Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were you around in 1983

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When Mike Bailey was sacked as manager because we were playing unattractive football and winning 1 -0 and were 6th in the top division. That was pre 1983
Wasn't it early in 1983 that Mike Bailey was sacked? I'm pretty sure we played the first part of the 82/83 season under Bailey before getting in the clown Melia.

el punal

Even though it was the top division some of the dumps we played at defied belief. Meadow Lane,Vicarage Road and the Dell spring immediately to mind.
Indeed! The away end at the Dell (Archers Road) beggared belief. Not only was it a very shallow terrace, it was surrounded by metal fencing which made viewing the game difficult where ever you stood. The nearest thing to being in a cage at a zoo.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
My footballing ambition remains to see the Albion play in Europe before I peg out. We came so close in 83, and I remain ever hopeful that they can go one step further with a cup win or fair play or whatever. What an experience that would be.

I was supporting the Albion in 1963, let alone 1983, which was undoubtedly the pinnacle. During the 60s and early 70s prior to Mike Bamber, the idea of the Albion being at Wembley was a pipedream -promotion this year, and with a team that can compete at Premier League level, next season or whenever, then who knows what the younger generation will witness. I certainly hope so for their sakes.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
We were 6th the previous season, we won 1-0 at Liverpool, 1-0 at Spurs, 2-0 at Southampton etc and it wasn't enough for the MOANERS

I BET you were ONE of them DEMANDING he was SACKED

Remember them well. Especially the win at spurs. You wouldn 't have found me moaning.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I didnt mean to infer we were 6th when Mike Bailey was sacked although he had taken us to 6th previously. To answer Ernest anybody that has read my posts about not conceeding a goal and getting 23 x 1 - 0 wins would realise that I wouldnt have been one of the moaners then as to me the result is the all important reason and fun of going to a game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A long and painful one, I said at the time I'd rather stay up than get to the Cup Final , might have been a different story if it had have happened

I said the same but accepted the Cup Final as a 1 off. If memory serves me well wasnt there talk at the time of the FA saying that to be in the Euro competition the team had to be in the top thus trying to stop us going into Europe had we won.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
First home game was against Arsenal we were 0-3 by half time but held them 0-0 second half

It was 4-0. In fact, if I recall it was 0-0 until about 30 mins.

Thought it finished up 4 -0 but wont argue what I do know is that we never exceeded 30,000 gate for any game when in the 1st Division.

I was 15 in '83.

As for Mike Bailey, the '82 football was boring, but we achieved results and when he tried to change it the following season, we started conceding goals for fun, culminating I him getting the sack

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I was supporting the Albion in 1963, let alone 1983, which was undoubtedly the pinnacle. During the 60s and early 70s prior to Mike Bamber, the idea of the Albion being at Wembley was a pipedream -promotion this year, and with a team that can compete at Premier League level, next season or whenever, then who knows what the younger generation will witness. I certainly hope so for their sakes.

My first game was 1958 v Liverpool. Wouldn't it be great to go through it again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here