Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We're top of the league...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
for bad VAR decisions working in our favour over the past five seasons, according to this article...

Really hard to believe, but interesting
My God if we are one of the lucky ones, what does it say for the state of VAR?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yes - but we've been through all this before. It includes ridiculous decisions that would never have been made pre-VAR. Like that Arsenal goal that was miles offside, and everyone, including the scorer knew. but, because they were instructed at that time not to flag - it was ruled out by VAR rather than on the field. And others similar to this.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Misleading title. Mostly it is about this season, and previously there was a massively offside Sheff United goal (or maybe two) from a few years back that wasn't flagged and therefore counted against us. The stats should only account for close decisions.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes - but we've been through all this before. It includes ridiculous decisions that would never have been made pre-VAR. Like that Arsenal goal that was miles offside, and everyone, including the scorer knew. but, because they were instructed at that time not to flag - it was ruled out by VAR rather than on the field. And others similar to this.
The article's about clear errors made by VAR.

Crouch End Seagull

Oct 7, 2003

Every game and very annoying

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Some of it is. But the table we're 'top' of isn't - it's about decisions being overturned by VAR. Not 'overturned in error'. The table of 'most errors by VAR' has us the third worst off team.

Interesting to see that they have deemed the non-penalty against Chelsea as an error.
To be honest, the article's so long I think my brain gave up about a quarter of the way through and just told me it was over.

Also I was thrown by the "bad VAR decisions" bit in the OP, which the article starts with but isn't the table we're top of.

We are, strictly speaking, joint top of the "total confirmed VAR errors against us this season" list with 4, albeit there was also one that went the other way.

SAC

May 21, 2014
The important bit is the Table with VAR Errors Fixed is almost identical to the actual final table and the fact that errors are becoming less frequent. Next season we will have semi automatic offside which will, hopefully, massively speed up these decisions which will also help.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
for bad VAR decisions working in our favour over the past five seasons, according to this article...

Really hard to believe, but interesting
It means we have been on the end of some ridiculously bad on-field decisions. This is not a great advert for VAR we think more a comment on the falling standards in refereeing in the PL.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The table is misleading.
The article talks about bad decision impacts, but the table we are top of, is just a summary of all decisions, good or bad.

We have the most interactions in our favour.
Most of these have been correct as far as I'm aware.

We have had a few "soft" penalties, but I can't think of too many that were clearly incorrect.
We have received 4 or 5 apologies including one for 5 incorrect decisions at Spurs.
I can't thin of a single occasion where an apology has been issued to one of our opponents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here