Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham target Dunk as Reid replacement

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Before the Jury's Inn-cident, wasn't it Arsenal who were said to be interested? And I've just read this quote from Alan Shearer on the BBC website just now:

Arsenal 2-0 Hull "Arsene Wenger took a lot of pressure off himself and the club by winning the FA Cup. He signed some players in the summer but they never signed the commanding centre half they needed and I think that's why the pressure is now back on him now. But in his defence there are not a lot of top quality defenders out there."

Don't want to see Dunk leave, but hopefully West Ham won't be the only ones interested, which presumably could push up the price.

I thought Wenger signed Callum Chambers with the intention of playing him as centre back in future years. However Chambers has still a lot to learn to play CB in the Premiership. Last season he was playing as a fullback for Southampton, not CB. Mertasacker and Konscienly are'nt getting any younger though.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Would be happy with 5plus mil, we have cover a glen rea is going to be better

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
If the fee is high enough, he is keen on the move and we can replace him we'd have to let him go. If we are to attract the highest calibre youngsters to our acadamy we need to show them and their parents we will not stand in a players way if a lucrative move comes up.

To an extent we'll always be a selling club i'm afraid it's just now we can get a fair price or delay transfers to our advantage.

Feb 14, 2010
If the fee is high enough, he is keen on the move and we can replace him we'd have to let him go. If we are to attract the highest calibre youngsters to our acadamy we need to show them and their parents we will not stand in a players way if a lucrative move comes up.

To an extent we'll always be a selling club i'm afraid it's just now we can get a fair price or delay transfers to our advantage.

Every English club is a selling club, even Man United (who had to sell Ronaldo to Madrid). It is just a question of who you are selling to and what you get for the player.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
We would be mad to let him go now. Wait to the summer, once we've secured our position in the Championship. Then get the most we can for him which would be around the £6m mark.

Feb 14, 2010
We would be mad to let him go now. Wait to the summer, once we've secured our position in the Championship. Then get the most we can for him which would be around the £6m mark.

If we dont then as with all players who dont get their move, its likely he will have an injury until he gets his move. Cynical but actually, if you were the player then you would do the same thing. If any of us had a chance of playing Premier League football then all of us would do all we can to get it. If he has a chance of the big time then we get the market value plus the January supplement and we have to wish him well. He is a young lad and we cant expect him to stay in the hope his form continues and he does not get an injury. Sometimes you get one chance in life and this could be his.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
This is how a club like ours will make its money now, develop players, get some good first team football out of them, then sell them on for a big wedge.

One club. One ambition.

More like one step forward, two steps back.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
To a mid table PL club, £8m for a CB who scores goals and can pass is not unreasonable from a championship club who have been in and around the play offs.
Fact is we need him so lets wait til the summer.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Every English club is a selling club, even Man United (who had to sell Ronaldo to Madrid). It is just a question of who you are selling to and what you get for the player.

Quite.

West Ham are much higher up the football food chain than us, can offer much better wages and can almost guarantee premier league/top end 2nd tier football.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
With all due respect to Jevs, who the f are West Ham? Sell him to a big club, not some noddy Premiership outfit (1966 not withstanding) like the Hammers!

#underwhelmed

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
If we dont then as with all players who dont get their move, its likely he will have an injury until he gets his move. Cynical but actually, if you were the player then you would do the same thing. If any of us had a chance of playing Premier League football then all of us would do all we can to get it. If he has a chance of the big time then we get the market value plus the January supplement and we have to wish him well. He is a young lad and we cant expect him to stay in the hope his form continues and he does not get an injury. Sometimes you get one chance in life and this could be his.

I really think we will dig our heels in over this one if an offer is made. We simply can't let Dunk go now, with Hughton just on board and saying we need to strengthen, and us so close to the relegation places. We'll hold out til the summer and sell then if we receive a bid we can't refuse. Hughton's task will be to keep Dunk motivated til then. Anyway, we haven't received a bid yet.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Our best defender & leading scorer - £8 million please.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don't sell. No need to speak figures.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I've been really impressed with Dunk this season, despite our current predicament, so no wonder Premier League clubs are sniffing around.

If we got over 4/5 million for him (which is pretty good money for a Championship centre back.), I'd be fairly happy, as much as it'll sad to see him go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here