Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What an MBA student would say

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Business owners make business decisions based on facts. Tony Bloom has all of the facts and most on here don't have any or only very few. That's why I am keeping my powder dry and trusting the man making the decisions who has the facts rather than those on here who know very little

Agreed, with knobs on!

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
What ? They have the Premiership money this season and for a few more. Players want to play in the Premiership. What is daunting about that ?

No easy task. Really ?

You can't make a comparison between recruitment in the Premiership and the Championship (without parachute money).

The absolutely key issue is how much money Tony Bloom can afford to put into the club. He is unlikely to share that with us! If he has not got the firepower to buy his way into the premiership he has three choices - sell the club; accept a limited ambition as a championship club and plan accordingly; or try and do it the long way by developing home grown cheaper players. The trouble with the last choice is that any good players will always be tempted away by Premiership clubs. I bet he is evaluating these choices all the time and especially perhaps at the moment with the experience of Ulloa Upson Ward and Buckley

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hi guys
I have been a season ticket holder most of my life and am shocked at the decision making currently at the club.
From a business perspective, it is terribly short-sighted for three reasons:
1. Financial Fair Play is a classic prisoners dilemma. It only works when you have cooperation across all clubs. When we are seemingly the only top-end Championship club overtly complying, it gives all our competitors a huge advantage in buying players and pushing for the Premier League.
2. It has a huge impact on player recruitment, evidenced by Ward and Burnley. If we are seen to be penny-pinching it makes negotiations longer winded and vulnerable to last minute grabs, a la Burnley. Ward will have set the perfect blueprint for future targets.
3. It affects the morale of the fans who pay a large proportion of their disposable income to watch the Albion. Yes - we care about the long term but there is no future if the present feels so precarious.

The above are a vicious circle as the worse we play on the pitch (due to competition being stronger (1) and our weakness in the playing squad (2)), the crowds will decrease (3) which then means less money that worsens (1) and (2) and then (3).

I am surprised that we are being so long term when it is the short term that in some way guarantees the long term.

Just want to point out that I am not prematurely wetting the bed - it just doesn't add up from a rational business perspective which is what I'd have thought is driving the three B's thinking.

Absolute nonsense. An MBA student looking at the Albion would see that income is nowhere matching costs and would recommend reducing staffing costs immediately. He would say that a business that can't operate without injections of cash from an owner is ultimately non-viable - start-ups can operate like that for a while but not 113-year-old businesses. If McKinsey consultants were let loose at the Amex we'd probably see a few more players out of the door and prices raised everywhere (which is why we should always take MBAs' comments with a pinch of salt)

I also dispute one of your tenets - that we are the only top-half Championship club complying with FFP. Derby certainly are and I suspect Ipswich are too. I don't know enough about all the teams but I'd surprised if they were the only ones.

It goes to show that you can't apply business decisions to football

I also

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Why does everybody spout this 'we are the only club complying at the top end of the Championship boll*cks?'

A brief look at the most recent figures shows Derby's losses at around HALF of our figure, Burnley had far lower losses, Palace when they went up, etc.

It's a very ignorant view.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Assumption time !

When we are owed buckets of dosh from other clubs for their FFP irregularities and they can't pay [coz its all been spent on players] can we send in the bailiffs and grab a couple of players [club owned assets] to settle the debt?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here