Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Were we poor or did Sheffield United make us look poor?

Were we poor or did Sheffield United make us look poor?

• We were poor

Votes: 95 35.3%
  • Sheff Utd made us look poor

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • It was a bit of both

Votes: 141 52.4%

• Total voters

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It was a 1_0 thrashing. Beaten by a better team not better players. So much was wrong including worst performances from 2 central players I have seen for a long time. Then keeping them on and playing 2nd half with 3 central strikers .Very odd. Was crying out at 1-0 to replace Stevens and Gross with Alzate and Bissoma to get forward and help supply Maupay and Trossard with some decent service

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apart from their no 17 McGoldrick, who to me looked the best player on the pitch yesterday

David McGoldrick 2019/20:

Appearances: 15
Shots: 34
Shots on target: 16
Big chances missed: 15
Goals: 0

He kept us in the game yesterday, along with that VAR bloke.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
First half was unbelievably bad. Knocking it long to the side of Maupay who had three centre backs on him at least ten times. Just giving possession away. It seemed deliberate even though it isn’t our usual game plan and had zero chance of working. Very very odd.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
They did what they do well, we did what we do very badly. We we poor and that’s why we lost.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Put him in an attack-minded team, instead of one with eight defenders, and he might just flourish. Even despite the stats he looks like Locadia Plus. Tho judging by the way he bossed the play in a Mooy stylee, he might well do better playing to his obvious strengths and dropping back into midfield.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Put him in an attack-minded team, instead of one with eight defenders, and he might just flourish. Even despite the stats he looks like Locadia Plus. Tho judging by the way he bossed the play in a Mooy stylee, he might well do better playing to his obvious strengths and dropping back into midfield.

If he could finish he would be in an attack minded team with a bigger budget than United. Like us they have made the best of the sum of their parts. Well, mostly like us. Not like us yesterday.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They were just confident and organised - played hardly any football and the stats actually show we bossed the game weirdly. But we weren’t good - they just frustrate teams.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

He also kept us well out of the game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They were just confident and organised - played hardly any football and the stats actually show we bossed the game weirdly. But we weren’t good - they just frustrate teams.

Wilder would’ve been elated that every single detail went to exactly to plan.

Allow Brighton to play their pointless slow-mo passing triangles 70 yards from goal, keep 6 to 8 outfield players behind the ball, don’t give Stephens or Mooy a second on the ball, and unleash the Mc’s to run through the naive 40 yard gap between Dunk and Webster.

All ticks from the kickoff.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Both. We were terrible. The huge amount of unforced errors was embarrassing. On the flip side Sheffield United just schooled us. Tight, disciplined and organised, they controlled the game from the outset. We may have had the lion’s share of possession but we played where Utd wanted us to play. Wilder had the better of Potter today, credit where credit is due, the best team won.

I thought in the second half that Sheff United were bit like a park team chasing after the ball, and I expected at least a draw. Awful performance from the Albion. Pacy counter attack teams are going to hammer Sheff United. Fair result though.

From a surfeit of wingers to none fit enough or good enough to play.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bullied by a team whose tactics made us look poor. They gave us no time on the ball and we couldn’t cope. Think old school Wimbledon. Potter was out thought and out fought, as were the team, and Potter didn’t have an answer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought in the second half that Sheff United were bit like a park team chasing after the ball, and I expected at least a draw. Awful performance from the Albion. Pacy counter attack teams are going to hammer Sheff United. Fair result though.

From a surfeit of wingers to none fit enough or good enough to play.

Sheffield Utd were set up to stop wingers, attacking fullbacks, widemen. At least 2 players sitting deep on each wing, suffocating the life out of all Albion attempts to go wide.

Agree, who couldn’t, we were crap from the first second.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Don't know if anyone else spotted this on BT Sport. AC Milan lost 5-0 yesterday to Atalanta, their worst defeat for more than 21 years. Their manager said, "This cannot be the real Milan. We approached the match in the wrong way and you just can't afford to do that against this team. Today's performance was seriously insufficient. I expected a reaction from us in the second half. In fact, we were even worse." With the exception of the final sentence, he could have been describing Albion against the Blades

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Reminded me of THAT England vs Iceland game... they made us look poor and we were suckered into forgetting how we can pass.
CW certainly takes a lot of credit for that.

We do have lots of possession but we still do not seem to create decent chances to score.

I’m convinced things will improve. GP will get where he wants us to be in time.

The possession was in benign areas of play. Mooy to Burn to Mooy, rinse and repeat, whilst the Blades players smoked cigars, waiting for the inevitable error.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
They squeezed our midfield, played a high line at the back so anything Dunk put over just skidded thru on the surface.
Gave Trossard and Pascal no time or space to work and there full backs were all over the pitch when they attacked as well as the Centre Back ( Connell)
I thought they played a great game and hopefully we learnt a lesson yesterday and take heed.

Spurs away will be a different ball game altogether thankfully

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Our tactics were so poor, or at least were shown to be ineffective fairly quickly. Managerially we were so poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here