Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] West Ham United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I struggle to see how Potter can be held responsible for the defensive mistakes players make. Palace and Newcastle play a very negative style of football. Leeds are a one off. I am happy to admit that Bielsaball seems to be working but I don’t want to see us play like Newcastle and Palace :shrug:

Nor do I but he's the coach so he needs to be coaching the defenders better and he also needs to find a middle ground between playing a negative style of football that gets you points and an entertaining style that gets fewer points. If he hasn't got the players to play the way he wants then he needs to adapt.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Constantly attacked Ryan and posters with a slightly more nuanced opinion.
Spent today attacking posters who have attacked BDB.

By attack you mean challenged a post? That is allowed.

This is a discussion forum.

And yes I challenged the few here who were castigating one of our own players who has performed well (Burn) before a ball was kicked. For shame.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’d suggest it is you who doesn’t get football at PL level. The manager is more than good enough, the problem is the players. We don’t have the players to compete at this level. Blame the chairman for playing moneyball. I can live with relegation, which is a real possibility but no way is Potter to blame for the player’s shortcomings. We are set up to play some of the best football in the PL but the defenders let us down game after game. Bloom’s dream has gone pear shaped due to lack of quality investment on the player front.

I can live with it, we have a fantastic stadium and academy but we fall short on the quality required of first team players required at this level. In no way is Potter responsible for the failings imo. Bring on the Championship.

Lallana is a MASSIVE disappointment to me. Lets’s just play Alzate, at least he’ll improve whereas Lallana is going through the motions on a last big pay cheque. I haven’t been so disappointed in a player for years.

But the manager sets the tactics, and has to make best use of the resources available. The players are making errors but the tactics on set pieces defensively are woeful. The substitutions today were mystifying as well, so not going with the Potter not to blame line. He is as culpable as the everyone else.

However, we actually played well today in the main, it’s just that we have weakened the team defensively and that shows on set-pieces.

Why not play Veltman at right back?

Agree on Lallana. Gross has played well this season and is a threat centrally, as is MacAllister. Molumby doesn’t get a look in. Trossard is rarely at the races, though not terrible today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If we're to go by what the club publicly says, I don't think he is. Sacking Hughton to bring in Potter, signing Lallana and Welbeck, all to accept being relegated? Take this article when Welbeck signed, published on the club website, headline "I can help Albion reach the top ten, says Welbeck": https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1868917/i-can-help-albion-reach-the-top-ten-says-welbeck. Unless Tony is envisaging us going down this year, bouncing straight back up and then finishing top ten in the first season back in the Prem, I'd say he's hoping for better league finishes a lot sooner than that if you take into account Danny is 30 already.

You could well be right.

But I get the feeling Tony is quite taken with GP. I guess we’ll find out come end of the season. If we are relegated there will undoubtedly be heavy discussions.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Respectfully that’s a poor response to the gentleman you’ve quoted who’s laid out a well reasoned argument.

In my humble and ever unwelcome opinion it was full of inaccuracies but I couldn’t really be troubled with pointing them out. An example is where he blames the defenders for our shortcomings, they conceded 2 goals against West Brom, Burnley, Sheff Utd and Fulham and we didn’t win a single fixture, and that’s the defenders fault? How do you win a game without scoring?
Also, his opening sentence is a bit arrogant but hey ho.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nor do I but he's the coach so he needs to be coaching the defenders better and he also needs to find a middle ground between playing a negative style of football that gets you points and an entertaining style that gets fewer points. If he hasn't got the players to play the way he wants then he needs to adapt.

Fair comment but I will back toe to toe football over 11 men behind the ball every time. I’d rather wait until we reach “must win” games before we go back to Hughtonball though.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Just reading some of the criticisms of Potter and how it was HIS fault that our defenders were at fault for the 2 West Ham goals.

Take the 2nd. Great corner, Dunky tickled it where he should have cleared and White not interested in tracking Souček. How is that Potter's fault?

Thankfully, most people have a brain and back Potter.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
You could well be right.

But I get the feeling Tony is quite taken with GP. I guess we’ll find out come end of the season. If we are relegated there will undoubtedly be heavy discussions.

“Tony is quite taken with GP” that is fecking priceless. Yeah I’d be really taken with someone who wants to jeopardise my mutli-million pound investment- if you meant taken as in-to the cleaners then yes I agree with you

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Just reading some of the criticisms of Potter and how it was HIS fault that our defenders were at fault for the 2 West Ham goals.

Take the 2nd. Great corner, Dunky tickled it where he should have cleared and White not interested in tracking Souček. How is that Potter's fault?

Ah, so people that have a different opinion are brainless, good to know.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In my humble and ever unwelcome opinion it was full of inaccuracies but I couldn’t really be troubled with pointing them out. An example is where he blames the defenders for our shortcomings, they conceded 2 goals against West Brom, Burnley, Sheff Utd and Fulham and we didn’t win a single fixture, and that’s the defenders fault? How do you win a game without scoring?
Also, his opening sentence is a bit arrogant but hey ho.

How many times have we taken the lead, only to concede goals? No blame on the defenders for frankly soft goal most times? Go ahead and blame the manager, your prerogative :shrug:

I just don’t get how it is Potter’s fault. Not sure how that is anyway arrogant.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There is no money- COVID = no crowd income= tony keeping things afloat + Tv money

All EPL clubs are making significant losses, in fact the Albion have throughout their EPL stay. TB bankrolling the net cash outflows.

So inevitably TB funds signings to an extent.

I’ve not been one of those demanding a £30m striker with wages double those of the rest of the squad. Instead for the large scouting team to work their magic, let’s not discount the loan market.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

[emoji106]

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
How many times have we taken the lead, only to concede goals? No blame on the defenders for frankly soft goal most times? Go ahead and blame the manager, your prerogative :shrug:

I just don’t get how it is Potter’s fault. Not sure how that is anyway arrogant.

Several times we’ve lost the lead and it’s usually due to set pieces, that’s down to the manager’s system.

Your opening gambit where you stated the other poster didn’t understand PL football seemed a bit self assured to me, apologies if I misunderstood the meaning behind it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A football brain yes. To try to claim I said people are brainless, which I clearly didn't, is laughable.

I clearly misunderstood, I thought when you said “ people with a brain back Potter” was suggesting that if you doubt Potter you don’t have a brain? Again, apologies that I misunderstood what you were inferring.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

This.

Potter sets us up brilliantly but he is being let down by players who make individual mistakes every week that no manager could do anything about.

I’m astonished some fans want him out, so short sighted, he’s a brilliant manager and needs backing by fans and backed with funds from the board.

boik

I think part of the post game analysis on a forum is analysing where we could have done better, and where players have struggled.

The defending on set pieces is unacceptable both individually and collectively, and you can’t comment on one without the other. At the end of the day this is a forum for discussion.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I said, I'm quite happy discussing such things. It's what I do with friends when we go to matches. But we don't stand there saying that Potter must go, Maupay is cr@p, Trossard is a lazy ****.

People seems to have their own betes noir that they lay into at every opportunity. I try to be constructive where I can. I called [MENTION=1517]junior[/MENTION] out today for trashing Solly when it was obvious that Solly was working hard and doing really well.

You're right, the defending scares me at every set piece. Not sure if it's the system, or maybe defenders buying into the line that they are now ball-playing defenders and can't just Row Z it any more?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here