Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wes Browns red. No wonder Gus was upset!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Apparently the ref said because it was for the potential of the tackle. even though he won the ball it was way he went it.
Is this what it is coming to?

been saying and thinking this for ages
its become a girls game
was the ref in this game selectively blind when the forward was raked down the chest by the goalkeeper
and I still have thoughts about refs having an agenda against Gus
OG has the right idea say nothing

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can't agree re: safety, otherwise by your logic every broken leg = red card, which as you know is nonsense.

No it doesn't. Not every leg broken in a challenge is a result of the challenge. Some times it's about studs being trapped, sometimes it's about the way that the player falls or turns. The challenges where it is the challenge that broke the leg and didn't receive a red card are argued as being deserving of a red and the ref getting it wrong.

But I'll clarify, it's not about intent, it's about whether a challenge is careless, reckless, or uses excessive force, which is about the concern shown towards an opponent for their safety.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Apparently the ref said because it was for the potential of the tackle. even though he won the ball it was way he went it.
Is this what it is coming to?

That sounds like the argument refs made when Robbie fowler was given a penalty for jumping over David seaman.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
really happy he got a red as really want to see Gus fail :)

but, it wasn't even a yellow - or a foul. Play on and have a word with Wes was the best thing to do.

If a team bottom of the table away can't tackle hard we might as well all pack up....."and go home."

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Took me 5 minutes of watching that before I realised Sunderland were in yellow :wozza:

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
And yet hughes said it was an obvious sending off...wonder why

Not on the BBC site bhe doesn't:

"I'm sure Gus feels a little bit aggrieved about the red card, but my interpretation of it was that maybe Wes was a little bit out of control and a little bit reckless.

"At the time I thought it was a poor challenge. Whether or not it merited a sending-off that is obviously the debate after the game, which is a shame because it takes the shine off our performance. We played really well today.

"I've looked at it myself on a laptop and I think from different angles it looks worse than from other angles.

"Obviously the referee, from his angle, felt it merited a sending-off and I can understand why that's the case. Charlie got caught on the outside of his legs about shin-level."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24969017

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just seen it from several angles on Goals on Sunday. Terrible, terrible decision. Perhaps one of the worst I've ever seen. Encapsulates everything that's wrong with the modern game IMO, red card for winning the ball, OTT appeal from Hughes, coat related hysterics from Gus. Bollocks.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
But after sending Brown off for that, he then allows the Stoke 'keeper to stay on the pitch after a kung-fu kick on a Sunderland striker :eek:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
But after sending Brown off for that, he then allows the Stoke 'keeper to stay on the pitch after a kung-fu kick on a Sunderland striker :eek:

Who got hit on the tit and held his face Rivaldo style, admittedly though, that was dangerous.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Who got hit on the tit and held his face Rivaldo style, admittedly though, that was dangerous.

Also worth mentioning the keeper clearly kicked the ball away first.

Brown didn't need to go into the tackle like he did. It's never a red card, but I can understand why the referee thought it was, on one viewing at full speed. It was an unnecessary challenge to make, but it shouldn't have been a red card.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus was absolutely right IMO. Thought he sounded a bit tearful again though and he really doesn't look very well.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

I was rolling on the floor laughing. Clear red card for the keeper IMO but blatant attempt at cheating by Fletcher(?) who should have been sent off too.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Gus was absolutely right IMO. Thought he sounded a bit tearful again though and he really doesn't look very well.

He should have stayed at a big club.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The point that nobody in the media is making is that the referee saw it once. What decision would he have made having seen it back a few times? In my opinion, that is the ONLY thing that matters here. It wasn't a red card, and we can all see that because we've seen it a hundred times. The referee made his decision after seeing it live, once. I'm 100% certain that the referee, having seen it again, wouldn't have sent him off.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It was a mistake, not a terrible decision. I could easily see at the time why it was given, and can now easily see after numerous replays that it was a mistake. Nothing to get your pants in a twist about. However, Gus' reaction was hilario and his after match interview purely menthol. So glad we're rid of him.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The point that nobody in the media is making is that the referee saw it once. What decision would he have made having seen it back a few times? In my opinion, that is the ONLY thing that matters here. It wasn't a red card, and we can all see that because we've seen it a hundred times. The referee made his decision after seeing it live, once. I'm 100% certain that the referee, having seen it again, wouldn't have sent him off.

He took a good five seconds to make his mind up though and it looked like he had a perfectly clear view. It's the refs job to get it right first time no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here