Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were you one of the pathetic fans that left early.If so shame on you.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I'm sensing this is more about you choking on your sandwich whilst sat around a table with a bunch of palace fans in the 1901 club than any decent argument. I thought an even keel was about having a solvent football club and fielding 11 players each on the same field?

Hamilton I coudn't eat afterwards so I didn't choke.

An even keel to my mind is having a comparable stadium, where the overwhelming majority of fans can go if they want, a quality manager and a workable playing budget, which to my mind puts us on a real par with Soton, West Ham, Leeds etc, rather than punching above our weight which we did at the Withdean.

Does your version of an even keel not put us on a par with Manchester City? Both solvent, both able to field 11 players.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I left when the third goal went in, which meant I got home at midnight instead of 1am. Do you have a problem with that?

Not at all because like I said the travel problems are almost forcing fans to leave early, once again it was how it looked to our opponents.

Lifes too short, a win like was had in 1988 at Ipswich, Kevin Bremner in the last minute, will lift the gloom.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
you could tell by the title this would be a long thread, I stayed until the bitter end although most around me had gone when the second goal went in

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Ian bloody Hart can go and "do one". Bloody self-rightous git.
I left on 90 minutes as I am a weak and feeble little woman travelling back by train on my own and knew there might be some trouble after that dreadful performance.

I normally stay to applaud the team off the pitch and wouldn't usually leave before the final whistle, but last night was different.
It may be alright if you're a bloke getting away after the game with a load of your mates, but most of us that did leave a bit early had a very good reason to do so.

Not self righteous, it an emotional time for us all, a knee jerk reaction and a reminder why I don't miss the radio week in week out, as I said just felt it didn't look good, but in the cold light of day can understand why people did it.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I wonder if Ian Hart had to get the train home from falmer???

I left at 2-1 not because we were 2-1 down but because with evening games I have found that If i want to get home at a sensible hour it becomes impossible to stay until the end.

I would always want to stay until the bitter end and often do stay long after the game finishes on a saturday.

Guarantee me a train home at a reasonable hour and I would stay whatever the score.

He sounds like a complete tool !!!

No didnt I drove, and got out of Bennetts Field shortly before 10.55, back at home shortly before 11.25.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Stayed till the final whistle, and even persuaded the other 2 season ticket holders with me to do the same even though they wanted to leave early.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hamilton I coudn't eat afterwards so I didn't choke.

An even keel to my mind is having a comparable stadium, where the overwhelming majority of fans can go if they want, a quality manager and a workable playing budget, which to my mind puts us on a real par with Soton, West Ham, Leeds etc, rather than punching above our weight which we did at the Withdean.

Does your version of an even keel not put us on a par with Manchester City? Both solvent, both able to field 11 players.

I guess we're not on an even keel with Hull then, what with them having been in their stadium for longer and having parachute payments. What about Ipswich? Are we on an even keel with them? Now, Doncaster, we must sort of be on an even keel with them.

There are so many factors that force the even keel. So Withdean was in our favour or not in our favour? Horrible place to come and play. Does that mean that results at Withdean we got because or in spite of the conditions that visiting teams were forced to play in. Was the Man City win down to the oddities of Withdean then?

Just face it. We lost. People left. So what? You had to have a bit of banter with your Palace chums. If we beat them at Selhurst and they all leave you can do the same to them. Maybe they'll say, "well it's not an even keel now - you've got a new stadium and ours is falling to bits, and we haven't got resources to spend on players and you have..."

Blah blah blah and the moans and debates go round.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
NSC in binfest shocker.

On the morning after the night before a time for reflection.

In our thousands we had all been looking forward to this game since long before the fixtures came out, our chance to play Palace on 'an even keel' ie a decent a stadium, for the first time in almost a generation, correct me if Im wrong but was the last league fixture against them at the Goldstone Boxing Day 1988, nearly 23 years ago?

So to play so well in the opening minutes and then capitulate in the manner we did, hurts, the thousands leaving before the end do so for various reasons, a large number because of the shit travel infrastructure, you could almost argue the club are forcing people to leave early, what I was trying to say last night when I had a microphone shoved under my nose at a time when I was feeling as low as I had done ever after a game, was that for whatever reasons people left it didn't look good, not for a club reborn in a state of the art stadium. There were Palace fans in the 1901 on the table next to us, crowing who immediately banged on about plastic support and fair weather fans, which was always going be the danger with the exodus. So sorry not self righteous, not slagging people off, just worried about how it all looks to our biggest rivals.

Ian Hart

I dont care what it looks like to palace fans or any other fans that second half performance was awful and it got worse as the half wore on so if i choose to leave when we went 3-1 down and game lost then it was my choice, My decision and it's nothing to do with you or anyone else.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
No didnt I drove, and got out of Bennetts Field shortly before 10.55, back at home shortly before 11.25.

Well, bully for you. You're obviously a much better fan than all of us who left early.

Try catching the train home after an evening game some time, you might learn something from the experience, ie. what it's like to be a fan who doesn't have the privelege of being able to use the car park.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Well, bully for you. You're obviously a much better fan than all of us who left early.

Try catching the train home after an evening game some time, you might learn something from the experience, ie. what it's like to be a fan who doesn't have the privelege of being able to use the car park.

Its not a privilege Daffy, you have to pay.

And my son gets the train every game, so I know what that entails as well.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I dont care what it looks like to palace fans or any other fans that second half performance was awful and it got worse as the half wore on so if i choose to leave when we went 3-1 down and game lost then it was my choice, My decision and it's nothing to do with you or anyone else.

And as I stated I understand your decision.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Really? How pathetic.

When can we meet up with BBC SCR and I'll kick you in the nuts, then put a microphone under your nose. FFS it was knee jerk reaction from a game that I probably looked forward to more than any since the 83 Cup final.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
FFS it was knee jerk reaction from a game that I probably looked forward to more than any since the 83 Cup final.

Yep .. move on ... if they had stuck a microphone under my nose it wouldn't have been repeatable ... as someone else said half the team had checked out way before the crowd

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
What I would like to know is: Is this going to become a habit? are fans going to leave 10, 20, 30, 45 mins before the end when they don't like the result? What about when we're at the other end of the table? What if we get a real hiding like Steve McLaren did tonight? Why buy a ST in the first place? You don't walk out half way through a movie (most of the time).

But it wasn't about the result, it was about the way the team played for the final 70 minutes. They didn't look as though they wanted to be there and so we had every right to let our feet talk back to them. I left at 1-3, only my second early departure since a debacle against Everton in 1983. Gus isn't apologising and nor am I.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Shame on me then.

Before yesterday i've never left early. At withdean I would stand on the track but to the end.

HOWEVER, yesterday was different. With the third goal SO MANY people left that our group KNEW we would miss our buses to Rottingdean (Route R) if we didnt go then. With the rottingdean buses this has previously meant waiting 30-45 mins for the next batch of buses.

In our group we had me who had to leave at 5 today for work and a mate who had to leave at around 4am to get back to his work location.

Its a shame but id rather have missed the last 2 mins (mostly watched on the tv in the concourse anyway) and make sure I get home at sensible time rather than hold out for 2 more mins of misery and then put up with a 30+ min wait with the palace fans BAITING me.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Nobody likes being called "pathetic" just for leaving early.
I really don't care if you "understand why" or not.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
I'd hazard a guess that the percentage of fans who leave their seats early is no different to what it was at Withdean - differences being of course there is no running track to watch from now and thus allowing a quick exit and the crowd is four times as big so it is more noticable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here