Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Westminster Parliament building £7 billion to restore

Who should fork out the £7 billion to restore Parliament building?

• Taxpayers

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • PFI (Private Finance Initiative)

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Lottery funding

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Demolish and start again

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Abolish democracy

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Sell it off

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The taxpayers should pay for it and they should insist the MP's decamp elsewhere whist it is being done, as they pay for them too.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Repairing the crumbling Houses of Parliament could take as long as 40 years and cost taxpayers £7 billion if MPs refuse to temporarily decamp elsewhere, a report has concluded.

An independent appraisal by industry experts set out the options for refurbishing the 150-year-old Grade I listed building, with the cheapest option - costing £3.5 billion - requiring MPs and peers to decamp to an alternative location for six years while repairs are carried out.

If the pigheadedness of MPs is going to double the costs, then taxpayers should cover the cheapest price, and MPs should fund the difference out of their own pockets. That'll learn them (although it probably won't).

Alternatively, I agree with those above who say move parliament elsewhere to make the country more inclusive, then open up the Houses as a tourist attraction to pay for the repairs.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Alternatively, I agree with those above who say move parliament elsewhere to make the country more inclusive, then open up the Houses as a tourist attraction to pay for the repairs.

Is the correct answer, I suggest a shit hole like Doncaster would be about right for our wonderful MPs.

Preferably in a set of 1980's offices on an Industrial Estate.

Buy up a multi-storey block of flats for MPs accommodation nearby.

Jobs a Good 'un! :thumbsup:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Take over the Scottish Parliament for 6 years ? They won't need it :)

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
None of the above options.
Open the building as a tourist spot and let that pay for itself.
Then have a building built that represents the democracy we want to become and is far more inclusive in appearance and feel. Rather then having a building which represents and feel confortable to a small amount of privaliged people.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
If the pigheadedness of MPs is going to double the costs, then taxpayers should cover the cheapest price, and MPs should fund the difference out of their own pockets. That'll learn them (although it probably won't).

The repairs need to be done now. How long would a tourist attraction take to earn £7bn?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The repairs need to be done now. How long would a tourist attraction take to earn £7bn?

1) £7 bln was only the rate if you don't evict the 650 incumbent morons that use it as office space. Remove them it becomes cheaper.

2) You don't have to cover it all in one go. Get a cheap loan from the lottery fund and pay it off with tourist income over a few decades. For example, the Second Severn Crossing opened 20 years ago, and is only expected to finish paying for itself with tolls in the early 2020s...

synavm

May 2, 2013
List it and sell it off for tourism and allow it to remain the symbol of democracy we claim to be. Save the £7 Billion and reinvest some of it on building social housing on brown field sites- something that will actually make a difference to people. Reinvest the rest of it on purpose built Government offices- possibly outside London.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The chambers are outdated, too small, and not suited to the modern era of multi-party politics we are moving towards.

A purpose built new parliament in Birmingham is the only sensible choice.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Seems an opportunity to me to build a new parliament equiped and secure for the 21st Century. Argee it would be good to look at that being built in the middle of the country (think of the savings on M.P expenses). It could act as a focal point for the whole nation and perhaps help bring a very divided nation together although I think PR will also be needed for that to happen. Selling the old building with change of use for museum ,art gallery etc would keep the history.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Isn't the logic behind HS2 all about making it quicker to travel between London and Birmingham ? Move Parliament to a purpose built building in the middle of England.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Go for refurb in shorter space and move to madchester for 6 years. Let the northerners live with the big knobs and they will be desperate to send them back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here