Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wetherspoons

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I'd rather pay the extra and enjoy a nice atmosphere. I don't go into pubs much these days so when I do I like it to be top notch. When I was out in the lash every weekend in Brighton we would often have a couple of cheapies in one of the spoons before heading around Black Lion St area but now a night in Brighton usually takes place in The Farm or similar. Maybe The Windmill. Perhaps if I was out every night I might only be able to afford Spoons but my days of pouring cheap lagers down my Gregory and queuing ten deep at The Black Lion are , by and large, done.

This. They have their place but no longer for me. Of course i go in if friends have made that the meet location but thats about it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had a quick lunch Spoons in Burgess Hill a couple of weeks ago. It's not gastro-pub by any means, but two (reasonable quality) meals and a couple of drinks for about £15 is great value. It's about the same as two coffees and two panini in Costa, so much better value than that for starters.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Had a quick lunch Spoons in Burgess Hill a couple of weeks ago. It's not gastro-pub by any means, but two (reasonable quality) meals and a couple of drinks for about £15 is great value. It's about the same as two coffees and two panini in Costa, so much better value than that for starters.

I go in there for breakfast on a Friday. Ok the quality is not the best but what do people expect for the price....plenty of it though.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Got to Derby at about 10am on the day of the play-off 2nd last year, so me and friends decided that we might as well head to 'spoons and start to numb the inevitable defeat that was to come. The Taxi driver told us that there was two Wetherspoons next door to each other, but he strongly recommended that we only go in the "good one".

The Good one was called The Standing Order, and it's safe to say it was actually a bloody impressive looking pub inside, with the normal 'Spoons pricing and product range. It wasn't very busy, probably due to the time of day we were in there, but the type of customer in there wasn't what I'd have expected, seeming to mainly be families and foreign students .I really struggle to complain about somewhere where you can get a pint and a Burger with chips for less than £7.

The-Standing-Order-pub-in-006.jpg

standing_orders-1.jpg

However, the not nice 'Spoons next door which we ended up in after the game, really wasn't very nice.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Weather spoons are the pub equivalent of a council estate. I like a drink but would.never be seen dead in those naff awful hell holes.

They attract all the alcoholic s and the worst possible crowd. Uugg.

The problem with council estates being.....???

Jules

Jan 17, 2013
Sorry did not mean to sound mean. Each to their own I guess. You can chose to drink in a weatherspoons or the grand as you can choose to stay in a premier inn or a four seasons or holiday in magaluf or in Tuscany. Each to their own. I happen to like the second choices only. Maybe its because im from New york I believe in looking up in life not down.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sorry did not mean to sound mean. Each to their own I guess. You can chose to drink in a weatherspoons or the grand as you can choose to stay in a premier inn or a four seasons or holiday in magaluf or in Tuscany. Each to their own. I happen to like the second choices only. Maybe its because im from New york I believe in looking up in life not down.

You could certainly ' look up' at that wonderful ceiling in the Derby Weatherspoons in post #104.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Are you making an early at attempt at tosser of the year award? If I want to have a nice dinner with family or similar, I might got a a nice restaurant, if I want to have a beer and a bit of a nose bag before a match, bring on the Wetherspoons. Likewise if I need a hotel just for a night's kip...

Who the cluck are you to say that going to Tuscany is 'looking up' vs Magaluf?

Jules

Jan 17, 2013
Not a nice way to speak to a lady. .Each to their own. Some people are very happy going to a weatherspoons and some people are not. We dont really have as much as a social class system in the States as you guys have here. I guess it is aimed at what you guys call working class trades people. Although some tradepeiple I know earn in excess of £60k a year and could afford to go somewhere more upmarket but clearly feel at home in that type of environment. Like I said each to their own or as you seem to like using horse expressions , nosebag ? What is that ! Horses for courses.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Only on NSC could a thread about Wetherspoons turn into a class war.

I'd welcome a Wetherspoons in Paris. You have to re-mortgage your home to buy a pint over here(happy hour aside). Love the ale.

I believe i've been in that swanky looking Spoons that Rohana was kind enough to post a picture of. Had a girlfriend at Derby uni 13 or so years ago. Preferred Sheffield for nightlife.

Last edited:

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Not a nice way to speak to a lady. .Each to their own. Some people are very happy going to a weatherspoons and some people are not. We dont really have as much as a social class system in the States as you guys have here. I guess it is aimed at what you guys call working class trades people. Although some tradepeiple I know earn in excess of £60k a year and could afford to go somewhere more upmarket but clearly feel at home in that type of environment. Like I said each to their own or as you seem to like using horse expressions , nosebag ? What is that ! Horses for courses.

You are making yourself out to sound like a right numpty. Probably best to stop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here