactics etc are just my opinion and obviously some will disagree but hopefully some will agree, as per Ashley Cole I think he could have done a job but as it happens he is not available but neither I nor many others knew that at the time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It seems our option is Calderon or no one. Oh well.

To be honest, CH and his team have got most things right this season, so I'm more than willing to put my faith in him. And Calde – he's not part of the match day squad just to make up the numbers, is he?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Love Caldreon (obviously), and feel for him being thrown in with little match time. The older you get the more minutes you need to be completely match fit. Going to take him a few games I think. Hope we can hold out on that side while he does.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not many negatives for been top of league however if were a safe mid table have no doubt Chickson, Goldson or youngster would be given a go.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would play Calderon at left back and perhaps look at playing March on the left and Van La Parre on the right as I think that would give us a left footed option and also IMHO Murphy hasnt been firing 100% recently possibly due to not receiving enough balls down the touchline since Bong has been out.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I would play Calderon at left back and perhaps look at playing March on the left and Van La Parre on the right as I think that would give us a left footed option and also IMHO Murphy hasnt been firing 100% recently possibly due to not receiving enough balls down the touchline since Bong has been out.

Less than 24hrs ago you were saying play Chicksen :moo:

Quote 'If CH was happy for that why not start Chicksen who is naturally left footed and could release the ball to Murphy down the line'

This was after we won 3-2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here