Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are Durrington / Worthing like as places to live?

Mar 12, 2008
West Worthing is fine apart from that bloody railway crossing!! Coming from the south.
you sit there for 15 minutes, 3 trains go by, the gates go up, the lights finally change in your favour, you start to move, you reach the track then some DICK wants to turn into pavilion rd. holding everyone up. The lights flash and the whole thing starts again :tantrum:
I drive miles out of my way to avoid that bloody thing.

Yep, that is the main downside I guess!

Jul 7, 2003
Lived in Worthing for a large part of my life. Some good, some bad, but generally very nice.

Nice parts to live - West Worthing, Goring, High Salvington, Findon, Offington, Broadwater, Tarring, Ferring

Not so nice - Durrington, East Worthing, Maybridge, Lower Salvington

Any specific questions?

I've been here virtually all my life so and lived in good and not so good bits. Giraffe's is a pretty fair review although there are parts of almost all the 'nice' parts you should avoid and also some parts of the 'not so nice' bits that are fine. For example the area of Goring directly either side of the railway is not so good (Goring Green to the north and the roads between Goring Road and the railway). Likewise, some areas of Tarring / West Worthing can be pretty ropey as can Ferring in the area near the green.

Lower Salvington can also be divided similarly - the bits around Cotswold Road are not good but generally the south of Salvington Road or east of Cleveland Road are fine.

There are a fair few of us on here who will give you a honest view of places if needed.

And unlike Brighton & Hove, the buses here don't go back to the garage when it gets a bit nippy outside:D

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Thanks for comments everyone. We're renting up in south east London atm, but are toying with the idea of moving back down to the south coast. And, as has been said by a number of people on here, you do seem to get a lot more for your money in the Worthing area, although the commute up into London seems to be an expensive arse.

We only have about £220K to spend, want a Victorian house, for me, Mrs ELS and two-year-old junior ELS. Your comments, Lush, were v interesting, thanks.

Tarring Road seems to have lots of houses for sale atm, at various prices - have seen a couple on Rightmove in Broadwater area, too...

Lush

Mods' Pet
Commute bit more expensive, but you have the advantage of ALWAYS getting a seat as you're on early (unlike say Hove). See it as an two hours and forty minutes every day (1hr 20 each way) ME TIME to read/play on laptop/listen to music.

PM me if you want any more specific details about the Tarring Road area. I know a bit about nursery/junior schools (eg Thomas A Becket good, but big) but someone else may have more up to date info.

Broadwater is a bit more of a yomp to the station/town/sea BTW.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Commute bit more expensive, but you have the advantage of ALWAYS getting a seat as you're on early (unlike say Hove). See it as an two hours and forty minutes every day (1hr 20 each way) ME TIME to read/play on laptop/listen to music.

PM me if you want any more specific details about the Tarring Road area. I know a bit about nursery/junior schools (eg Thomas A Becket good, but big) but someone else may have more up to date info.

Broadwater is a bit more of a yomp to the station/town/sea BTW.

Never had any issue from Hove tbh.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
I have lived in Worthing and specifically Durrington all my life. Not a bad place at all. There are a few dodgy social housing areas, but they are mainly west Durrington, and part of the problem there stems from Worthing Council taking on some of the dregs from Brighton & London Council's for which I understand they got a good bung.
Avoid those places and there are good properties around and streets to live in. You have the downs to the north, the sea to the south and the town only 3 miles away.
Don't be put off by some of these posts, Durrington covers a large area, you just need to avoid a few bits of it.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I live in North Goring,I think it is a fine area.would never really think about moving.In the summer Worthing/Goring/Ferring sea fronts are all very nice.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
West Worthing is fine apart from that bloody railway crossing!! Coming from the south.
you sit there for 15 minutes, 3 trains go by, the gates go up, the lights finally change in your favour, you start to move, you reach the track then some DICK wants to turn into pavilion rd. holding everyone up. The lights flash and the whole thing starts again :tantrum:
I drive miles out of my way to avoid that bloody thing.

Don't even get me started on that. I have lived on both sides of railway and probably spent a good couple of years of my life sat waiting for those gates to go up if you added up all the minutes!

The Herald did a survey a few years ago and found that the gates were down 60% of the time.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Worthing is some area's is well nice, Durrington however needs to be flattened and rebuilt, the area around Broadwater is good and easy access to main roads and trains

Precisely this - lived in Durrington for eight years and watched it get steadily worse as an area to live in, although Tesco seem to be doing their best re: flattening and rebuilding.

Tarring now, but if I had to move again I'd like to get a little closer to Broadwater.

Edited for fairness after reading other posts: OK, I meant West Durrington :)

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
TBF Durrington covers a vast area and is not all bad.The area around Tescos and the Maybridge are a bit scabby but there are some very pleasant parts.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I work in Durrington, firstly on the Causeway, now in Yeomans Way in Goring. I wouldn't in a million years live on any of the streets I drive through, nor send my child to the school at the top of the Causeway diagonally opposite the Registry office... Can't comment on any of the side streets though...

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I work in Durrington, firstly on the Causeway, now in Yeomans Way in Goring. I wouldn't in a million years live on any of the streets I drive through, nor send my child to the school at the top of the Causeway diagonally opposite the Registry office... Can't comment on any of the side streets though...

That would be Durrington High School and it is supposed to be highly rated.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Do you mean Durrington High at the top of The Boulevard....because apparently that's improved a lot recently (ie people are actually choosing to send their kids there :) ) ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here