Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham... Olympic Stadium

Dicey-son

Aug 31, 2012
I don't understand why they want the Olympic stadium. In my opinion it's far too big, and the pitch is miles away from the crowd. There would be no atmosphere, not like our fort!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The problem with a club which (as Geoff Hurst rightly says) is "yo-yoing" is that if they commit while at the upper end of their current cycle then subsequently dip into the Championship, they will be playing to an empty stadium with the very real risk of going bust big time with such a massive albatros tied round their necks. Stick to blowing bubbles!

There are only a handful of clubs who should even be considered as suitable tenants but football at an athletics stadium just doesn't work and the real answer is of course to retain it as a national athletics stadium in order to inspire future generations.

Still, as our new health secretary who thought the opening ceremony celebration of the NHS was inappropriate, was part of the team determining the stadium's future use it would have been niaive to have believed that the pre-Games' hype would actually have a life beyond the closing ceremony

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think most hammers fans DON'T want to move to the Olympic Stadium. They'll fill the first two rows as stated before but they'll all need binoculars to see any action. The stadium is not designed for football and will have an awful atmosphere, be 1/2 empty most of the time and will probably be overpriced. . . . Good luck to them!

Dicey-son

Aug 31, 2012
I heard last week and it's half mentioned in the article, that someone had proposed that it's used as the stadium section for a new F1 track. I think that would be amazing as an F1 fan. However, the legacy that these successful games should leave is the National athletics stadium to be used for future generations, not a half filled football stadium so West Ham can pretend to be Barcelona for a year (till they get demoted).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The stadium is not designed for football and will have an awful atmosphere, be 1/2 empty most of the time and will probably be overpriced. . . . Good luck to them!

I met an Orient fan the other day convinced West Ham would do sub £30 tickets for most games where as Orient charge £23 and that is their fear of it wiping them out.

Mike's Small

Apr 11, 2012
Uckfield
I think most hammers fans DON'T want to move to the Olympic Stadium. They'll fill the first two rows as stated before but they'll all need binoculars to see any action. The stadium is not designed for football and will have an awful atmosphere, be 1/2 empty most of the time and will probably be overpriced. . . . Good luck to them!

This. We would probably get near capacity (proposed 60000) for many Premier League games, but atmosphere would be lessened and if we did go back down then expect 30000 so half-filled. Add to this the binoculars-needed-for-viewing problem and most are against the idea.

Mike's Small

Apr 11, 2012
Uckfield
I heard last week and it's half mentioned in the article, that someone had proposed that it's used as the stadium section for a new F1 track. I think that would be amazing as an F1 fan. However, the legacy that these successful games should leave is the National athletics stadium to be used for future generations, not a half filled football stadium so West Ham can pretend to be Barcelona for a year (till they get demoted).

Barcelona?

Demoted?

Tit.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Isn't it mostly due to the property value of Upton Park?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
This. We would probably get near capacity (proposed 60000) for many Premier League games

Do you really think you would? You had to put a couple of full page ads in the Metro/Evening Standard for games at Upton Park already this season with ticket deals etc.

Mike's Small

Apr 11, 2012
Uckfield
Do you really think you would? You had to put a couple of full page ads in the Metro/Evening Standard for games at Upton Park already this season with ticket deals etc.

Yeah, I said many. Not games like Villa, Fulham, Sunderland and Southampton. However for Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and a few others I reckon at least 50000 would sell. Don't forget the opposition would get a larger allocation and there would be many JCLs jumping on the new stadium bandwagon (as there are at the Amex).

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yeah, I said many. Not games like Villa, Fulham, Sunderland and Southampton. However for Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and a few others I reckon at least 50000 would sell. Don't forget the opposition would get a larger allocation and there would be many JCLs jumping on the new stadium bandwagon (as there are at the Amex).

Yeah, I know you did, I read it. But you are West Ham remember - let's not get too carried away here shall we fella? Know your place and all that.

Cheers :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Isn't it mostly due to the property value of Upton Park?

partially, but also the attractions of moving into an already built stadium with larger capacity. more capacity = more revenue. at 35k the Boleyn ground restricts the clubs potential (like our 25k will one day). bearing in mind thier catchment isnt just the local area but much of Essex too, they could potentially rival the other big London clubs if they had the revenue from 20k extra Essex boys poping down the A12 every other weekend.

it also make the club a much more attractive propostion if you were to sell it. this is after all how Man City went from the other club in Manchester to what they are now, after being gifted a 47k stadium they couldnt have afforded otherwise. they managed to get rid of the running track, so it might not work out so well for West Ham, but i think thats what they have in mind.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Don't forget the opposition would get a larger allocation and there would be many JCLs jumping on the new stadium bandwagon (as there are at the Amex).

It's not QUITE the same though, is it? We effectively had no stadium, and were barely a 'proper' football club for a decade.

West Ham would be going from a great, traditional football stadium to a big stadium not designed for football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here