Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Were we ever this bad?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Hart, Minton and Rod Thomas were beacons of class in THAT team and the only upside of watching us at The Priestfield

Yes in fairness Minton was good but I was so pissed off when he left I've let that overtake my memory of him!

I know we were all desperate for Thomas to do well, obviously, and he was exciting at times but from my memory those times were too rare and like most lower league wingers, ultimately he flattered to deceive didn't he?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Having travelled the length and breadth of the country to watch Brighton throughout the 90s, I can assure younger viewers that we were equally this crap and worse at times. :(

Sad, but true

This, we were truly awful, just awful, words cannot express how bad we were.
I came away from games just so dejected, and felt as if all hope of our existence was some kind of purgatory loop I was stuck in.
The thing is we all knew we were just dire, and that really we had no hope, I truly believe the big gates at home towards the end, carried the team over the line, and the ineptitude of other teams to finish us off, that and two other teams Doncaster (who again saved us the following season) and Hereford being equally dreadful.

Those several seasons that we were on that downward spiral, I would not wish on any Albion fan to experience again.

We had some woeful players to be honest, Peter Smith was for all his enthusiast running could hardly cross, Maskell was always arriving late in the box or scuffed shots. Paul Linger, John Westcott, Graeme Atkinson, Ross Johnson, Nicky Rust, Stuart Munday, Kevin McGarrigle all of these players were basically non league players with a few journeymen thrown in like Baird,

Terrible, Terrible football....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes in fairness Minton was good but I was so pissed off when he left I've let that overtake my memory of him!

I know we were all desperate for Thomas to do well, obviously, and he was exciting at times but from my memory those times were too rare and like most lower league wingers, ultimately he flattered to deceive didn't he?

Great full length fingertip save in one game at The Priestfield though :lolol:

It was worth the penalty at the time just for the amusement.

Did he get sent off, I don't remember?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I seem to recall at one point Doncaster had the chairmans neighbour in goal.

Just for the one game. It happened to be their home game 6-pointer against us, which we won 3-1.

Not much footage of us from the mid 90s, but for those who weren't there, have a watch the full 90 mins of Hereford game (not just the highlights) and bear in mind that we were even worse the following season.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I thought Colin Hawkins would be a quality player since he came from the mighty Coventry City.

I was wrong.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This, we were truly awful, just awful, words cannot express how bad we were.
I came away from games just so dejected, and felt as if all hope of our existence was some kind of purgatory loop I was stuck in.
The thing is we all knew we were just dire, and that really we had no hope, I truly believe the big gates at home towards the end, carried the team over the line, and the ineptitude of other teams to finish us off, that and two other teams Doncaster (who again saved us the following season) and Hereford being equally dreadful.

Those several seasons that we were on that downward spiral, I would not wish on any Albion fan to experience again.

We had some woeful players to be honest, Peter Smith was for all his enthusiast running could hardly cross, Maskell was always arriving late in the box or scuffed shots. Paul Linger, John Westcott, Graeme Atkinson, Ross Johnson, Nicky Rust, Stuart Munday, Kevin McGarrigle all of these players were basically non league players with a few journeymen thrown in like Baird,

Terrible, Terrible football....

Ross Johnson was one of our better players! He is the only one on that list (not counting Nicky Rust conceding 8 goals in his debut for Barnet, then being released) to play professional football after leaving us.

He went on to play at Withdean against us for Colchester, where I remember Zamora scored the winner from the old Paul Watson near post routine. His marker? Ross Johnson.

Oh, maybe you're right.

Incidentally, he was my favourite player as a kid and my Dad taught him at primary school.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ross Johnson was one of our better players! He is the only one on that list (not counting Nicky Rust conceding 8 goals in his debut for Barnet, then being released) to play professional football after leaving us.

He went on to play at Withdean against us for Colchester, where I remember Zamora scored the winner from the old Paul Watson near post routine. His marker? Ross Johnson.

Oh, maybe you're right.

Incidentally, he was my favourite player as a kid and my Dad taught him at primary school.

Yes and a thoroughly decent chap by the way, I’ve met him a few times, he is in the building/property trade now.

Still a stinker :lolol:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yes and a thoroughly decent chap by the way, I’ve met him a few times, he is in the building/property trade now.

Still a stinker :lolol:

I met Ross once!

I remember I used to do the "Coca-Cola summer soccer" thing in Preston Park every year, run by Bruce Aitken. (Does anyone know Bruce? Lovely guy, hope he's still with us)

The following year Ross Johnson came for a kickabout. I remember him doing keepy-uppies over everyone, and I realised at that point how good technically even the most average of lower league footballers can be. He remembered me and asked about my Dad (he still called him "Mr" and our surname which was funny). My late Father always had a soft spot for Ross.

Here's the picture before a game (4-0 Vs Hull, home, at the Goldstone). Gave me a signed shirt after which I still have.

https://pasteboard.co/AljQDLkG2YnW.jpg

One little note about that picture, first sorry for the hair. Second, I was shaking so much with nerves and he was so nice, really lovely bloke.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I met Ross once!

I remember I used to do the "Coca-Cola summer soccer" thing in Preston Park every year, run by Bruce Aitken. (Does anyone know Bruce? Lovely guy, hope he's still with us)

The following year Ross Johnson came for a kickabout. I remember him doing keepy-uppies over everyone, and I realised at that point how good technically even the most average of lower league footballers can be. He remembered me and asked about my Dad (he still called him "Mr" and our surname which was funny). My late Father always had a soft spot for Ross.

Here's the picture before a game (4-0 Vs Hull, home, at the Goldstone). Gave me a signed shirt after which I still have.

https://pasteboard.co/AljQDLkG2YnW.jpg

One little note about that picture, first sorry for the hair. Second, I was shaking so much with nerves and he was so nice, really lovely bloke.

1st Great photo, he’s not changed much.
2nd never apologise about hair…
3rd what the heck is going on with the brickwork behind you, really odd.
4th is that the very first half and half scarf (red bit) ?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
1st Great photo, he’s not changed much.
2nd never apologise about hair…
3rd what the heck is going on with the brickwork behind you, really odd.
4th is that the very first half and half scarf (red bit) ?

1. Good to know!
2. State of it! 😂
3. It was actually in the tunnel! He let me walk on the pitch!
4. Nope, just a regular Albion scarf, from the club shop for my 7th birthday or so!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here