[Football] Were we ever this bad?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I remember us singing “we’re shit and we know we are” at Craven Cottage in the dark days. I think MA may have been their manager at the time.

I can’t believe that I went to far more away games when we were shit either :shrug:

We were so bad that I can remember Dean Wilkins being the only player for years that could kill a long pass dead.

I was in awe of some of the intricate passing and ball skills from Brighton players in spells against Saints. We take it all for granted now don’t we? And then moan when things don’t come off :wink:

I think that was the game after we’d marched to the FA.

That was about the quality of every game at the Pissfield … the game against Barnet on bonfire night springs to mind. Biblically shit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What’s wrong with it ? As long as it’s a decent day out supporting your team that’s all that matters. No need to be la di da about it. Scarborough v Hull is/ was a decent local derby.

Indeed. Like 1 or 2 billion football fans are never going to go to a PL game but that really doesnt mean they're any less happy... probably quite the opposite, a lot of times.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

We were worse. I watched most of the games at Gillingham. If we connected a string of three passes it felt like a miracle. Aimless hoofing. And GlennThomas.

shite.jpg

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
There was a game back then when we beat Hull something like 3-0 at Boothferry Park despite having a player (or two?) sent off, and all you could hear on the radio was "We're shit, and we're beating you!"

:D

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I could have been a pro during that time period.

We used to say this most home games, I was mid 20's, still young/fit(ish) and playing . . . I reckon there were probably several hundred at every home game who earned half as much but would have played better for free.

Pressure and 'full fitness' is another thing . . .

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
That was like Man City v Real Madrid compared with Albion v Doncaster at Priestfield - the worst game of professional football (and I use those last two words very loosely) I have ever had the misfortune to watch.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
That was like Man City v Real Madrid compared with Albion v Doncaster at Priestfield - the worst game of professional football (and I use those last two words very loosely) I have ever had the misfortune to watch.

Was that the valentine day one? Don't think there was a shot at goal.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There was a game back then when we beat Hull something like 3-0 at Boothferry Park despite having a player (or two?) sent off, and all you could hear on the radio was "We're shit, and we're beating you!"

:D

Cameron’s last game for us? Was substituted on about 17 minutes, we brought on Culverhouse, the coach, as sub, or am I just imagining it all?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Away v Scunthorpe Utd 1999 i think, Scunthorpe hadn't won a game since the neolithic age then we rock up,slaughtered us ,quite possibly the very worst I've ever seen us play,it verged on the ridiculous and you just had to laugh,I think it was McPhee( could be wrong) who decided to take a quick corner,yes it was a bit breezy but not enough for the ball to somehow go out for a throw on the same bloody side he took it from ffs,:lolol::lolol: never seen that before even at Stanmer Park on a Sunday morning,so yes we were that bad and probably worse at times.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This made me Google "Chris McPhee", whereupon I discovered this (poorly written, with no cited sources, and further Googling yields no results);

"In 2021 Chris McPhee was arrested as part of a sting operation that involves Samuel Tyson sentencing will happen later this year."

Hmmm.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I take it you didn't go to the away game at Darlington that same season then.... My wife refused to go to another game for some while after that.

Mind you - we did manage to park just about 100 yards away from the ground though - so that was a bonus.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Away v Scunthorpe Utd 1999 i think, Scunthorpe hadn't won a game since the neolithic age then we rock up,slaughtered us ,quite possibly the very worst I've ever seen us play,it verged on the ridiculous and you just had to laugh,I think it was McPhee( could be wrong) who decided to take a quick corner,yes it was a bit breezy but not enough for the ball to somehow go out for a throw on the same bloody side he took it from ffs,:lolol::lolol: never seen that before even at Stanmer Park on a Sunday morning,so yes we were that bad and probably worse at times.

Mcphee would have been a kid then so wouldn’t be him, he came along later at Withdean. Don’t blame you for getting it wrong though, most of the players from that era merge into one sea of absolute shit.

The sheer joy I felt watching Gary Hart play after we signed him will live with me forever! Someone who actually cared, could run and had some ability. He stood out like a sore thumb!

Will never forget Hart scoring a really good goal at ‘home’ to Cambridge in an absolutely dreadful 3.1 defeat that made him seem like Maradona compared to the rest of the dross.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003

I was there!! On a FRIDAY NIGHT!!!

To be fair, we played okay that night.......they were just dreadful, even when we'd had two men sent off they never really threatened the goal.

Loads of fans there that night, stuck us in the corner.

Although the football during the 90s was often turgid, the away days were great fun. Random places like Darlington away became great days out :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mcphee would have been a kid then so wouldn’t be him, he came along later at Withdean. Don’t blame you for getting it wrong though, most of the players from that era merge into one sea of absolute shit.

The sheer joy I felt watching Gary Hart play after we signed him will live with me forever! Someone who actually cared, could run and had some ability. He stood out like a sore thumb!

Will never forget Hart scoring a really good goal at ‘home’ to Cambridge in an absolutely dreadful 3.1 defeat that made him seem like Maradona compared to the rest of the dross.

Hart, Minton and Rod Thomas were beacons of class in THAT team and the only upside of watching us at The Priestfield

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
One of the last games at The Priestfield saw us go from being 2-0 up against 10 man Hull to escaping with a 2-2 draw. Dire.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That compilation isn't even Sunday league standard. It was a joke to think that the football was so bad in a professional league. We were garbage at times between 1996 and 1998, luckily Hereford had a catastrophic run (coupled with incredible home form from us) and Doncaster were absolutely pathetic in the same period to ensure they went down instead of us.

I seem to recall at one point Doncaster had the chairmans neighbour in goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports