Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We've come a long long way together

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A glimpse at the Prem table at the end of 2009 shows how transient life in the Prem can be.

Apart from the Big 6 only Everton, West Ham, Wolves, Villa and - remarkably - Burnley are there a decade later.

Of the other 9 we have Championship clubs Birmingham, Fulham, Stoke, Blackburn, Hull and Wigan plus 3 basket cases - Sunderland, Bolton and Pompey.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Corrected for you :thumbsup:

"Without Tony Bloom this is not possible!!!"

Corrected for you. "Without Dick Knight, Martin Perry and the Albion fanbase this is not possible" Any half-shrewd businessman with the funds to transcend the financial crisis could have stepped in at that point. Fortunately we had a local lad with exceedingly deep pockets. Doesn't make the subsequent club marginalisation of Dick Knight any less shameful tho eh? Lest we forget: DICK KNIGHT, MARTIN PERRY AND THE ALBION FANBASE SAVED THE CLUB

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A glimpse at the Prem table at the end of 2009 shows how transient life in the Prem can be.

Apart from the Big 6 only Everton, West Ham, Wolves, Villa and - remarkably - Burnley are there a decade later.

Of the other 9 we have Championship clubs Birmingham, Fulham, Stoke, Blackburn, Hull and Wigan plus 3 basket cases - Sunderland, Bolton and Pompey.

Also interesting to look at the Championship table where nearly every club has been in the PL at some point. Some seem very far from ever doing that again now but such is the mentalism of the division, you never know.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Also interesting to look at the Championship table where nearly every club has been in the PL at some point. Some seem very far from ever doing that again now but such is the mentalism of the division, you never know.

Yep, teams like West Brom, Norwich, Burnley, Southampton, Watford tend to reign it in so that if they drop they're in a position to challenge straight away. I think Albion have taken this on board, and we have loanees and Under-23s ready to step in if the unthinkable happened this season and we got relegated.

It is reassuring to know we have the likes of Connolly, Baluta, Molumby, White and Walton to replace Maupay, Propper, Mooy, Dunk and Ryan, and if you throw in McAllister, Tau and parachute payment money then we're in a good place.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I hope not as I like GOSBTS played loud and proud after we have just won the game. That is our song.

Perhaps Attila could do a fusion re-mix?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Corrected for you. "Without Dick Knight, Martin Perry and the Albion fanbase this is not possible" Any half-shrewd businessman with the funds to transcend the financial crisis could have stepped in at that point. Fortunately we had a local lad with exceedingly deep pockets. Doesn't make the subsequent club marginalisation of Dick Knight any less shameful tho eh? Lest we forget: DICK KNIGHT, MARTIN PERRY AND THE ALBION FANBASE SAVED THE CLUB

Fact.

With some other backers, who also put in 6 and 7 figure sums of personal money to subsidise huge losses over about 10 years. Norman Cook obviously one, the Friday-Ad owner another.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Yep, teams like West Brom, Norwich, Burnley, Southampton, Watford tend to reign it in so that if they drop they're in a position to challenge straight away. I think Albion have taken this on board, and we have loanees and Under-23s ready to step in if the unthinkable happened this season and we got relegated.

It is reassuring to know we have the likes of Connolly, Baluta, Molumby, White and Walton to replace Maupay, Propper, Mooy, Dunk and Ryan, and if you throw in McAllister, Tau and parachute payment money then we're in a good place.

This is interesting isn't it. Many of us thought that the PL would almost become a closed shop - and certainly 15 years ago I never imagined we'd be in it. Yet what this shows is that it's not. And even some of the ones you mention as 'there a decade later' haven't been ever-present, having dropped and come back up again.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Absolutely.... and all of us have come a long way together!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
To this day I don't know why 'Praise You' isn't one of our chants.

Imagine the thread title being belted out by four sides of the ground.

Seem to remember it was sung as "I have to praise you Tony Bloom" during the promotion season.

Am I making that up?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nobody cares or wants to hear about about your ignore list.

Thanks for commenting, yet again, on something about which you have no interest. :mad:

Why not stick with the stuff about which you do have a keen interest, not to say an enormous amount of expertise, such as why we are finished under Potter? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This. :wave:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Thanks for that. I have to say that I really miss the commentary of Cantor and Aspinall now that every game can be streamed live

I spilled a pint of cider over my laptop so I've been enjoying them again for the last month or so.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is interesting isn't it. Many of us thought that the PL would almost become a closed shop - and certainly 15 years ago I never imagined we'd be in it. Yet what this shows is that it's not. And even some of the ones you mention as 'there a decade later' haven't been ever-present, having dropped and come back up again.

The threat of a closed shop in the past was partly due to talk of abolishing promotion and relegation (Phil Gartside?), of inviting Celtic and Rangers in. Now the Premier League has settled down, but it is counter-intuitive that with larger payments from TV and larger parachute payments other teams without these resources still manage to break into the Prem.

If, say, Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich were to get relegated then I think all three would be extremely well-placed to bounce back, as would we, Burnley and Southampton. Leeds have the ability to come up and stay up, while West Brom are a well-run club that are unlikely to spunk money, so that fight for the third spot could be the last opportunity for a number of clubs to grab a Prem spot.

Anyway, I digress. Under Potter we are moving into unchartered waters when it comes to expectations, but what is encouraging is that so far we've hung on to our stars and haven't become a selling clubs. A mid-table finish will raise those expectations and the big clubs will come sniffing for our better players, so I hope the club are ready.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Fabulous video!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

All of which is true, but this is about the past decade from December 2009. TB had taken over the previous March.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here