Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are Andy Naylor/Brian Owen doing?

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
There is a legal process ongoing. How many more times FFS.

Nothing will be reported until that is resolved.

It is not in a court of law FFS. It is not sub judice. It is a simple internal investigation / witchhunt. The Vicente nonsense which supports the club position was alright to report - but the full story isn't ? Do me a favour. I just want to see proper balanced reporting of a story on their doorstep, and I'm well aware that local newspaper standards mean this will never happen.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
It is not in a court of law FFS. It is not sub judice. It is a simple internal investigation / witchhunt. The Vicente nonsense which supports the club position was alright to report - but the full story isn't ? Do me a favour. I just want to see proper balanced reporting of a story on their doorstep, and I'm well aware that local newspaper standards mean this will never happen.

It is not as easy as "make a name for yourselves doing some proper balanced reporting".

Look at what little information we know, the club are saying nothing, the three suspended employees are saying nothing, both sides are obviously under a legally binding gag order until investigations and issues are resolved one way or another.

So, if the Argus or any other news outlet reveals what is going on at this moment, one of the two sides will suffer as a consequence, which in turn would undoubtedly have an effect on financial settlements/compensation agreements, which would leave the organization that reported the news liable and wide open for legal action from either party.

Having worked at what was Southern Publishing then Newsquest Sussex for many years, I can guarantee you that the Editor is chomping at the bit to get the story out there, this kind of dramatic story is what news reporting is built on and will sell papers, I would even go as far as to suggest that the guts of the story is already written, and sent to Gannetts top lawyers for clearance, as and when the story is ready for publishing.

Naylor/Owen and all on the news and sports desks are well ahead of the rest of us due to relationships already built with individuals and the club alike. They, unlike the rest of us, have strict legal guidelines to operate under....do you not think it is weird that newspapers such as the Sun/Mirror/Star etc have not revealed any information either?

Reporting this issue is a legal time bomb, Newspapers are suffering more than any other media outlet, one poor decision from an Editor and the door closing for ever will come quicker than the slow death that has hit the Argus over the last 20 years.

When I started at North Road in the mid 80’s there was a staff of 600, selling around 100,000 copies a day, I left in 2000, the number of staff was down to around 200. Circulation had dropped to 35,000, and the internet was destroying printed media quickly. I can only imagine what the circulation of the Argus is these days, and as most know the cuts made at Newsquest Sussex have led to having no print site in Brighton and the ludicrous action of moving the Sub Editors jobs to Southampton.

Treading carefully around stories such as this is the only option they can follow. It is not spineless reporting, it is a sensible business decision.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Sorry I don't buy it. The Argus printed Vicente's opinion that Gus Poyet "is the worst person I have met in football". That wasn't designed to damage the image of Poyet publicly ? It was picked up by sports news pages and broadcasts around the country. Seems utterly prejudicial to me.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Quoting an individual is not breaking the law, in an interview such as Vicente's all they have done is printed another mans opinion, if Gus feels he has been a victim of liable, he can sue Vicente using the evidence printed by the Argus, but not the Argus for printing it, the "Suspension investigation" has legal implications over and above a grumpy ex employee...in the eyes of the Argus, the Vicente story is a gap filler, supplying what little they can to an eagerly waiting audience.

I imagine Vicente knows full well why the Gus, Tanno and Oatway have been suspended, but sensibly chose not to talk about it in public, any incident in a regular workplace spreads around the office like wildfire, a close nit dressing room is no different. Most employees, all the players and their cohorts know what has happened, but they also know that legally they will be taken to the cleaners if they are the ones found to be going public during this suspension.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Maybe Naylor has gone into hiding with embarrassment over his rather pathetic 'Jedinak to Brighton' story that he broke on the eve of the 2-0 humiliation. It was a complete fabricated story that was purely written with the sole intention of disrupting our inspirational captain but one that completely backed fired as he went on to boss Bridcutt from the first minute to the last in an immense performance, proving he is by far the best holding midfielder in the Championship. Let's be honest, there is more chance of you signing R2D2 from Return of the Jedi, Mile will either be leading Palace out in the Premiership next season or sign for a mid table Prem side if we don't go up.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here