Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were we right to blow the living s**t out of Iraq?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Loosely related, there's a great podcast called Radiolab by NPR in the US. They did a podcast recently called 60 Words which goes into the reaction to 9/11 and the Congress decision to allow the President such a wide range or retaliatory powers. Very interesting and worth a listen.

Haven’t listened to it all but will finish when I have time. Very interesting so far.

The psychology and mind games used to orchestrate this war are straight out of the history books. The crazy thing is they were already planning to attack Iraq and the WTC conveniently played the war card into their hands. The only irritant of the WTC is that they had to go to Afghanistan first. Saddam was their priority not Bin Laden.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
America wanted massive retaliation after the atrocity of 911.
Blair promises UK's backing 100%.
Enemy identified as Al Qaeda.
Afghanistan invaded to try and root out Bin Laden.
Story emerges that Mohammed Atta had met an Iraqi intelligence agent in Prague. Proof enough for Dick Cheney, who declared on CNN that it was “pretty well confirmed” that the Iraq government had colluded with al-Qaeda.
Bush mentions an Axis of Evil, regimes who fecking hate America: North Korea, Iran, Iraq.
Blair mentions weapons of mass destruction.

Conclusion: We blow the s**t out of Iraq.

"Shock and Awe" or "Shock and Flawed"?

The people you should be asking the question "Were we right to blow the living s**t out of Iraq?" is in fairness not us sitting in relative safety in Sussex but the 100`s of thousands if not millions of Iraqis who were tortured,maimed,killed,raped and imprisoned by a sadistic ruler and his sadistic family.Ask them this question and see if they would have preferred we never got involved.

Camicus

Its odd how the WMD we didn't find in Iraq have surfaced in Syria. Did Blair lie? yes but he is a politician so its to be expected. Did Sadam play prod the US with a stick to see what happens ? Yes and he should have known better. Are to blame for the 600000 deaths since the invasion? Somewhat but its muslim killing muslim and they should take responsibility for there own actions.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
the people of Afghanistan may disagree with you there, their lifes are far from the tyranical medieval world of the Taliban imposed. Iraq not so much. score draw?

though Iraq would have collapsed sooner or later.

I just wonder for how long though.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I remember Blair standing up in the House of Commons telling the House that Iraq was a threat to our national security & were capable of an attack on our mainland with WOMD. I thought, "surely nobody believes this bullshit".

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I remember Blair standing up in the House of Commons telling the House that Iraq was a threat to our national security & were capable of an attack on our mainland with WOMD. I thought, "surely nobody believes this bullshit".

Bush's puppet

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Its odd how the WMD we didn't find in Iraq have surfaced in Syria.
Syria had -- perhaps still has -- a chemical weapons infrastructure and stockpiles for a generation. The are right next to Israel, after all.
They didn't need whatever got bootlegged in from Iraq. Anything a Warsaw Pact ally of the Soviet Union had ca. 1990, they got. They were that tight with the USSR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here