Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What a strange, strange season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Reminds me slightly of the season we stayed up in the 08/09 season. All the results seemed to go our way just when we needed them to. The final game was a lot more plain sailing than it looked only a few games before.

I will take that this time round :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's all going to come crashing down next week as my friend who never sees us win comes to watch us play blackpool, then we are cursed by our game being televised v yeovil. Points dropped, binfests resumed. Arrogant Play off threads will be blamed, but TV and my friend will be mostly to blame. I apologise.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
so 45% of games they haven't lost, makes it sound a little tougher.
If you need to look for a struggle in two home games, that we MUST win, against two teams who are statistically worse than Charlton, then so be it.

There really is no excuse for not getting 6 points and a play off position by 21:45 on Friday.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
We all want it but do the players? We always hear from the players that all players want to play in the premiership so if that is the case then we're in pole position with the easiest run in bar Forest away so if we don't make the play offs then the players have only themselves to blame and if they don't make it then they aren't good enough to grace the prem.
Credit to you for a very measured response.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it? If Watford win their game in hand they're 2 points behind us, which is another threat.
Given we're fighting for one place, I'd rather have 2 weak threats than one strong one. I'd rather Ipswich on 64 points and Watford on 63 (even if they win their game in hand) than Ipswich on 65 points.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The prospect of playing Forest seams daunting again. I think they'll have an outside chance by then (2/3 points off in 9th or something), which means we'll not get a bigger allocation, and we'll face a harder match.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
They've got Derby and Burnley away. I can't see them winning both those games

Both are slowly slipping. Burnley have been slipping in recent games, and they'll feel they're already up. Can't argue with Derby but Watford are certainly starting to pick results up where others have dropped them.

Given we're fighting for one place, I'd rather have 2 weak threats than one strong one. I'd rather Ipswich on 64 points and Watford on 63 (even if they win their game in hand) than Ipswich on 65 points.

2 weak threats? I would say anyone from 6-12 have a chance of getting that last spot. We have to be at our best for the next few games, one slip up and that might be it. Either way, Forest away is going to be huge now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 weak threats? I would say anyone from 6-12 have a chance of getting that last spot. We have to be at our best for the next few games, one slip up and that might be it. Either way, Forest away is going to be huge now.
Not everyone from 6-12 are playing 2 of the bottom 3 teams, next.

We have 7 goals on Forest and the opportunity to increase that, still further.

Bournemouth and Ipswich are done.

Watford need to win at QPR and Derby.
Blackburn must be looking at easy points dropped through the season and be kicking themselves.

It's us and Reading, whom we are currently a point ahead of.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
2 weak threats? I would say anyone from 6-12 have a chance of getting that last spot.
We were just talking about the Watford Ipswich result (not the other threats) - I'd rather they were both still in it, a few points behind, than only one of them in it, but level on points. Watford winning was the best result for us. This is confirmed by the changes to the Top 6 finish odds: http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/top-6-finish
The odds of us making it have shortened, and the odds of Watford making it are still longer than Ipswich, despite the result.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Not everyone from 6-12 are playing 2 of the bottom 3 teams, next.

We have 7 goals on Forest and the opportunity to increase that, still further.

Bournemouth and Ipswich are done.

Watford need to win at QPR and Derby.
Blackburn must be looking at easy points dropped through the season and be kicking themselves.

It's us and Reading, whom we are currently a point ahead of.

Playing the teams at the bottom could be seen as a disadvantage, they're fighting for their lives, whilst QPR and Derby are definitely in the playoffs so haven't got much to play for apart from placings. You really can't count anyone out as this league has proven time and time again that surprises happen, and that anyone can beat anyone. I think by Monday evening we'll have a slightly clearer picture who's in there.

We were just talking about the Watford Ipswich result (not the other threats) - I'd rather they were both still in it, a few points behind, than only one of them in it, but level on points. Watford winning was the best result for us. This is confirmed by the changes to the Top 6 finish odds: http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/top-6-finish
The odds of us making it have shortened, and the odds of Watford making it are still longer than Ipswich, despite the result.

Like I said above, this league has so many surprises and has shown anyone can beat anyone. Of course they are, they're lower in the league than Ipswich. But two decent results against Derby and QPR and they're right up there, added with their game in hand away to Charlton. Not saying they're going to do it, but they are a threat regardless.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Playing the teams at the bottom could be seen as a disadvantage, they're fighting for their lives, whilst QPR and Derby are definitely in the playoffs so haven't got much to play for apart from placings. You really can't count anyone out as this league has proven time and time again that surprises happen, and that anyone can beat anyone. I think by Monday evening we'll have a slightly clearer picture who's in there.

I'm sorry but I just can't even begin to agree with that.

The fixture fairy has handed us a play-off place.
If this team are not able to take it by Friday night, then they should be ashamed of themselves, and never show their faces again.

All this 'any team can beat anyone' bollox is just that.
Blackpool and Yeovil have had a damn sight easier fixtures than Brighton away to secure their fate, and haven't taken any of them.
Why should now be any different?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Like I said above, this league has so many surprises and has shown anyone can beat anyone. Of course they are, they're lower in the league than Ipswich. But two decent results against Derby and QPR and they're right up there, added with their game in hand away to Charlton. Not saying they're going to do it, but they are a threat regardless.
Of course they're a threat, but they're less of a threat than Ipswich, so Watford winning today was the best result for us. It's not rocket science.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I'm sorry but I just can't even begin to agree with that.

The fixture fairy has handed us a play-off place.
If this team are not able to take it by Friday night, then they should be ashamed of themselves, and never show their faces again.

All this 'any team can beat anyone' bollox is just that.
Blackpool and Yeovil have had a damn sight easier fixtures than Brighton away to secure their fate, and haven't taken any of them.
Why should now be any different?

I'm not saying that we don't have better fixtures than the other teams. We have a great opportunity to get in the playoffs, but we actually have to take it. Do remember that Barnsley came and nicked 3 points off of us this season. If we win both games come next Saturday I will hold my hands up and say, yep, fair play, I was wrong. But the games aren't won yet. Yeovil got a draw at Blackburn and Wigan, they drew against Bournemouth, they got a draw away at Leicester, before they were up and conceded a last minute goal. Yeovil are hugely underestimated in this league. I expect us to beat Blackpool, but Yeovil will be a very tough task.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was talking to a mate last night, who is a Derby fan. And if you asked me, I'd say I was disappointed with this season, in terms of results, performances etc. Yet we are still in the play offs with destiny in our hands. Clearly there have been a lot better, more consistent teams this year, than last, which has affected this, but it still feels a bit weird.

I'd actually be worried we'd get turned over in the play offs by any of the other teams currently in there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not saying that we don't have better fixtures than the other teams. We have a great opportunity to get in the playoffs, but we actually have to take it. Do remember that Barnsley came and nicked 3 points off of us this season. If we win both games come next Saturday I will hold my hands up and say, yep, fair play, I was wrong. But the games aren't won yet. Yeovil got a draw at Blackburn and Wigan, they drew against Bournemouth, they got a draw away at Leicester, before they were up and conceded a last minute goal. Yeovil are hugely underestimated in this league. I expect us to beat Blackpool, but Yeovil will be a very tough task.
My bravado hasn't blinded me from the possibility of us not getting any more points and finishing mid-table.

The point is failure to beat Blackpool and Yeovil, at home, would have to go down as one of the clubs greatest failures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here