Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham stadium details

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The track thing is a bit bollocks, they aren't that bad. Certainly the Olympic Stadion in Berlin does not suffer because of it

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
If you are considering the net cost to the tax-payer of the Olympic stadium you have to consider more than the rent that West Ham will pay. For instance the increase in VAT higher crowds would bring. Having sold well over 40000 season tickets they look on course to achieve crowds around 20000 higher than at Upton Park next season. That could easily equate to an extra 2.5m in VAT. As tax payers we all now have a vested interest in West Ham continued success.

There are probably a whole host of other things you could take into account in order to determine what value we have got for our Olympic money (e.g. stamp duty on the flats that Upton Park will presumably be converted to, or even the spend of sports tourists which is an increasingly big market).

That said it does seem a favourable deal for West Ham as they were holding all the aces. There are certainly comparisons to be drawn with the O2.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
If West Ham crack on and regularly qualify for the Champions League I can see them buying the stadium at some point.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The track thing is a bit bollocks, they aren't that bad. Certainly the Olympic Stadion in Berlin does not suffer because of it

london_olympic_stadium_r220612_lo.jpg

Would you have wanted to be behind the goal at a West Ham game then ?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
So they'll be paying twice the rent we do and won't get the benefit of the first £4m from naming rights to help with FFP. Doesn't sound that sweet a deal to me.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
If you are considering the net cost to the tax-payer of the Olympic stadium you have to consider more than the rent that West Ham will pay. For instance the increase in VAT higher crowds would bring. Having sold well over 40000 season tickets they look on course to achieve crowds around 20000 higher than at Upton Park next season. That could easily equate to an extra 2.5m in VAT. As tax payers we all now have a vested interest in West Ham continued success.

There are probably a whole host of other things you could take into account in order to determine what value we have got for our Olympic money (e.g. stamp duty on the flats that Upton Park will presumably be converted to, or even the spend of sports tourists which is an increasingly big market).

That said it does seem a favourable deal for West Ham as they were holding all the aces. There are certainly comparisons to be drawn with the O2.

Good post.

It may be a great deal for WHU but I for one am happy they are going there. Not least because the transport is so much better than to/from Upton Park. All those whinging will be first in the bunfight for tickets next season should we be promoted.

There are other external impacts as well, such as the need for housing in expanding East London, that help to provide workers for London's economy.

PG

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
With the seats out for the rugby.

Exactly.
Something HAD to be done about the running track, it would have been a truly dreadful venue for football without having it converted. That looks pretty decent.

Wouldn't want to be sat behind one of those big screens though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There was talk last year of plans to stage some regular season MLB games at the Olympic Stadium, possibly in 2017 - I'd be all over that like a tramp on chips. If the stadium can be adapted to host those kind of events, along with regular PL football, then it could eventually start justifying itself as being financially viable in the long term.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I can't claim to know, but I just don't believe that. You think Spurs were only pretending to want the stadium - fine, LLDC should have gone along with it and suggested they were the preferred bidder, as West Ham's proposal didn't look likely to be acceptable to the taxpayer. The fact is, West Ham would have paid more if they had to. They wouldn't have cut off their nose to spite their face.

I go along with the thought Spurs pretended as well, The planning application for the new WHL was going through a tricky period and they needed to put pressure on the local council - it's arrogance, but the club knew haringey council needed Spurs.

If Levy moved the club to The Olmpic stadium he would be shot.

I doubt LLDC ever believed Spurs wanted it.

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I don't see any issue with this ... they have just sorted the best deal they could get for the club.

Good luck to them.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't see any issue with this ... they have just sorted the best deal they could get for the club.
The issue is that the council have shafted the tax payer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The issue is that the council have shafted the tax payer.

The council had painted themselves into a corner, and were in a very weak bargaining position. They didn't set out to shaft the taxpayers - but their rank incompetence on this has led to exactly that happening. West Ham were just smart enough to take full advantage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here