Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What about this for a solution to this year's football

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As we all know. Many teams don't want this season to end because they are either chasing Promotion to the division above. Or European places.

Others want it declared Null and void because they have the possibility of being relegated to a lower division.

Given that we now know that this Pandemic could run for 3 to 6 months and beyond. So rather than Rush to play games behind closed doors in the coming months and risking the health of players and workers needed to get games played.

What if we were to cancel next seasons Football altogether and use next season or what would be left of it to finish this year's football season at a leisurely pace ?

Your thoughts ?

not enough ££££££££££££££s

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
As we all know. Many teams don't want this season to end because they are either chasing Promotion to the division above. Or European places.

Others want it declared Null and void because they have the possibility of being relegated to a lower division.

Given that we now know that this Pandemic could run for 3 to 6 months and beyond. So rather than Rush to play games behind closed doors in the coming months and risking the health of players and workers needed to get games played.

What if we were to cancel next seasons Football altogether and use next season or what would be left of it to finish this year's football season at a leisurely pace ?

Your thoughts ?

As much as I hate the idea, regardless of our position, I think next season is in real doubt already. The way things are going I suspect it's highly unlikely we'll get a full season in for 2020/21 so it might be that the end of this season will indeed be played out in part of the following season's time frame. I don't want this to happen but we can't have a situation come August where this current season hasn't been completed and season 2020/21 gets delayed and delayed further (especially with Euro 2020 now being scheduled for summer 2021).

Let's hope it doesn't come to that but in all honestly it wouldn't be a surprise if your thoughts became a reality.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm more of the opinion that once the lockdown is in place and you hopefully got the Chinese development rather than the Italian, footballers should be the first to be let out.

They could provide some probably much needed entertainment and relief in the presumed last weeks of a lockdown and if theres a backlash - "nope, still too much virus" - it would be detected in these young, healthy athletes.

Should add that this is more of a wild thought than a real suggestion.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm more of the opinion that once the lockdown is in place and you hopefully got the Chinese development rather than the Italian, footballers should be the first to be let out.

They could provide some probably much needed entertainment and relief in the presumed last weeks of a lockdown and if theres a backlash - "nope, still too much virus" - it would be detected in these young, healthy athletes.

Should add that this is more of a wild thought than a real suggestion.

LOL . Your last paragraph saved your bacon on that suggestion of "Let's use Footballers as Guinea Pigs"

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If we don't start football again until Nov/Dec 2020 (or later) I think that is what will happen.

A start before then and 19/20 will be voided and a full 20/21 season will be run. (They wouldn't announce 19/20 as void until they are just about to start 20/21).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Your thoughts ?
Two main thoughts:

1) We don't know how to solve the issue of clubs earning money (TV rights, gate receipts) and paying their players.

2) We have no idea how much football will be able to be played over the next 18 months.

For point 2, perhaps we should finish the last 9 games of this season, with relegations and promotions, whenever it's practical to do so. Once that's done, we'll have a much better idea of how much time there is available for the following season, and an alternative plan can be put in place then.

I don't know how we can solve point 1.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Way too early to make any decisions regarding 2020/21. Would like to see the 2019/20 season completed eventually, but don’t know how this will work with players’ contracts ending on 30 June and UEFA pushing for 30 June completion.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Two main thoughts:

1) We don't know how to solve the issue of clubs earning money (TV rights, gate receipts) and paying their players.

2) We have no idea how much football will be able to be played over the next 18 months.

For point 2, perhaps we should finish the last 9 games of this season, with relegations and promotions, whenever it's practical to do so. Once that's done, we'll have a much better idea of how much time there is available for the following season, and an alternative plan can be put in place then.

I don't know how we can solve point 1.

Indeed going to be interesting to see this solution.

As I wrote somewhere before I think the clubs, the TV companies and the government will all need to sacrifice a bit.

The Premier League is probably too important for both the TV companies and the UK government to allow it to collapse. It needs to be bailed out somehow.

Obviously signing players for £100m is probably going to be a quite dead concept for a while and I could see the quality of academies playing a huge part in football next season (whenever that is), and any signings could probably just dream of the pre-corona wages.

But they'll save the PL somehow. I think clubs in the lower divisions got more to worry about. Highly speculative of course, but wouldnt surprise me if L1 & L2 went semi-professional for a while.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Simple ! Just need to play some summer football.

2020 - finish 19/20 season.
2021 - Play Season from Jan - Nov, with summer break for Euros.
2022 - Play Season Feb - Nov - then Qatar World Cup in Dec.
2023 - Play Season Jan - Sept
2023/2024 - Play season Nov 2023 - June 2024 - Euros in Summer
2024/2025 - Back to normal

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Simple ! Just need to play some summer football.

2020 - finish 19/20 season.
2021 - Play Season from Jan - Nov, with summer break for Euros.
2022 - Play Season Feb - Nov - then Qatar World Cup in Dec.
2023 - Play Season Jan - Sept
2023/2024 - Play season Nov 2023 - June 2024 - Euros in Summer
2024/2025 - Back to normal

My proposal gets you back to normal within a year.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't see a good solution, but we cannot have teams not knowing if they will be relegated or not after June/July.

Harsh financial decisions may have to be made, and relegation / survival certainty will need to be established by then.

I can see some PL teams going under tbh.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
No the contracts don't need to be fulfilled.

My company are not fulfilling mine at the moment. They are currently losing half a million pounds per month at the moment. And because of this they are only paying 80% of my salary from next month.

Football Clubs and TV Companies will need to follow a similar route in the coming year.

Right, they will have to compromise.

The compromise is MUCH more likely to be: squeeze-in matches and axe cup games, than wipe an entire season imo.

Paddington Gal

May 7, 2013

Your thoughts ?
I think between now and the next 2 seasons we will have to lose a season.

We will probably lose a minimum 3 month's this season (a good chance it could be longer)

Next season late start (Euros to fit in)

Following season disrupted at least 2 months for World cup in ridiculous Qatar
Minimum 5 months lost to club football anyway

Accept the loss of a season, manage the end of this season whenever possible, stagger the next season. We could possibly fit in some extra time to prepare for the next 2 International tournaments with fitter healthier players.
Obviously there is the downside (players out of contract for example, people don't give a monkey's about Internationals etc) but something has to give.

MONEY
The whole country/world are having to go without in these times of need. Why should football clubs/players/FIFA/UEFA/Sky/BT not take a hit in these troubled times.

We're all in this together

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
MONEY
The whole country/world are having to go without in these times of need. Why should football clubs/players/FIFA/UEFA/Sky/BT not take a hit in these troubled times.

We're all in this together
Absolutely ............................. although I very much doubt if FIFA/UEFA/Sky/BT will see it that way!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
On a different point.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the FA cup special on BBC today.
What a different game it was in the 90s.

I had forgotten that Waddle played for the Massive. What a game he had!

And Pompey beating Manure after them missing loads of chances. Arry was great aftermatch.
"We hadn't won at Villa for 200 years" lol

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Start next season as and when.
Bin FA Cup, League Cup and Internationals.
Make Champions and Europa Leagues straight knockouts for one season only.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here